How do I join a group?

Options
I have read in several posts about people who are in certain groups, etc. and I can't figure out how to find what groups exist or how to join one! Help! I can't believe I can't figure it out... how embarrassing!
Thanks!!!

Replies

• Dom_m
    Dom_m Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    They're informal. If you find a group that you think has similar goals to you, or something else in common, just make a post in the thread they're using and introduce yourself and why you're interested in them. I haven't seen a single group that's exclusive - everyone on MFP is very welcoming. If you regularly read and leave messages and get to know the people at the other end, then that pretty much makes you part of the group.

For instance, a lot of my MFP 'friends' are either in their last 10 pounds; Vegetarian/vegan; or Australian / living in Australia. I just joined in conversations with those sort of groups and sent friend requests to other people that identified that way (may have missed some). If my 'friends' are 'friends' with each other, then we've got a group.

ps. nothing to be embarrassed about!
    pps. you may see some posts with subjects like, "calling all 35yo single mum's with >100lb to loose who live in CA and do Chalean Extreme" or something like that. Then all those people drop a message introducing themselves and adding each other as friends to form a group, and create some reporting rules, or weekly challenges or something. If you can't find apparently established groups you're interested in, look for people that have something in common so you can connect and help motivate each other, then establish a new 'group'.

Good luck!
  • nahhan12
    nahhan12 Posts: 79
    Options
    No need to be embarrassed. I was wondering the same thing!
  • gigibon
    gigibon Posts: 13
    Options
    They're informal. If you find a group that you think has similar goals to you, or something else in common, just make a post in the thread they're using and introduce yourself and why you're interested in them. I haven't seen a single group that's exclusive - everyone on MFP is very welcoming. If you regularly read and leave messages and get to know the people at the other end, then that pretty much makes you part of the group.

For instance, a lot of my MFP 'friends' are either in their last 10 pounds; Vegetarian/vegan; or Australian / living in Australia. I just joined in conversations with those sort of groups and sent friend requests to other people that identified that way (may have missed some). If my 'friends' are 'friends' with each other, then we've got a group.

ps. nothing to be embarrassed about!
    pps. you may see some posts with subjects like, "calling all 35yo single mum's with >100lb to loose who live in CA and do Chalean Extreme" or something like that. Then all those people drop a message introducing themselves and adding each other as friends to form a group, and create some reporting rules, or weekly challenges or something. If you can't find apparently established groups you're interested in, look for people that have something in common so you can connect and help motivate each other, then establish a new 'group'.

Good luck!

Thanks so much for the information! Looks like you answered the question for two of us! I appreciate your time and congratulations on being so close to your goal!
    Best of luck!