Lupus patient that is trying to get healthy support needed

Options
Hi guys,

My name is Kelly i'm 25 and have Lupus. I am normally not an online person but obviously that has not been working out so I decided to try this route.

A support system is needed for any new change you decide to do in life and I really need some people to back me on getting healthy. If there is anyone with Lupus on this board and you want to friend me that would be cool so I can ask questions about your journey but I would like support from anyone on this site.

This whole thing is new to me. I am nervous and excited at the same time and I hope to meet some great people here.

Replies

• RAINBOWBRITE2016
    RAINBOWBRITE2016 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hi Kelly - I too am Kelly and have lupus. I am 37 years old and have SLE. Fortunately for me it is a very mild case and I've only had to deal with minor issues. I would love to talk and have each other help on our goal for better health!
  • glittersamsara
    glittersamsara Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm 24 and have SLE/RA. I just got out of a couple of nasty postpartum/infection flares; otherwise, I was pretty functional - let's see what we can do with a healthy first-time mum body :)

You can do this! xx
  • amyoliver85
    amyoliver85 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Hi Kelly.

My name is Amy and I have SLE/RA/Sjogren's.

I started getting tired at 19 when I weighed about 154 pounds. I began gaining weight to the point of 230 at 20.

I was not diagnosed with SLE/RA/Sjogren's until I was 25 (almost 26) and I was diagnosed by a homeopath (not by a doctor...doctor's kept telling me that there was nothing wrong with me!) and he forced my physician to do a blood test, which confirmed my reality.

There are good days and there are bad days. I am allergic to prednisone...soooo, yeah, that sucks. I'm also allergic to a lot of other medications, I treat myself almost entirely homeopathically. I've found that going the homeopathic route not only clears up the rashes (I had horrific ones on my legs, btw, for FIVE YEARS until I met my homeopath) but also helps me to manage all of the other symptoms as well without killing my liver with pharmaceuticals. Once I cleaned out my liver and kidneys my gallbladder tore and I had to have that removed, which kind of sucked and caused me to gain some weight back that I had lost.

Right now, I'm 27 and weigh 160. Working to get healthy. Still have good days and bad days.In December I had an episode that put me in the hospital and stunted my healthy lifestyle. They thought I had cerebritis. Last year in December I got super flu (2011) and nearly died.

There are lot of things that you can do as a Lupus patient that doctors think you can't do. That you think you can't do. Take me for example:

1- In the warm months, I ride a bicycle about 20 miles per day on weekends.
    2- I exercise nearly every day of the week.
    3- I get 7-9 hours of sleep a night and a lot of times actually feel rested.
    4- I work WITH MY HANDS every day of the week from sun up to sun down.
    5- I lift weights.
    6- I dance.
    7- I do fitness boot camp.
    8- I eat things I actually want to eat without getting sick all the time.
    9- My fave actually is hula hooping...I love love love to Hula Hoop!!! Low impact, high burn.
    10- Yoga...is....awesome.

Anyway...I have not completely figured things out, obviously, but I would be happy to talk to you any time and help you get started on your journey.

Feel free to friend me!
  • amanda12404
    amanda12404 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I am also diagnosed with SLE. Pleurisy was my main problem but now it is my joints. Sometimes by the end of the day my husband has to help me get to bed or I have to crawl. I took prednisone for a pretty long time and got my weight up so high. This time I just have to do it taking the medicine. I would love to talk to others that have lupus.
  • deannegirl
    Options
    I have SLE as well, diagnosed a year and a half ago but have been suffering for about 16 years. I am a 31 year old female and I too struggle with debilitating fatigue, joint pain, muscle weakness and pain, and nearly unbearable stiffness/swelling. As crazy as it sounds, I've finally gotten over my fears about exercise and have found that if I take a consistent dose of NSAIDS throughout the day and just push through the pain in my workouts, I end up feeling like I have the "lupus flu" the day of the workout, but MUCH better the next day.

My current workout program is to workout at LEAST 15 minutes EVERY DAY. I do 4 days of strength training with either just my body weight or with weights from 2-8lbs, and then I do 3 days of cardio on my treadmill where I walk at a pace of 3 - 3.5mph on an 8-12% incline. I can't run because it will hurt my knees but I found that I can walk uphill at a brisk pace and still get my heartrate up and get sweaty. :) So far, although it hurts while working out in my joints and muscles, and although scary enough, I get the full on "lupus flu" in the hours after my workout, miraculously, the next day I always feel MUCH better!

Stick with it, don't be afraid and I bet that any amount of movement and exercise you can add to your week will benefit you in the long run even if it doesn't feel like it in the short term! Good luck!
  • xkarlax
    xkarlax Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hey im a lupus sle sufferer and have been recently diagnosed with it, i had been undergoing tests whilst carrying my 2nd child.. He is now 8 weeks old and have now been told i have the disease.
    I dont really know much about the lupus other then my symptoms included a horrible rash on my face for the last 4 years that appears redder some days, achey joints in my fingers, hands, kness and feet, and anemia.
    Am using mfp to curb my eating habbits as they have gotten way out of hand after the birth of my son :/ oooppppssss..
    feel free to add me guys xx
  • chrissiij
    chrissiij Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I was diagnosed with SLE last wednesday. I have been trying to find out was is wrong with me for the past 14 years and I saw a rheumy last week, who put everything together as nothing was showing in my blood stream - just IgG and C3 in the skin and a host of joint issues, fast heart rate and skin rashes, plus general fatigue. I am feeling somewhat "meh" today and I am going to try and eat healthily but it is not always possible when a whole host of treats are thrown at me on a daily basis. it's very hard to resist free chocolate brownies!

BUT I SHALL TRY!!!
  • TLCEsq
    TLCEsq Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I have Lupus as well although sometimes my Rheumatologist refers to it as undifferentiated connective tissue disease. I recently had a baby on 2/12 and have been in a horrible flare ever since. I haven't ever flared this bad - every day it seems like something else hurts and I'm having a lot of joint pain, fatigue and a low-grade fever. I am on a low dose of methylprednisolone and started Enbrel yesterday for the joint issues but I have also developed cutaneous vasculitis which I've never had before. The past couple days I've barely been able to walk and my mom has been helping me with the baby almost every day (I'm a lawyer currently working from home). I've also become very depressed this week because I feel like I can't take care of my own child. In addition to my rockstar husband, focusing on my health is the only thing that's keeping me going right now because I'm doing something for myself. My parents are leaving Sunday for a month-long vacation and I'm dreading not having my mom here, even though I'll have other help.
  • veldaaustin
    veldaaustin Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am new to the Fitness Pal App I also have SLE. I have been reading all the wonderful things that others with the same problem have posted. I am very encouraged by all the support i have seen so far. I am looking forward to losing weight and helping others.
  • sherieka2015
    sherieka2015 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi I too have lupus im 34