YUM Sweet potato burgers and black bean burgers

Options
Thought I would share a couple of my favorite recipes!

They are vegetarian and gluten-free, and can be adapted to be vegan. I don't have calorie counts because the amount of oatmeal I use in mine varies but it's pretty easy to figure out with the MFP recipe builder.

Mark Bittman's Black Bean Burgers

* 2 cups well-cooked white, black or red beans, or chickpeas or lentils, or 1 14-ounce can, drained
* 1 medium onion, peeled and quartered
* ½ cup rolled oats (preferably not instant)
* 1 tablespoon chili powder, or the spice mix of your choice
* Salt and freshly ground black pepper
* 1 egg
* Bean-cooking liquid, stock or other liquid (wine, cream, milk, water or ketchup) if necessary
* Extra virgin olive oil or neutral oil, like grapeseed or corn.

1. Combine all ingredients except liquid and oil in food processor and pulse until chunky but not puréed. If necessary, add a little liquid for a mixture that is moist but not wet. Let mixture rest for a few minutes.
2. With wet hands, shape into patties and let rest again for a few minutes. (Burger mixture or shaped burgers can be covered tightly and refrigerated for up to a day. Bring back to room temperature before cooking.) Film bottom of a large nonstick or well-seasoned cast iron skillet with oil and turn heat to medium. When hot, add patties. Cook undisturbed until browned, about 5 minutes; turn carefully with spatula and cook 3 or 4 minutes until firm and browned.
3. Serve on buns with mustard, ketchup, chutney or other toppings.
Yield: 4 servings.

Maple Chipotle Sweet Potato Burgers

1/4 dry millet (I use quinoa) + 3/4 cup water
1 large or (2) small sweet potatoes, peeled, cubed and steamed (about 2 cups worth)
1 cup of baby Bella mushrooms, quartered
2 dates, pitted
1 chipotle pepper
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp dried cilantro, 2 tsp if using fresh
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1 tbsp pure maple syrup
1/4 cup wheat germ (GFO - oats - but you will need to add 2ish cups so the burgers are firm enough to flash-fry)

Assembly:

Peel, cube and steam sweet potatoes. In a small sauce pan bring water to a boil, add millet (or quinoa), cover and cook for 15 minutes until water is absorbed and millet is cooked through - remove from heat and cool.

In a food processor fitted with an s blade, process sweet potato, mushrooms, dates, chipotle pepper until mushrooms are finely diced.

In a medium bowl add sweet potato mix, cooked millet and remaining ingredients and mix well. Divide the mixture into 4 even mounds. Form each mound into a patty and place on a baking sheet.

In a medium fry pan, heat a tsp of canola oil over medium heat. 1 patty at a time pan fry in oil until each side is golden brown. Transfer back to the baking sheet, continue with each burger.

Bake pan seared burgers in a pre heated 350* oven for 10 minutes - this step ensures the burger
"sets" / "firms" up.

Yields 4 (but makes 6-7 if you use oats instead of wheat germ)

ENJOY!!!

Replies

• purplecharm
    purplecharm Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    bump
  • pacosal
    pacosal Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    mmmm...bump!
  • vicky1804
    vicky1804 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Bump for the Black Bean Burgers yum
  • paulkempjr
    paulkempjr Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I love black bean burgers, they are a staple in our home especially on Fridays. I am looking forward to trying the sweet potato burgers, thanks for the post.
  • Abi_bug04
    Options
    BUMP! Yummmmmmm.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,688 Member
    Options
    Thank you!!! I will be making these tonight!
  • mareeee1234
    mareeee1234 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Thanks!!!!
  • CupcakeCrusoe
    CupcakeCrusoe Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    Bump for later, I just made a huge batch of black beans, too! :)
  • SwimFan1981
    SwimFan1981 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    The sweet potato burgers sound lovely.

A question about the black bean burgers, I don't eat eggs, what would you recommend I use in place of the egg to bind the burger?

Have you taken pics of the finished burgers? I'm sure we'd all love to see :smile:
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
    Options
    bump
  • lamos1
    lamos1 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting. I have all the ingredients for the black bean burger. Will be cooking it tonight!
  • ktully93
    ktully93 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Bump to make later.
  • hamncheese67
    hamncheese67 Posts: 1,715 Member
    Options

A question about the black bean burgers, I don't eat eggs, what would you recommend I use in place of the egg to bind the burger?

Have you taken pics of the finished burgers? I'm sure we'd all love to see :smile:

Flaxseed works well as a binding agent. Mix 1 tbsp ground flaxseed + 3 tbsp water = 1 egg
  • oldandhealthier
    oldandhealthier Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    bump, thanks wanted to use extra beans around house. sounds good
  • curvynblonde
    curvynblonde Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • SwimFan1981
    SwimFan1981 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options

Flaxseed works well as a binding agent. Mix 1 tbsp ground flaxseed + 3 tbsp water = 1 egg

Thank you! :bigsmile:
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,124 Member
    Options
    I need to try these and see what these are like.
  • MamaWeil2018
    MamaWeil2018 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • auntsammy88
    auntsammy88 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Sounds good. I will have to try the black bean burgers soon. =)
  • Poetic_Photography
    Options
    Those both sound delicious... thanks for sharing!!