Running Apps?

Options
Hello, I am have been starting to run for a few months now, and I can currently run (more like a job at 4.5 mph) for about 15-25 minutes straight now before I have to stop (seems to depend on the day). I really want to increase duration as well as speed and I just got my first smart phone. Does anyone have any apps they love that help them with this? Thanks in advance.

Replies

• kittyhug1986
    kittyhug1986 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mair123
    mair123 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the world of running- or as someone slow like myself calls it- wogging!!! To get your body properly conditioned without injury and prepare yourself for longer distances, I highly suggest the C25K program- couch to 5K. The program mixes walking and running and at the end of 9 weeks, you will be able to run a 5K- 3.1 miles. I started with this program almost a year ago, then worked my way up to running a 10K and I am now currently training for a 1/2 marathon. I have really come to love running and now do it, not for the physical benefits, but for my own peace of mind. In addition to the C25K coaching program, I have used Mapmyrun- there is also Runkeeper, and Runtastic to name a few, which uses GPS technology to track your runs and give you feedback on your pace/speed. My suggestion in the beginning is to take it easy. Too many new runners want to go hard and want to go fast and they end up getting hurt. Best of luck to you!
  • Amandatorie
    Amandatorie Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I have an app called "Interval Run" that I use on my iPhone. It has a few programs loaded in, such as couch to 5K. That's what I'm doing now. Even though you can currently run for 15-25 minutes, I'd suggest starting at the beginning of couch to 5K. The first week you only run for 1 minute or so at a time, but you'll be able to do a faster speed than you're currently jogging.

The app I have allows you to play whatever music you want in the background, which is why I like it. And it's super simple. However, I'm just using it to help with my intervals to work up to running longer distances at faster speeds...it doesn't track your pace, or include a GPS, or anything like that. I have other gadgets for that!
  • refinedredbird
    refinedredbird Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I used the Podrunner 5k Interval Program and it helped me a lot! I'm now starting up their 8K program.
  • ambarr82
    ambarr82 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I like the Runtastic app and it syncs to MFP.
  • kittyhug1986
    kittyhug1986 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    thanks for the input!
  • babyshme
    babyshme Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I use a few apps. Zombies!Run! is one of them. I also use Endomondo. It truly depends on what you like and don't like. I have tried a few other apps but I didn't like them. I used Map my Run for a while but switched over to Endo. More of a selection.
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    iMapMyRUN is a good one as well.
  • grendel322
    grendel322 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I use and like the Jeff Galloway lolo app. It will give you an option to ease into a 5k with walk/run breaks or improve your existing time. It will also let you use your own library as music, but it can alter the beat without altering the pitch to guide you with correct running pace. There are different workouts to focus onspeed and duration as well. It's $4 currently (I got it when it was free for a week), but I think well worth it.

http://appshopper.com/healthcare-fitness/jeff-galloways-ultimate-5k
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I use (or have used) c25kFREE by Zen Labs (that's how I got started, worked great and turned me into a runner!), 10k Trainer by the same maker, Runkeeper and Nike+ for tracking runs.
  • BodyCombatGirl73
    BodyCombatGirl73 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,837 Member
    Options
    I have used MapMyRun and I currently use MOVES.
    On an iPhone
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    The C25K by Zen Labs app bribes you with GCs. Not sure about the US but here in Canada it gives me Amazon.ca GCs. I've gotten $4 so far.
  • bstone79
    bstone79 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Runtastic is great. It uses your location services to track your speed and distance. Plus it syncs with myfitnesspal
  • jasonheyd
    jasonheyd Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I use Seconds Pro for intervals, and Digifit for workout tracking with a bluetooth HRM.

I like Digifit because you can purchase cardio assessments & customized workouts (including intervals) as in-app purchases. The assessments mean that you can determine your personalized heart rate zones, which are used for calorie burn estimates. The sensors (HRM, foot pods, etc.) are also an in-app purchase, and I think the total runs around $10 or so for everything.

Runtastic's probably my favorite running app. It's mapping functionality & social networking features definitely blow Digifit away, especially the web interface where you can map out routes before you head out.

If I could only get Runtastic to sync to Digifit, I'd be all set. :)

And a big +1 for Zombies, Run! too. Although I'm all out of missions & waiting for an update!
  • grendel322
    grendel322 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I have used and like Runtastic, Endomondo, but I think the lolo one will help more with the stated goals of building speed and endurance, as it gives you pre-programmed workouts, one tempo, one speed, one distance (endurance) each week. So it helps with pacing, speed and endurance. Just my two cents...eight more and you have a dime. :)
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    MapMyRun for me.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    Noom/Cardiotrainer for Android and Endomondo for iPhone.
  • shivaslives
    shivaslives Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Endomondo is a great running app and syncs seamlessly with MFP. It's also the best that I've tried for tracking non-GPS related fitness activities in the gym. If you plan on only using an app only for running, I've also heard that Runtastic is excellent.
  • 1Fizzle
    1Fizzle Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Mapmyrun, c25K, and I'm trying out the new digifit app that MFP is promoting.