OOPS! I kind of slipped up this morning...Any advice?

Options
Hello everyone!:happy:
I'm new here and I thought I'd open this topic because messing up every once and a while is just something that happens during weight loss. This morning I ate 622 calories worth of complete rubbish! :frown: (my 622 calorie breakfast consisted mostly of ben&jerry's, sooo delicious!) I was just wondering what I can do to still make this a good day? Usually I would end up eating junk for the rest of the day.. I would just think 'I've blown it now, lets just eat what I like' but I think I know better than that today.
Have any of you ever done this? What has been your biggest slip up during your weight loss?

I hope you're all having a good day!:blushing:

Replies

• 2essie
    2essie Posts: 2,864 Member
    Options
    Why not do some exercise and burn off those calories then you can just eat normally the rest of the day.

Whatever you do don't worry too much about it. Tomorrow is another day.

Have a great day
  • FitBlackChick
    FitBlackChick Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I just slipped up too, I binged on chocolate and brownies :( Instead of starving myself too much throughout the rest of the day, I would just have a few low calorie days after this slip up. Sometimes I get really down when I mess up but I'm learning not to let it get to me too much. Just get on with your day and try and do better with the rest of your meals :) You can make up for today little by little over the next few days by maybe eliminating certain snacks or downsizing your portions a little. But most of all keep going! We all have these kinds of set backs :)
  • MySlimGoals
    MySlimGoals Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Just eat normal and exercise like normal. If you start starving yourself to make up for it for a few hours you'll only stress your body. Just forget it happened, and go back to your normal healthy plan.
  • kae_blah
    kae_blah Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    On thing I remind myself if I ma heading over the calorie goal is that the goal is for 2 lb weight loss/week. Usually my blow out still leaves me well below maintenance calories so the slip up won't make me gain weight - just slow my progress a little.
  • dragonfly_em
    dragonfly_em Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    forget it and move on. you can't undo it and if you agonize over it you'll get caught in the cycle of under then overeating. it happens. enjoy the B&J's. just be sensible and stick to your plan the rest of the week...don't try and make up for it unless it just happens naturally like you really feel like going for a nice long walk or doing a killer session at the gym. go with the flow.
  • Skrib69
    Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Forget it and move on. There is no point in beating yourself up on it. For the future, plan your breakfast the previous evening so you have something to look forward to that is decided when you are thinking straight rather than when you are tempted by other things and falling off your plan. You have the choice of what you eat and this journey is all about making the right choices
  • enndeeee
    Options
    i laugh when people ask this kind of thing (no offence)

you could eat ice cream for 5 meals to make you daily IIFYM requirements.

just eat to your daily goal with healthier foods if youre that concerned.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Ice cream is not complete rubbish, it's delicious. Okay it's not the best breakfast choice in the world, but it's not going to harm you once in a while, even for breakfast.

Just plan the rest of your day so you stay within your calories and macros. Foods that are high in calorie density, like salad vegetables, and very lean proteins like tuna and chicken breast, will help you to make filling meals for fewer calories to help you stay under your calorie goal at the end of the day and still get a decent amount of nutrition in.

If you're constantly fighting against the urge to overeat, it could be a sign that you're eating too few calories. But if it's a one off, then don't worry about it.
  • North44
    North44 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I slipped up last night. It was the end of the day so no chance to make up for it. Oh well, today's a new day!

Yes, just eat well the rest of the day- get in some good nutrition! Your body will thank you. Have a great day!
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Messing up in the morning is an easier fix than messing up at night - you have the whole day ahead to remedy the situation by finding ways to burn off the calories. Exercise is your friend.
  • PennStateChick
    PennStateChick Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Like you, I used to just give up and say that I already ruined it. However, one day, a friend of mine reminded me that just because you tripped down a couple steps in a staircase doesn't mean that you should just give up and throw yourself down the remaining stairs! Another similar one is, just because you drop your cell phone on the ground doesn't mean that you should smash it until it doesn't work at all.

Basically what those are all saying is forgive yourself, move on, and eat normal.
  • dmcw19
    dmcw19 Posts: 129
    Options
    Hi,
    I saw this idea somewhere and think about it when I have a mess up.

If you were in a minor car accident, would you drive around the rest of the day ignoring all traffic rules?

If you spilled some red wine on your white shirt, would you then proceed to dump the entire bottle all over yourself?

I think sometimes we treat mistakes in our diet different than other mistakes. I also think it is better that you have the whole day to figure out what will make you feel better. Its the weekend too, so maybe find something fun with a friend or family member.
    Remember for some people, ice cream keeps them sane. If my husband did not have his, he gets cranky!
    Enjoy the day.
  • laport63
    Options
    g ood morning ! slipped up dont worry just pick yourself up , dust off and go again do more excercising to burn off the slip up ok weekend are hard for me with my family home we tend to eat pizzas and junk through the week im alone and i just seem to do better?all in all enjoy your weekend laport63 have a great day
  • GoddessG
    GoddessG Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I had a 743 calorie breakfast. (3g carbs, 43.2g protein, 60.7g fat). The number doesn't scare me.

If you like ice cream for breakfast, consider switching to the keto diet, where if you make your own sugarless ice cream from heavy whipping cream and delicious no-carb protein powders, it's a legitimate meal and a good way to start your day - and after a few days on the keto diet, you won't be worrying about being hungry too soon. I probably won't be hungry again until 3-4PM.

I believe in making my diet work for me, not me for it
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    I had a 1200 calorie breakfast last week--you don't have to keep making the same mistake all day, you know. Exercise a little bit more today and make sure the rest of your food is healthy and you'll be fine.
  • babydoll789
    Options
    Thanks everyone, great advice x
  • Etienne54
    Etienne54 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Just think of it as your cheat meal for the week, keep the rest of the week on track. Nothing to worry about.
  • babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Work out too much of a simple idea?
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Don't starve yourself - it is better to eat like you regularly would the rest of the day and just be a few calories over than to starve yourself/binge and go over by a ton.

Slipups happen - and I bet it was delicious :)
  • twoss9112
    twoss9112 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    First of all, let me just say I would never criticize anyone for eating ice cream for breakfast, or eating 600 calories worth of "junk" or whatever, so don't take it that way... BUT - I find it hilarious when people eat something "bad" and then call it a slip up.

It's not a slip up. Own up and call it what it is, a choice. We do it on purpose because we want it and choose to eat it. Unless you fell face first into the ice cream tub and your jaw accidentally started chewing up all the ice cream completely without your brain's permission, it's not slip up.

You ate the ice cream. it's not a big deal. Either go for a run or eat light for the remainder of the day. But don't make it sound like an accident.

On Saturday I accidentally drank 2 Bud light Lime a Rita. The wind was blowing hard and next thing I knew, all that super high calorie booze was all up in my mouth hole and it forced itself down my esophagus! :noway: :grumble: :laugh: :laugh: