First 30 Days

Options
i64X
i64X Posts: 7 Member
Cut soda completely, cut beer completely, cut liquor almost completely, cut out HFCS whenever possible, VERY careful about my portions, eat a lot more chicken, track my calorie progress on MFP every day, aggressive cardio on my wife's elliptical ALMOST every day (all but 4 or 5 days in the past 30). Down 17 lbs - almost all of it fat I'm assuming from the pics.

I'm hesitant to lift weights at all because I'm only trying to lose weight right now. I do work with barbells but they're only 25 lbs each so I usually take one in each hand and try to do high rep stuff with them vs lifting a bunch of heavy weights. I have access to a gym but haven't gone there to start lifting heavily yet. I plan on doing that after I get down around 190.

Like most guys I carry all of my weight around my torso. My arms and legs aren't too big for the most part. Luckily, my middle is where I see all of the weight coming off. It's fun being able to wear t-shirts again and being able to sit down without being able to rest a cup on my stomach. :-) It's also fun being able to see the part of the seat belt that goes across my waist when I drive. haha

first30.jpg

I'm happy with progress in the first 30 days. Here's to 30 more!

Replies

• BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    HOLY CRAP! You lost 17 pounds in a month?!

Way to go, man, that is incredible progress. Please don't let yourself get discouraged if things slow down. Half that is a splendid rate of weight loss.

You look fantastic and the hard work is showing; good for you!
  • mrsna
    mrsna Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Outstanding progress! Congrats on your success. Stay strong!
  • Gemini_at_36
    Options
    awsome job, keep up the great work....!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • sheyennelilly
    sheyennelilly Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Wow, that is incredible progress for such a short time. Keep it up!
  • babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    way to freaking go!!! proof hard work pays off
  • CAS317
    CAS317 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    OUTSTANDING! How long are you on the elliptical each day?
  • i64X
    Options
    CAS317 - When I first started I could only do it about 3-4 minutes before I was drenched in sweat and gasping for breath. I've had a desk job for the past 12 or so years so I was hardly ever active and didn't ever exercise. Now a good workout is around 40 minutes or so with the resistance cranked up. I'm steadily and slowly increasing time as I get used to it.

emanyalpsid - It's already slowed quite a bit. I've been hovering around 203 for the past 5-6 days, sometimes gaining a little and going back down, but 203 has been my lowest in years and was my weight this morning. The progress pictures and how I feel are a lot more motivational than the number on the scale. It doesn't hurt to see that number fall though so I can't complain too much. :-)

To everyone else - thanks. :-)
  • JasonRM79
    JasonRM79 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Congratulation!!!! That is fantastic progress. Don't be afraid of the weights. A lot of the experts out there say that weight training the right way burns more calories than cardio if done the right way. Your muscles keep burning calories even after your workout when you weight train. With cardio your calorie burn for the most part stops when your done working out. Just lift with moderate weight for sets of 12 to 15 reps. Then only take at the maximum a minute break between sets. There are actually a few formulas out there that estimate calories burned from weight training. Keep up the great work!!! You should definitely be proud.
  • laurabosworth1298
    Options
    Congratulations!!!! You are doing an amazing job. Your success is very motivating.
  • i64X
    Options
    Congratulation!!!! That is fantastic progress. Don't be afraid of the weights. A lot of the experts out there say that weight training the right way burns more calories than cardio if done the right way. Your muscles keep burning calories even after your workout when you weight train. With cardio your calorie burn for the most part stops when your done working out. Just lift with moderate weight for sets of 12 to 15 reps. Then only take at the maximum a minute break between sets. There are actually a few formulas out there that estimate calories burned from weight training. Keep up the great work!!! You should definitely be proud.

I've heard that from a few people now. I think I'm going to start experimenting with it a little. Not really HEAVY lifting and killing myself every day, but maybe 2-3 times a week just hitting the gym for some weight sessions. Luckily it's a private gym that's really close to my house (3 minute drive), so nobody's ever really there. Thanks for the advice. Cheers!
  • happymomma26
    Options
    You're doing awesome, you should be proud!
  • marykpfist
    marykpfist Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Really fantastic success! Amazing photos!
  • PlainOldElizaJane
    Options
    That's amazing :) Great job! But don't be afraid to do some weight training. My husband started off just about like you and did nothing but cardio for the first few months of his journey.. He ran a LOT.. And he ended up losing a lot of muscle. So don't be afraid to venture out into the weight training world. You may not lose the "weight" as fast, but you will sure tone up nicely :)
  • pob613
    Options
    Well, I need help getting through the first two weeks. I am super motivated for the first week then boom I can't even drag myself to the gym if I wanted too and its not that I am sore or anything, seems like the motivation just vanishes. Need help any suggestions!
    But congrats on the first 30 days.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!