Logging weights as strength training or under cardio?

Options
Hi all, I noticed that if you log strength training under strength training you don't get any calories burned for that. But if you log minutes of strength training under the cardio section then you do get calories burned.
I use the weight machines at my local ymca and was wondering how you all log that? Do you use your exercise calories?

Replies

• PamHealthMission
    PamHealthMission Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Hi there....I've been logging strength training caloric burn under cardio. I want to account for every calorie that I shake off this body :)
    I wished the app would give us the option to input our own caloric burn in the strength training category.
  • Jodycnd
    Jodycnd Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I logged it under the cardio section. I have a HRM now and just use those calories. I am surprised that the HRM calories have been higher than MFP for the Cardio strength training.
  • OutsideCreativ
    OutsideCreativ Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I put it under exercise.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    I track the calories burned and eat them back even though it is not much. The other section is for tracking progress for amount of reps and weight lifted.
  • Jodycnd
    Jodycnd Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    If you know the calories you are burning during a strength training session, from a HRM, you can enter your own exercise. It will let you put a description, duration and calories burned. I think it shows up under My Exercises this way.
  • 5stringjeff
    5stringjeff Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I log my weight training under cardio.

The MFP estimate for calories burned is close, but not particularly accurate. Use the formulas at this link to estimate your calories:
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/338469-how-to-calculate-calories-burned-weight-lifting/

As far as eating back your calories is concerned: if you set your activity level to sedentary, and then exercise, then yes, eat your calories back. (This is what I do.) If you set you activity level to lightly/moderately active, be a bit more careful about eating them all back.
  • sarahlouise7
    sarahlouise7 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I logged it under the cardio section. I have a HRM now and just use those calories. I am surprised that the HRM calories have been higher than MFP for the Cardio strength training.

Dont forget your HRM will also be telling you the calories you would be burning anyway just for living, so yes, HRM are higher than MFP :) HTH
  • WonderKP
    WonderKP Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    the logging under the strength section is more as a journal to log what you do exactly...i see it as more of for your personal info - if you are working towards lifting a certain weight or what-not. log it under cardio section so you count those calories you burned! (also...weight training you usually burn more calories after your workout as well...for a few hours i think..just to keep in mind)
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    log the time you spent as cardio then enter them in the list.
  • Iamblessed9572
    Options
    Thank you all sooo much. This is really helpful!
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I wear my hrm and burn over 300 cals while lifting, so yeah, I def. log them.
  • stacw1987
    stacw1987 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Hey,

I log them under both. I log under strength training so I know the reps and sets I am doing and now I have started to log under cardio to as I now have a HRM. I think its good to keep track of both! :)

Hope this helps :)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    If you know the calories you are burning during a strength training session, from a HRM, you can enter your own exercise. It will let you put a description, duration and calories burned. I think it shows up under My Exercises this way.

HRMs are not usually very accurate for strength training. Basically, your heart rate increase is not commensurate with the energy expended when lifting.
  • Nitro2310
    Nitro2310 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    found this app its seems close to live strong calculator its called calories burned calculator I have a android its on Google play
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    I don't see the exercises under cardio so I log under strength