Paleo diet?

Options
Anyone tried this? I was surfing the internet and found this diet interesting and I'm gonna maybe give it a try, along with a new workout routine.... anyone done it before or heard of it?

Replies

• ChrisG1975
    ChrisG1975 Posts: 3
    Options
    Have heard of it. I know that several of the people that I used to workout with tried it. I have so many food allergies that I couldn't try it. I also don't believe in being totally restrictive unless you have to (i.e. allergies). Some people did well on the diet, others felt like they were starving. I guess the most important thing to consider is if you think you can make the diet your lifestyle and not just something that you do for a little while.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    My body hates wheat, so Paleo / Primal, low carb-ish, what have you works well with me. I take a mostly primal, low carb approach - higher fat, moderate protein, moderate to low carbohydrate. Little to no grains, with a focus on whole foods. I've found when I up my fat intake I tend to have an easier go of losing weight - however, this doesn't work for everyone and not everyone agrees. Anyways...

There are a lot of theories regarding paleolithic nutrition, so it's not necessarily a one size fits all approach. I'd say the best resources to check are:

Neanderthin by Ray Audette
    Primal Body-Primal Mind by Lora Gedgaudes
    The Paleo Diet by Loren Cordain
    Primal Blueprint by Mark Sisson
    Evolutionary Fitness - developed by Art DeVany (it's a paid website)
    Lyle McDonald (to an extent...at least his work with Ketogenic diets makes sense in this regard)
    the work of Drs. Mike and Mary Dan Eades, authors of Protein Power
    Good Calories, Bad Calories by Gary Taubes
    The Great Cholesterol Con by Malcom Kendrick
    The Vegetarian Myth by Lierre Keith

You'll find some who advocate higher fat, some who don't, some who advocate more carbs - it all varies - generally you will find a moderate avoidance of wheat and processed foods with the majority of those resources.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    here we go....:huh:
  • Barneystinson
    Options
    here we go....:huh:

Well, I always post this stuff with a disclaimer you know. If someone is of genuine interest to the subject, why not post resources?

I don't simply limit myself to ONLY reading about "caveman" nutrition. No. I also like reading many of the other popular approaches on this site as well as other popular health books - even those regarding vegan nutrition, or books by Dr. Oz, what have you. I, like others, like to test different theories and see what works. If anything ever became an endangerment to my health I would not continue it, nor recommend it.

So if anyone would like to turn this thread into another storm of you know what, go ahead. Pick my brain. I invite it.
  • Chelsinicole63
    Chelsinicole63 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    My body hates wheat, so Paleo / Primal, low carb-ish, what have you works well with me. I take a mostly primal, low carb approach - higher fat, moderate protein, moderate to low carbohydrate. Little to no grains, with a focus on whole foods. I've found when I up my fat intake I tend to have an easier go of losing weight - however, this doesn't work for everyone and not everyone agrees. Anyways...

There are a lot of theories regarding paleolithic nutrition, so it's not necessarily a one size fits all approach. I'd say the best resources to check are:

Lyle McDonald (to an extent...at least his work with Ketogenic diets makes sense in this regard)

You'll find some who advocate higher fat, some who don't, some who advocate more carbs - it all varies - generally you will find a moderate avoidance of wheat and processed foods with the majority of those resources.

I find your posts extremely helpful, so thank you :smile:
  • Michellerw1
    Michellerw1 Posts: 367
    Options

I don't simply limit myself to ONLY reading about "caveman" nutrition. No. I also like reading many of the other popular approaches on this site as well as other popular health books - even those regarding vegan nutrition, or books by Dr. Oz, what have you. I, like others, like to test different theories and see what works.

I do not personally have a restrictive diet (except that I limit processed and prepackaged foods) but I love trying recipes from different diets. Right now I am eating vegan curry tofu and vegetables that I made last night. Yum. I find mixing it up and giving myself more options makes me more successful in sticking to a diet. Thanks for the info!!
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options

I am a Primal Blue Printer myself and I am the same. Higher fat, moderate protein and low carbs is what works for me too.
  • July24Lioness
    Options
    I posted a recipe from the Primal Blue Print website earlier. Going to have it for lunch a couple of times this week.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/97911-found-this-on-the-primal-blue-print-website
  • sheyna1983
    sheyna1983 Posts: 137
    Options
    Anyone tried this? I was surfing the internet and found this diet interesting and I'm gonna maybe give it a try, along with a new workout routine.... anyone done it before or heard of it?

So did you end up giving it a try? How did it go for you? I am on day 2 and feel a little light headed but definitely not starving - I think it's more of the caffeine withdrawal. I hope I can stick to it. I think this diet looks a little better for me than most low carb diets as it incorporates more choices of fruit and vegetables. I tried atkins before and felt like death the entire time. It works but it's not worth that amount of suffering.
  • July24Lioness
    Options

Yes, I do the Primal Blue Print by Mark Sisson specifiically. I have most of the resources that BarneyStinson listed and they are fabulous reads and you will learn a lot about the way we should really eat and the science behind what works best to have a healthy body!!!

I am another that has wheat and other food intolerances so Primal (aka Paleo) works great for me!!!
  • rose1617
    rose1617 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    My mom did paleo for a while.
    It's interesting. I couldn't do it. I like pasta (even if it's whole wheat) and bread (whole grain) and cheese/other dairy.
    The idea is to eat only what the cavemen would have eaten. If it's been processed, don't eat it.
    Unfortunately in our society that is extremely difficult to do as almost everything's been processed in some way.
    You can of course still do the diet with as little substitution as possible.
    It definitely worked for my mom, but be careful with adding items back in once you're through with the diet... you will gain some weight back.
  • sheyna1983
    sheyna1983 Posts: 137
    Options
    It's interesting. I couldn't do it. I like pasta (even if it's whole wheat) and bread (whole grain) and cheese/other dairy.
    The idea is to eat only what the cavemen would have eaten. If it's been processed, don't eat it.
    Unfortunately in our society that is extremely difficult to do as almost everything's been processed in some way.
    It definitely worked for my mom, but be careful with adding items back in once you're through with the diet... you will gain some weight back.

I agree......I work in a pharmacy which unfortunately...is directly in front of the junk food aisle.......I have been on this diet for 72 hours and those doritos are looking better and better. And I don't even like doritos. .... man, I wish Cavemen had doritos....
  • July24Lioness
    Options

Well since Paleo isn't a "diet", but a way of life, it is not intended to go off.

I don't get the whole "diet" mentality. When you embark on a different way of eating, that is they way you should eat from that moment going forward.

For Paleo or other low carb plans, of course you will gain the weight back if you don't make the lifestyle change. Guess what???? The same goes for low calorie or low fat too.

I will take low carbing and Paleo eating over low fat, calorie counting any day. There is way more flavor, being full and satisfied with what I am eating.

Bread, pasta, crackers all taste like cardboard and yuck to me now. I honestly don't know what the appeal is towards grain products now that I have given them up, except for maybe addiction.
  • Barneystinson
    Options
    It's certainly a choice and way of life. Are there times when I'd like to have some bread? Yes, but they're definitely more rare these days. Will I eat bread while I'm in France later this year? You bet your sweet @$$ I will. But I won't go overboard by any means because I've lost the desire to binge on carbohydrates. Pasta seriously does taste like cardboard to me. I had some a few weeks ago when I was in Canada (Barney here had no choice - it was a customer meeting) and it really did not appeal to me. Luckily they also had salad, so I loaded up on that and ate a small amount of pasta. I also have seemingly lost my taste for pizza, too, which for someone living a stone's throw from NYC - this may be certifiably insane.

And believe me, this is sometimes insane to me because I used to be a huuuuge carbo-head.

There's some that follow the primal/paleo way extremely hardcore and don't eat any grains. Some of us do have them on rare occasion. I think of them as a "use sparingly" food group. I choose to get carbohydrates from fruits, vegetables, and tubers. Sometimes I will have quinoa or wild rice as a side (if available) in restaurants. I don't really adhere to a mentality that things are big no-no's or completely off limits. I've gotten to the point where I know what foods work for me and what foods do not. I know where I fall on the "carb curve" and stick close to it. It's been working, I feel good, and I have learned to plan indulgences (i.e. half a tumbler of whiskey on ice or something, LOL).

