Fitbit... Do you have one?

Options
I keep reading on the boards, people talking about a fitbit. I finally googled it and have just learned what it is. Do YOU have one? Is it a "must have"? Do you find it helpful?

Replies

• emboss03
    emboss03 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I like mine. Kinda keeps me in check with my daily activity. Don't rely on it for calories burned or to get more calories to eat. Sometimes doesn't sync well with mfp.
  • 6ee8ee
    6ee8ee Posts: 25
    Options
    is there any significant difference between it, and a regular pedometer?
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    If you use this search function you will find lots of information/opinions. It's generally well thought of. Look at the Bodymediafit too. It's more accurate.
  • nurse_ratty
    nurse_ratty Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    mine just arrived in post today - any tips or advice most welcome!
  • powlist
    powlist Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have the Fitbit Zip, I like it. I really like how it tracks my steps and setting goals. It really showed me how sedentary I was/am. It is a great motivational tool for me. I looked at the Bodymediafit, but didnt' want to pay a subscription fee.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    I have the Fitbit Zip, I like it. I really like how it tracks my steps and setting goals. It really showed me how sedentary I was/am. It is a great motivational tool for me. I looked at the Bodymediafit, but didnt' want to pay a subscription fee.
    The subscription fee is not expensive.
  • emboss03
    emboss03 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    The only difference that I like about the Fitbit compared to a regular pedometer is that the Fitbit automatically connects to MFP and calculates any additional calories for exercise or adds calories if you aren't as active. You can set it up so it doesn't do that, but I like to do it just to keep my activity in check. I don't watch calories as much as I watch carbs just because of my diabetes, but I like to see my calories, just because it keeps track of my activity level. Calories equals energy, so the more energy I'm using the better. There isn't a function to add steps on MFP (wish there was...) so this is the easiest. I find it really keeps me in check. Hope this helps!!
  • MrsR0SE
    MrsR0SE Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    The most useful thing I've found is that it (fitbit ultra) helps me to assess my activity level accurately for each individual day, rather than rely on the general estimates from mfp. Particularly useful at the weekends when I'm generally less active or active in a different way, i.e. playing with my children rather than doing a specific measurable 'exercise'. I bought mine on sale though, I wouldn't have thought it was worth it for the full price.
  • alienrite
    alienrite Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I've lived with my fitbit since July and enjoy it. It gives me useful feed back on my daily activity and mostly updates to MFP or rectory but sometimes they tweak the software and it gets wacky. Oddly, having to see if its working right is part of the fun. It is not a serious training device but it is a gadget I enjoy and use daily.
  • jbs2travel
    jbs2travel Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I have the Striiv app on my phone - counts steps & stairs and syncs with MFP & it's free. Works fairly well
  • clhardy5
    clhardy5 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I love my Fitbit. I've had it since November, and started using its numbers to track activity level and was surprised at how much I was 'lying' to myself about how active I was (wasn't). I've lost 10 pounds since using it religiously and tracking my calories on its site.
  • CaLaurie
    CaLaurie Posts: 178
    Options
    I've got the Zip - I know my sleep is lousy, so didn't want to pay the extra for the One just to have a gadget remind me! I love it. I'm in maintanence and it helps me track what I'm actually doing on any given day so I don't over or under eat. The best part, though, is the motivation - seems silly, but I'm determined to get those 10,000 steps in every day!
  • DatEpicChick
    DatEpicChick Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    i absolutely LOVE mine. Both my sister in laws, my mother in law, AND my workout buddy have gotten one in the last 2 weeks because of my results by using it.

it gives me DAILY goals such as
    10,000 steps a day
    2500 calories burned
    5.00 miles
    10 flights of stairs
    and an active score that you want to be at 1,000

i LOVE the daily goals, because DAILY i will KNOW that i am doing this right and there WILL be results.

also, it syncs with mfp, and keeps track of your calories in vs. calories out MUCH more closely. you can chose easy (500 calorie deficit), hard (750 calorie deficit) or HARDER (which is what i have) which is 1,000 calorie deficit a day.
    this makes you basically HAVE to work out to make your goals each day, it takes time to figure out the website, it is not super straight forward, i have had my fitbit over a year and still struggle a little bit sometimes trying to find things, but i REALLY love it. best investment i have made for myself, i have lost 30.6 pounds and am 15 pounds away from my goal. <3
  • houlenberg
    houlenberg Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I have the Fitbit One and I LOVE it! It motivates me so much!
  • JudyAngelman
    JudyAngelman Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I have had mine since Christmas, a Fitbit One, and I love that it motivates me to move. I like that I can meet my daily and weekly goals. I do track my sleep also in fact my biggest problem is taking it off to charge it back up.
  • AnotherTryLiz
    AnotherTryLiz Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I got a Fitbit Zip 4 days ago. I thought I was walking alot more than I actually was so now it makes me "think" about getting up and exercising. Haven't figured out how to sync it to MFP but I find I don't really need it. At the end of the day I take the # of steps and divide that by 20. That tells me how many calories I have burned by walking. I am over weight and out of shape. Getting to 10,000 steps a day seems impossible but each day I am getting closer.

If nothing else it is helping me MOVE more!
  • mrsappleblossom77
    mrsappleblossom77 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    With all the free resources available, I wouldn't necessarily say it's a "must have"; however, I LOVE my fitbit one. Seeing the pie chart on their website showing me how active I am is a huge motivator! I use a treadmill desk while I work 8-10 hours and it still shows that I am 45-50% sedentary because when I'm not working I'm sitting on the couch trolling the internet. Seeing such a high sedentary rate makes me realize hey, maybe that's why I'm not losing any weight! So I get off my butt and start moving. I've lost almost 4lbs since incorporating the fitbit into my fitness goals. Maybe I'm just competitive and I want to beat my records? :laugh:
  • GadgetGuy2
    GadgetGuy2 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I've been using it for 1.25 years. VERY HIGHLY recommend it for those who can handle some technical usage topics (search this site for how to use it with MFP, not just the linking of the two sites).

I've put my whole family and my Mom and sister on FitBits. Dieting is a chore, and results are slow to happen. The FitBit motivates you to move, so you can get a higher score (my family competes with each other). The higher your score, the more calories you burn, and the healthier you get.

If you are already into serious exercise, the FitBit wouldn't add much for you........but if you only exercise lightly, then the FitBit can get you to move it.......I also was surprised how sedentary I was after seeing the charts created from the FitBit data.

Definitely recommend it!