No Off Limit Foods?

Options
I just received Fitness mag in the mail and there is an article on the Anti diet. They are saying that habituation kills the feeling that you can't keep certain foods in the house. One mother didn't bake cookies for her kids because she knew she would devour them. Her anti diet strategy was to have cookies available 24/7. By day 4 the temptation was gone. Hmmm. I can see how that would work. If there are no off limit foods then then the temptation is gone. I know when I was younger my friends would have all these treats in their homes and would just grab 1. Since I never had them in my house, I would grab the bars and cookies... I wonder if this is worth trying or if it's opening up the flood gates of hell. In the past (ex. Tuesday) when I did binge on "bad" foods, I would binge because I never knew when I would have it again and/or I wanted to get rid of it by the end of the day. If that wasn't an issue, would I even want it.

Any thoughts on this?

Replies

• 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I think it could work. But you might have a "bad week" before it evens out.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    For me this came down to an addiction thing and if it was in the house I was going to eat it and it did not matter if it was around everyday. I was 560 lbs. and eating 10,000+ calories a day so in my case no this would not have worked at all. I literally had to bring in 2 = 32 gallon trash cans and rid the house of All Bad Trigger Foods until such a time that I could get my weight under control and address my addictions to food. Eventually I was able to introduce those foods back into my diet and today I have no issues with any food. If it fits my Macro's and Caloric intake then it is fair game but it took along time to work through my demons and get to that point....
  • Catlady87
    Catlady87 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I don't ban foods - if I have enough calories left and I want it, I'll eat it, but I don't buy things like crisps, biscuits, cakes etc.
    if I baked cookies (which I love) it would be harder for me to resist than if there were no cookies in the house, but I know that if I want cookies I can make them and its ok.
  • TammyS3
    TammyS3 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    With my new lifestyle change, I do not have a list of off-limit foods. I have found a new will-power (don't know where it came from LOL). My obsession is Reese's cups. So now, if I've eaten healthy all week and got all of my exercises in, I allow myself to have 1 Reese's cup on Friday evening as dessert. I don't know if that would help others, but it's really helped me. It's my way of limiting myself but not depriving myself.
  • Catlady87
    Options
    For me this came down to an addiction thing and if it was in the house I was going to eat it and it did not matter if it was around everyday. I was 560 lbs. and eating 10,000+ calories a day so in my case no this would not have worked at all. I literally had to bring in 2 = 32 gallon trash cans and rid the house of All Bad Trigger Foods until such a time that I could get my weight under control and address my addictions to food. Eventually I was able to introduce those foods back into my diet and today I have no issues with any food. If it fits my Macro's and Caloric intake then it is fair game but it took along time to work through my demons and get to that point....

Holy sheet you are an inspiration!! Congrats with the weight loss and the change in attitude towards food!
  • Catlady87
    Options
    With my new lifestyle change, I do not have a list of off-limit foods. I have found a new will-power (don't know where it came from LOL). My obsession is Reese's cups. So now, if I've eaten healthy all week and got all of my exercises in, I allow myself to have 1 Reese's cup on Friday evening as dessert. I don't know if that would help others, but it's really helped me. It's my way of limiting myself but not depriving myself.

That's exactly what I do. I've also found that I don't crave chocolate or pizza or other stuff like I used to.
  • SGT_Reg
    SGT_Reg Posts: 186 Member
    Options

Holy sheet you are an inspiration!! Congrats with the weight loss and the change in attitude towards food!

I second that.

And I agree, once you are at one with your body and you KNOW what it took and/or takes to make you look and feel good, then you can eat whatever you want as long as it fits in your friggin Macros.

I love peanut butter cookies.
  • Emilie04444
    Emilie04444 Posts: 151 Member
    Options

Congrats on the weight loss. That's awsome
  • Emilie04444
    Options
    I think it could work. But you might have a "bad week" before it evens out.

Another woman had 10 pints of ice cream in her freezer and after a COUPLE of months, it loss it's pull and now no food has a grip on her. That's what I want. It's kind of understandable and almost expected when overweight to shun foods and say "I can't" I don't want to be that person any more. As long as I stay within my calorie range, which someone else mentioned.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    The OP states:
    when I did binge on "bad" foods, I would binge because I never knew when I would have it again and/or I wanted to get rid of it by the end of the day.

If this is the case then I think the idea of 'leaving treats out 24/7 " should work once she got over the first few days.

It wouldn't work well if she in an emotional binger or has a 'sweet treats addiction'.
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Yeah anything and everything is fine in moderation.

I can keep a box of cookies in my house for months eat one cookie at a time, I've had a small sherbert in my freezer since October I haven't finished, It can take months to finish a candy bar......

Denying yourself food only makes you crave it more.
  • Emilie04444
    Options
    But do you keep the reeses in the house or do you buy the individual? Yesterday I ought one of those mini Haagen Daaz cups and it was perfect.
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    But do you keep the reeses in the house or do you buy the individual? Yesterday I ought one of those mini Haagen Daaz cups and it was perfect.

I buy the normal sizes. Once you know there's NO off limit foods, you're less likely to binge.
    At least for me.
  • morticiamom
    morticiamom Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    When I was twenty, I went to work at burger king, and after a few weeks at the fry vat, couldn't face the thought of eating fries, onion rings, or anything like.
  • TammyS3
    TammyS3 Posts: 28 Member
    Options

I was buying the individually just to keep away the temptation, but now, it doesn't bother me to have them in the house. Of course, they're not up on the counter in plain view!