tummy fat and bad back

Options
How does one loose the mid section if they have a bad back? I have major problems with my neck and my back, Is there any thing besides cardio?

Replies

• 1ocean1girl
    1ocean1girl Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Pilates and yoga are both good for strengthening the areas.
  • keltee15
    keltee15 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I know ill never have a 6 pack and doing what im doing, i have lost some inches there, Anything that involves bending or straining my neck or back is not good at all for me. I work my best at cardio but then have to lay hours after.. that's the price im paying to get rid of it. Of course the pain meds help. I am very careful with my neck and back after what docs told me
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Honestly, you don't even need to do core exercises to get a smaller waist.

Just lose more weight and/or reduce your body fat percentage. You can't spot reduce the fat off your stomach. It has to go as part of all-over fat loss.
  • Denise1224
    Denise1224 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Honestly, you don't even need to do core exercises to get a smaller waist.

Just lose more weight and/or reduce your body fat percentage. You can't spot reduce the fat off your stomach. It has to go as part of all-over fat loss.

^ This which may reduce the pain you have in your back... also there are some types of yoga out there that are really good for stretching and relieving pain Good luck!!! I know how you feel I had a car accident in 2003 and this past Jan ... basically re-injured the old injuries sooo yea I have neck back and shoulder pain and my doctor hasn't cleared me to "work out" yet so I can only walk and I've been doing some stretching to relieve tension ...
  • violinkeri
    Options
    Combining cardio with strength and ab training is the only way to reduce, and you cant spot reduce.

Could you possibly do reverse crunches? Your neck and upper back remain stationary on the floor, and you just bring your legs up and lift your tailbone off the ground. Also things like planking are good for ab muscles and your back and neck wouldnt be twisting.
  • keltee15
    Options
    Could you possibly do reverse crunches? Your neck and upper back remain stationary on the floor, and you just bring your legs up and lift your tailbone off the ground. Also things like planking are good for ab muscles and your back and neck wouldnt be twisting.
    [/quote]

No i cant do that either, my bones crack very loud in my spine an pain shoots all the way up my spine, I am loosing weight and i do strength exercises with my arms, I just dont want to get skinny, I was skinny when i was younger and still had a belly, thank you
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Try using an exercise ball... rather first recommendation is to ask your doctor. If you really can't do anything, just stick to cardio. You can't spot reduce unfortunately and even the idea of spot reducing would involve you doing reverse crunches, core moves, even heavy lifting.

What about knee push ups?
  • keltee15
    Options
    same thing with knee pushes bad pain up my back. I do all my lifting standing, I am on a 25 lb weight restriction, I can do the ab lounger, would that help loose it?
  • notworthstalking
    notworthstalking Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    when you lift, really stand tall and hold you stomach muscles in. This actually works them a little bit.
  • amyllu
    amyllu Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Hi Keltee. Unfortunately you are very much in the same situation as myself and the fact is most people really don't understand what it is like having a bad and very painful back. There are always those that are very well meaning but not having had the same experience do not know the full pros and cons and I have had someone insist that I CAN do it if I really want to!
    Personally I have not been able to find anything that I can do to help my problem so as long as I make the effort to walk as much as possible when I can and to keep mobile as much as I can then that is the most beneficial in my case.

