-10 lbs, but no change in measurements....?

Options
I take just about every measurement and non of them have changed at all since I started losing weight, I am down 10 lbs after my first month. Where is the weight coming off of????

Replies

• AlyyBii
    Options
    Strange. I wouldn't really be able to tell you. Maybe try to watch your sodium intake? Too much sodium causes bloating for most. You know, just holding on to water and such.
    Other than that, not a clue. Sorry!
  • MissyMinus
    Options
    I don't change much in measurements when I lose weight. And if I do, I always wonder if I didn't hold the tape skew or something. I blame bone structure. I don't understand it either. Good luck!
  • taniabuick
    taniabuick Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have lost 10 kg since last October and my measurments are the same, drives me crazy.Even bought a new set of scales just to make sure I had lost that amount.Must be fluid.
  • GoddessG
    GoddessG Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Well, catch this.

At about 20 pound, the inches started increasing as the weight continued decreasing. I looked in the mirror and could SEE visual results. How could I have gained an inch in all areas? It confused both me and the doctor when I told her about it.

Here is what I finally concluded. My fat was settling. Measurements were not a fair indicator.

I have a pair of jeans with a belt. when I began, I couldn't latch the belt. A few days ago, I was latching in on the 5th whole. As the jeans assure me of where my waist really is (because it has a crotch), I consider it a better indicator.

Inches are down again. Those bags of fat that were interfering are slimming down.
  • terrydell
    terrydell Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have long had a theory that fat comes off in the order it was put on, meaning the oldest fat is the last to come off. For men, love handles are the first place to put on fat and the last to take it off. For women, hips or saddle bags are the sedentary location. Since most measurements are neck, waist and hips, (let's be honest, we probably care most about waist and hips) those may also be the last to change.

Secondly, early weight loss can come from cleansing the digestive track (5-10# not uncommon in digestive cleansing) with little to no change in measurements.

First, look for fat loss in places such as the cheeks & chin, rib cage, calves and back of the upper arm. These are often the last places we add weight and usually the first places I see noticeable loss. I don't usually see noticeable measurement changes until I drop my first 20 pounds. Keep in mind that 10 pounds distributed over a 5'5" body is actually a very small layer.

As a guy, my pant size can stay the same through about a 40 pound range. I just weighed in at my all-time high and I'm committed to dropping 50 pounds. I'm not going punish myself by measuring and weighing constantly, but focusing in my efforts and discipline. I'll let the loosening of clothes and the slimming of my body be rewards as opposed to obsessive goals.

I hope this helps and I welcome any opinions in my working theory. Good luck, stay disciplined and don't beat yourselves up.
  • Carmella9
    Carmella9 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Very eye opening that you say this, ive lost 12 lbs and im 5 ft 4, havnt noticed much difference in terms of jeans getting looser but in pictures all the things you noted (chin, cheeks, arms etc) all look significantly smaller!
    Defiantly believe in this theory, unfortunately its harder to measure these places!
  • KenzieMBurke
    KenzieMBurke Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    The digestive cleansing thing makes a lot of sense!!
  • OddChoices
    OddChoices Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I take just about every measurement and non of them have changed at all since I started losing weight, I am down 10 lbs after my first month. Where is the weight coming off of????

Water weight? Are you also strength training?