The biggest driving factor is that I'm getting loads of energy, no brain fog, and I'm not chomping at the bit to eat every 2 hours. I can actually fast for 24 hours and not feel like I'm going to turn into the Hulk and rip open the vending machine LA riot style.
  • July24Lioness
    Options
    It's certainly a choice and way of life. Are there times when I'd like to have some bread? Yes, but they're definitely more rare these days. Will I eat bread while I'm in France later this year? You bet your sweet @$$ I will. But I won't go overboard by any means because I've lost the desire to binge on carbohydrates. Pasta seriously does taste like cardboard to me. I had some a few weeks ago when I was in Canada (Barney here had no choice - it was a customer meeting) and it really did not appeal to me. Luckily they also had salad, so I loaded up on that and ate a small amount of pasta. I also have seemingly lost my taste for pizza, too, which for someone living a stone's throw from NYC - this may be certifiably insane.

And believe me, this is sometimes insane to me because I used to be a huuuuge carbo-head.

There's some that follow the primal/paleo way extremely hardcore and don't eat any grains. Some of us do have them on rare occasion. I think of them as a "use sparingly" food group. I choose to get carbohydrates from fruits, vegetables, and tubers. Sometimes I will have quinoa or wild rice as a side (if available) in restaurants. I don't really adhere to a mentality that things are big no-no's or completely off limits. I've gotten to the point where I know what foods work for me and what foods do not. I know where I fall on the "carb curve" and stick close to it. It's been working, I feel good, and I have learned to plan indulgences (i.e. half a tumbler of whiskey on ice or something, LOL).

The biggest driving factor is that I'm getting loads of energy, no brain fog, and I'm not chomping at the bit to eat every 2 hours. I can actually fast for 24 hours and not feel like I'm going to turn into the Hulk and rip open the vending machine LA riot style.

Ha ha. I love the way you word stuff.
  • absie107
    absie107 Posts: 290
    Options
    here's the thing... don't diet. you either change your lifestyle or you don't. sure our bodies are hardwired as our paleolithic ancestors to just gain weight and be fat, but no matter what you're doing to make yourself healthier, don't do anything unrealistic and do something that is long term. just be sensible... it's amazing that people have to write diet books. nearly every long term and somewhat credible study has shown that a diet higher in fresh (seasonal!!!!!) fruits and veggies, not a ton of meat, and whole grains and treats in moderation will help you become healthier. it's just common sense that our bodies choose to ignore in a world teaming with fat, sugar and salt as well as people who market this stuff so much that it's disgusting.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    Because of certain medical issues, I too am following Paleo. Not to a perfect tee, I will occasionally have grain (had a multigrain wrap the other day and blew up like a balloon). As others have mentioned, you get to a point where eating pasta just doesn't appeal to you anymore - I too would rather eat a bowl of broccoli or spinach than a bowl of pasta.
  • rose1617
    rose1617 Posts: 469 Member
    Options

Well since Paleo isn't a "diet", but a way of life, it is not intended to go off.

I don't get the whole "diet" mentality. When you embark on a different way of eating, that is they way you should eat from that moment going forward.

For Paleo or other low carb plans, of course you will gain the weight back if you don't make the lifestyle change. Guess what???? The same goes for low calorie or low fat too.

I will take low carbing and Paleo eating over low fat, calorie counting any day. There is way more flavor, being full and satisfied with what I am eating.

Bread, pasta, crackers all taste like cardboard and yuck to me now. I honestly don't know what the appeal is towards grain products now that I have given them up, except for maybe addiction.
    That's what I was trying to get at. If you're using this as a diet, you'll gain the weight back once you stop the diet.
    If you want to do this at all, it needs to be a permanent change or you're setting yourself up for failure.
    My mom's 20 lbs. down and still going and she looks great.
    She's changed her eating habits for life.
    It's just not the lifestyle I choose, that's all.
    I choose low GI lifestyle and it works for me.