Is Online dating the next step for me?

Options
2»

Replies

• bandedsandi
    bandedsandi Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in the success of dating sites. If it has worked for you, I'm happy for you, but I've had only bad experiences on them! I have been on different dating sites since 2006. Met the weirdest bunch of guys that i could ever have imagined... but each to his own I suppose. :huh:

I'm currently on Christian Dating for Free - open season for scammers! This morning I got a message from an Australian guy saying: 'Amazing! That you'd even think a fit, healthy, handsome man would be interested in an overweight person such as yourself...!' Nice eh? Very Christian... :noway:

I'll just go hide in a corner now and cry silent tears. :cry:

I suppose I'm just meant to be single. :drinker:
  • Maris_Swan
    Maris_Swan Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I'd say go for it. I felt this way in the spring of 2011 and finally went for it and joined eharmony. I had lost a lot of weight and just found it hard to meet people. First date, after a week of being on the site, I met the man that turned out to be the one I'd be spending the rest of my life with! We are getting married this fall. Take a chance, you never know unless you get out there and try it! Best of luck :)
  • lisa4you143
    lisa4you143 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in the success of dating sites. If it has worked for you, I'm happy for you, but I've had only bad experiences on them! I have been on different dating sites since 2006. Met the weirdest bunch of guys that i could ever have imagined... but each to his own I suppose. :huh:

I'm currently on Christian Dating for Free - open season for scammers! This morning I got a message from an Australian guy saying: 'Amazing! That you'd even think a fit, healthy, handsome man would be interested in an overweight person such as yourself...!' Nice eh? Very Christian... :noway:

I'll just go hide in a corner now and cry silent tears. :cry:

I suppose I'm just meant to be single. :drinker:

Awww forget about him!!! People like him feel like they are gods gift to mandkind. You are bettering yourself and trying to accomplish your goals and that in itself is attractive to people. To purposely go out of his way to put you down just shows what kind of a person he truly is and you don't want to be around that anyways! "Surround yourself with the dreamers and the doers, the believers and the thinkers, but most of all, surround yourself with those who see greatness within you, even when you don't see it yourself" Kinda cheesy I know but it's a good reminder of the kind of people you need to be looking for, and push every one else who doesn't fit that criteria out of your mind :)
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I personally rather meet someone online then at a bar these days.

Most definitely. My boss has a habit of picking up 'bar *kitten*', and that man has had more shots of penicillin than I've drank cups of coffee. Blech.
  • mrowrmeowmrowr
    mrowrmeowmrowr Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    If you are having trouble meeting someone, online dating is definitely a good approach.

Starting with the free ones is a good option. I met my long-term boyfriend off OKcupid. I hear good things from plenty of fish, too.
  • ChrisinGA
    ChrisinGA Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    met my current gf on plentyoffish been 4 yrs now.
    Online only way for me cause i am so shy
  • fara180
    fara180 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    stay away from online dating. it will make you jaded and sick.
  • KainStar
    KainStar Posts: 197
    Options
    That just depends on you. You just gotta be careful. I'm a worry wart. If I were single I'd be scared too. Just because you truly don't know who you are talking to. Anyone can put a picture and name and say its them. I wish you the best of luck hun!
  • hemlock2010
    hemlock2010 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I know this is old school, but lots of people still meet while volunteering at animal shelters, working as a docent at a museum, getting involved with the local music or theatre scene or community groups like young professionals, joining a food coop or a sustainability circle, joining a club, or taking a class.
  • baileysmom4
    baileysmom4 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    You will definitely meet a lot of scammers, people wanting hook ups or FWB (friends with benefits) and mean people. But, if you search thru the crud, you may meet the best thing that ever happened to you. That's what happened to me! I'm engaged to a man I met 2 years ago on match.com. We have a great life and wonderful home. Couldn't ask for more!
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    I do online dating on a pay site. I don't love it, but I think it's a necessary evil. It's hard to meet people around here. I haven't been on an actual good date yet - they've all been flops - but I figure it's got to happen one of these days!

Beware though that it's very superficial. Everything comes down to the pictures, which sucks. Pictures don't really present the full person, their mannerisms or the way they interact with others. It can be frustrating.