I'm a Champion Binge Eater - Help Me!

Options
I feel like I've taken binging to a new level - yesterday, I netted 3865 calories! To put that into perspective, I'm 5'5", weigh under 135lbs and spend 15-20 hours a week at the gym, as well as do other exercise.

I know I'm not the only one, and could really use some ideas on how to stop my binge eating alter ego IN ITS TRACKS when that monster takes over. (I'm usually able to recover, but not until the next day, and I don't purge so it's not a medical issue.)

When it's happening, I really do feel like I've lost my mind!!!!!

Replies

• GoddessG
    GoddessG Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Look into the low-carb diet (carefully adjusted to meet your body's requirements at your fitness level).

Eating the right foods will stop the binges. No hunger to start them with.
  • Rockstar_JILL
    Rockstar_JILL Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    My binges used to consist of eating the whole package of chocolate, instead just a few pieces. The more I ate, the more I wanted. I finally weaned myself off it by eating fruit in it's place. Sometimes I don't even eat fruit and I am still okay. But when I want that sugar fix, I reach for raspberries or strawberries. They give me that fix I need.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    It's hard to offer an opinion as your diary is closed. You're exercising many hours as well as feeling out of control in the kitchen. Maybe a few sessions with a dietician or therapist could help put things in good perspective for you?
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Dagnammit! I came here thinking you needed help with the eating and was glad to help!

You know, 3865 cals does sound like a lot for some people but I could do that without any effort (I'm on 2,000 cals a day, so it's not a lot of bad stuff extra), but I'm going to stick my neck out here and say maybe your body is craving sustenance - from your profile it looks like you do a lot of exercise, unfortunately I can't see your diary so I don't know what your average daily intake is.

I guess only you know WHY you binge: cravings for things you don't usually 'allow', happiness, sadness, sheer enjoyment, cold, tired, or just plain hungry - the reasons are endless. What do you eat when you do binge? I had what I'd class as a binge eating clementines a couple of weeks ago, ate 7 on the trot one after the other, couldn't stop myself. Now, it was healthy food, so does that count as a binge, or does the fact that I lost control make it a binge. I don't know.

Open your diary for a wee while and we might be able to offer some helpful advice :flowerforyou:
  • 5ftnFun
    5ftnFun Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    I agree with MrsSWW on this one. I don't know if this is a physical or mental thing for you. Looking at your pic & based on your posted ht/wt, you don't appear to be overweight. Are you trying to lose weight? If so, are you eating enough? Or were you upset about something? People binge for different reasons. You have to know why you binge before you can stop it.
  • LoggingForLife
    LoggingForLife Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Me too. I've found that two things help. First, I ususally have some baggage to deal with and when I do so I feel much better. Secondly, I have to break the cycle by doing a week or two of low carb. Last week I consumed massive amounts of M&M's. This week I'm back on track.
  • kenduerden
    Options
    I am pretty sure this is why you do this.

1. You are eating large amounts of carbs and sugar.
    2. Your blood sugar level goes through the roof.
    3. You have a momentary high
    4. You crash.
    5. Your body demands more carbs and sugar.

I would start by learning how your body works. Then giving it what it actually needs. I am certain this undesirable behaviour would stop and you will feel a million dollars.

I recomend 'The Harcombe Diet for Men' book. Its cured me. Don't worry that its for men as actually all the author has done is pair it to the bone and just tells you what you need to know.

If you want the full deal on how the body uses the food you eat read 'Why we get fat and what to do about it' by Gary Taubes. Its quiet shocking when you know.

Success :)
  • AJinBirmingham
    Options
    Thanks guys - I've opened my diary, however embarrassing . . . No one should ever eat the things I did yesterday. :(

Carbs are definitely a problem for me. I've been dieting since I was 8 years old and grew up on "low fat, no fat" habits, which are high carb habits and HARD to break. I LOVE CARBS. I crave them. I look forward to them. I can take or leave most other foods.

I'll keep trying, and I appreciate the support. Any ideas on high protein foods that might fool me into thinking they taste like carbs?
  • 9jenn9
    9jenn9 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I'm going to recommend the book called Intuitive Eating. It addresses all kinds of food issues, including binges. It really got me to recognize my eating patterns/exercise patterns (You spend a lot of time at the gym. Are you exercising for something other than fitness? Is it so that you can eat more or maybe punish yourself for overeating?) Anyway - it'll get you thinking. You're not alone. Much luck.
  • AJinBirmingham
    Options
    I'm going to recommend the book called Intuitive Eating. It addresses all kinds of food issues, including binges. It really got me to recognize my eating patterns/exercise patterns (You spend a lot of time at the gym. Are you exercising for something other than fitness? Is it so that you can eat more or maybe punish yourself for overeating?) Anyway - it'll get you thinking. You're not alone. Much luck.

Yes - I do exercise for reasons other than fitness. I also do it for stress relief (I get a high after the first 20-30 minutes of cardio,) for strength (heavy weight lifting,) and of course to compensate for my carb abuse.

I also eat for reasons other than hunger, especially if I'm tired or mildly stressed. (If I'm super stressed, I won't eat at all - but that's rare.)

I'm healthy and not medically overweight, but I really would like to get a handle on my carb addiction - whatever the reasons behind it. Then maybe I'll scale back the exercise addiction too - as far as addictions go, exercise is one I can live with, but I would like more time for other things.
  • amandammmq
    amandammmq Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    First off, good for you for going ahead and logging everything that you ate, and looking into the problem!

When I have been successful at avoiding the donuts, ice cream, cookies and so on is when I do not have them in the house at all. When they're in the house, all bets are off.

I'd try the following:

1. make sure the "junk" isn't available to eat.
    2. reevaluate your daily calorie intake and make sure you're getting enough to eat on days when you exercise a lot.
    3. consider experimenting by cutting out common allergens for a few weeks and seeing if you feel any better. (wheat, dairy, soy, corn, peanuts, gluten, as well as sugar and processed foods) When I did this, I found that my energy levels felt very even, with no highs and crashes, and I didn't have any cravings at all. If anything, I sometimes craved an orange after dinner.

I hope you find the solution that works for you!
  • bpn80
    bpn80 Posts: 43
    Options
    It sounds like you exercise quite a bit, so I assume you truly are hungry. Are you eating the right amount of complex carbs and fiber? I had a similar issue-ate and ate and ate. didn't really gain any weight, but ate ALL DAY LONG and couldn't stop myself. I saw a nutritionist who saw that I wasn't eating enough of the right things to help by body recover from the amount of exercise i was doing.