I do wish you well and keep on trying what is best for you day by day!
  • strikerjb007
    strikerjb007 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    You don't need targeted workouts for that. To lose the mid section you just need to lose weight. Mid section is the last to go though.
  • lambch0ps
    lambch0ps Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Losing fat is the only way to lose tummy fat - if its your "problem area" it will be the last to go probably. To get "abs" you have to use them. I don't know what is the source of your bad back, but I have sciatica and several herniated discs. Twice I was immobile for months and was told I needed surgery. Instead I went to a chiropractor to help relieve the pain, and then a physical therapist who worked with me and gave me exercises to strengthen my core. After that I started doing yoga, and as long as I keep that up I can do just about anything with slight modifications. The main benefit of yoga for my back is core strengthening - and I keep this with me through all other exercise and chores in general - use my abs and not my back whenever i bend and lift; focus on a solid core when I move and twist. Depends on your injury but it is worth a visit to the physical therapist.
  • FloweringPeony
    FloweringPeony Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    You may think this sounds cheesy, but a doctor once recommended to my mom (who also has a bad back) that she stand against a wall (with her back flat against the wall) and pull her belly button in as if she were going to have her belly button touch the wall through her back. It was recommended she do this as a way to strengthen her core muscles to work up to doing crunches. Even if you can't do crunches, you may try this! Good luck!
  • keltee15
    Options
    I have cervical spinal stenosis c 5 6 7, narrowing of the spinal cord. scoliosis, lumbar stenosis, disk herniation in 2, plus a lot of arthritis, a few months back had a heart attack. Bad hearts run in my family, but unfortunately i am the only one that ended up with bad neck and back. Along with Lyme disease, MS and also went through breast cancer with a lumpectomy, Oh and lets not forget kiendbocks disease, 8 surgeries on my wrist, that is now fused and i cant bend it.. Believe it or not I am still working because i am stubborn. Not looking for pity or anything. I thought if i lost some weight maybe the pain would subside, and i wouldn't have to live off pain meds,so far it hasn't, I have ppl ask me day after day why are you working? I work because, 1. I like making money, 2. If i didn't work I would probably sit around and just do nothing. 3.I need my insurance for all these dang docs i go to LOL.4. last but the best one, I have seen way to many ppl abusing and free loading off the country. I just don't feel its time to give up.

Sorry for the long post and i really do appreciate all the input that i was giving. I will try my best!
  • hazelovesfood
    hazelovesfood Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    How does one loose the mid section if they have a bad back? I have major problems with my neck and my back, Is there any thing besides cardio?

I use a abdominal resistence thing at the gym, i have clicking i my kneck and shoulders and this seems to be working for my middle section, Also eat yogurts, as its been proven that eating a yogurt a day, helps get rid of tummy fat. Im not sure what my bone issues are yet, at the mo, im on anti inflammorties to help with me knees, which grind and are very week.
    Ive also stared just walking o a high incline on he treadmill too, as a way of good cardio. still makes me sweat but my body is not pounding the ground.:smile:
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Having a strong core will help support your back. Have you spoken to your doctor or physio about what core exercises you could do?
  • Suewags
    Suewags Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    what about riding a recumbent bicycle (the ones with seats). That way your back is being supported and you're getting the cardio workout in?

or perhaps just good old-fashioned walking for a few miles
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    You lose fat from your entire body with healthy eating, make sure your daily calorie requirement is met with healthy nutritious foods. Belly fat is the last to go on lots of people. Abs are made in the kitchen. My favourite abs quote: "There is something of equal importance to understand when it comes to getting those ripped 6-pack abs. YOU ALREADY HAVE THEM! We all do, anatomically speaking. It’s just a matter of making them visible. As evidence to this, just spend a little time at your local municipal pool and you will see droves of kids walking around with perfect 6-pack abs who have never done a crunch in their life!" On that note I'd say swimming is easy on the back
  • jodimp67
    Options
    I also have the same condition as you. I am frustrated! I was a very active individual and have always had a regular exercise routine. After a car accident in June of 2013 my life drastically changed. I try walking and end up in bed for 3 days due to the inflammation and pain. I did take time off work because work took the best hours of my day and wanted to be there for my family. They say exercise helps the back but it is a catch 22. I guess you do the best you can, watch your diet and eliminate stress as much as possible. Pilates interests me, looking in to a pilates machine to help keep my back stable and keep the weight off my back as well. Hang in there :flowerforyou:
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    It'll depend on the injury or condition, of course, but with my upper back/neck problem I finally took up belly dance as a core workout without crunches, etc. I don't do the arms, as you might imagine. But the movement of the pelvis and ribcage by using the core helped me tremendously: hip locks, chest isolations, and bellyrolls are all awesome.

It also helped me learn to disconnect one part of my body from the other (relax one part and work the other), and that has probably helped more than anything else.

Also pool work. The difference with water is amazing. I could work muscles I never could work in PT on land. That was my huge saving grace early on, after trying land PT again and again with no luck. The yoga stretches were pretty crucial, too, but I couldn't do the strength upper body stuff for a long while, so I did that part in water. A heated pool is the absolute best :)