Am I the only one who has a trouble staying under 1200?

Options
I have noticed alot of people saying they have a hard time reaching 1200. Well, I'm the opposite! I love snacking and I do it alot (well, I should say I did it alot...not so much now), but over the past two years I've gained 20 pounds which is why I'm here.

Anyway, I have a very hard time staying under 1200. So far I have never been under...I'm usually 100 over by days end. I'm stressed out about this. I want to lose weight but it's never going to work for me if I always feel hungry. I know I will give up!

Does anyone else have trouble staying at or under their calorie goal? What have you done about it? Maybe I'm eating the wrong foods or maybe my body is just used to snacking???

Any advice?

Thanks!!
Becky

Replies

• questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    I can only tell you what I did and that is to eat more! When I first came on and entered my info and MFP told recommended 1200 calories, I said"no effing way!" I know myself and my body enough to know that 1200 wasn't gonna cut it. Yes, I can be full on that amount when I eat "perfectly" -- lots of veggies and lean protein. I eat a lot of veggies and lean protein as it is, but I need more leeway and variety in my diet. So, I changed it to 1400 and I have been doing just fine.

You don't have very much to lose at all. Are you trying to lose 2 lbs/week? If so, the first thing I would do is lower that to probably 1 lb/week. Even if you are already at 1 lb/week, if 1200 isn't something that you can maintain long enough to lose the weight, then that isn't the right amount for you. You might lose the weight a little more slowly, but it will stay off better than if you force yourself to eat in a way that is not somewhat maintainable. Also, when your body only has a little bit of fat to lose, it is going to want to hold onto that fat a lot more so it is important to keep feeding it so it doesn't think you are starving.

If you want to stay at 1200, making your food diary public would help us give suggestions of ways to cut back.
  • armydreamers
    armydreamers Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Yes, I wanted to lose 2 pounds a week. You are right, though. I should probably change it.

I really appreciate your insight! Thank you!
  • pawprint061
    pawprint061 Posts: 640
    Options
    My question is why are you trying to stay under 1200? If your working out you should be above 1200 if your eating your calories earned. 1200 is the minimum that you should be at. I have mine set for a little over 1400 and that's not including any calories earned by working out. You do have to eat in order to loose. If you don't get enough for your metabolism than yes your body can go into starvation mode. If your feeling hungry all the time then maybe it's because you really are hungry.
  • cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I agree. You can eat 1200 a day with veggies and lean meats, clean foods. Plus it is a net goal, so a little exercise gives you more wiggle room. However, huge calorie slices dont seem to work for the vanity pounds, anyway.
  • armydreamers
    Options
    Yes, I get more than 1200 when I work out. Sorry I forgot to mention that. I've been trying to work out daily but so far I only burn between 130 and 240 daily. And even then I feel like I can't stay under the goal number! Ugh. Frustrating!

I went in and changed my goal to 1 pound a week and it's still only giving me a goal of 1290! GAAH!
  • MandyC82
    MandyC82 Posts: 73
    Options
    Did you enter in your typical workouts in that area too?
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    I don't think that 2 lbs/week is reasonable at all and it sounds like MFP wouldn't even really let you go low enough to get a 1000 calorie/day deficit since going to a 1lb/week goal only adds 90 cals.

Try to net 1350-1400 for a few weeks and see how that goes. (You can go in and manually change your goals.) If you are honestly hungry (and not just bored/wanting to snack -- and I definitely feel both at different times), then I say EAT. Of course try to focus on the bulkier foods like vegetables, but also don't be afraid to eat just a bit more to add in that egg yolk or peanut butter or whatever it is that you think you need to make it such that you aren't totally miserable! The weight loss might slow down a little, but it is going to slow down if you are starving your body anyway! Better to feed it and take off the pounds slowly than to starve it, feel miserable and binge/give up completely.
  • abutterflyemerges
    abutterflyemerges Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I've been at 1200 for quite some time now. I have my days where i go over. i lose about 2 lbs a week but then again I exercise 2-3 times a day. I am also a lap band patient which is why I can stay that low as I stay fuller longer. But heck I think I need to eat more as looking at the pictures from kaitlinj I am impressed. I would love to have her abs! And if that means eating 1400 well hell I'm for it. Right now I eat alot of fish, greens and try very hard to cut down my carbs. I mess up once in while, who doesn't? but for the most part I stay just under the 1200 mark. Good luck to ya
  • armydreamers
    Options
    @ Mandy - Yes, I did. ;)

@ Kaitlin - I will try that. Thank you. :)
  • JasonMan
    JasonMan Posts: 16
    Options
    i always drink water when I feel like snacking. It really helped me stay at my goals. Didnt like it at first but now its all good. I had to retrain my mind that I didnt need snacks all the time and the water makes you feel full until its time to eat.
  • connielepage
    Options
    Mine is also 1200 but I do 60 minutes on the elliptical (which gives me an additional 765 calories) five times a week. I am always under. I do not eat breakfast and I eat my lunch at 11 a.m. and I have dinner and snacks. I do not exercise or count calories on Saturday and Sunday. I have lost 15 pounds since April 19. The key I believe is to do 60 minutes of cardio a day and you get lots of extra calories and you won't ever use all of them up. It has worked for me and I am so happy! You have to exercise. Good luck.
  • cocacole77
    cocacole77 Posts: 53
    Options
    I feel ya girl! The first couple of weeks were REALLY hard for me but I started enjoying the lower calorie snacks after that. I HAVE to work out to stay under my calorie goal! I like to burn at least 400 a day so I can EAT a bit more! Try having LOTS of fruits at hand...strawberries, oranges, raspberries, apples...things that are sweet and will satisfy your snack attack! They will also help your digestive system which will help the weight loss!

Good luck and keep at it! If you are feeling low get on MFP and have a pity party with half of us ;) It's not easy but being healthy makes you feel better as a whole!
  • wendylady123
    wendylady123 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    If you are still hungry...like I have been the past couple days (must be coming close to that certain T.O.T.M.)...do what I did. Go to the grocery store and buy a bunch of strawberries! My store had them buy 1 get 1 free. They are in peak season right now.

I had to drive to Seattle and I just munched on those to help me through the long drive. I also munch on rice cakes (1 serving size at a time) to get me through my hungry points inbetween meals. They have tons of dang good flavors right now. Mmmmmm Blueberry. I ALSO INVESTED IN 3 LARGE BOXES OF ZIPLOCK BAGS! Totally great for throwing serving sizes from the big bags of snacks like the rice cakes. This has saved me and become a reminder that I need to follow serving sizes.

Also, if you dont feel like you are filling from your fruits. A serving size of almonds is 1 oz (24 nuts) 163 calories. Cut it in half when you snack on your fruits.

That's my tips for snacking.
  • cocacole77
    cocacole77 Posts: 53
    Options
    Yes I agree with Wendy...those kinds of things will be your saving grace!!
  • bella56
    bella56 Posts: 8
    Options
    I just went on holiday and despite resolutions, gained - I think about 3kgs which is about 7.5 lbs. (Everyone kept FEEDING us!) I have a really bad cold so can't exercise at the moment but I'm kickstarting my new regime with 1200 a day for about the next 3 days. When I'm on a full exercise day I usually add about 600 calories depending on what I do, but I also have a problem sticking to 1200. My downfall is at night, when I feel like nibbling, not on anything special, just bits of cheese, spoonfuls of jam (so embarrassing!) and stuff like that. They all add up! I can go to sleep on an empty stomach, so that isn't a problem, but I need that taste in my mouth if you know what I mean. I find your comments about 1400 calories really helpful, so I'm going to try that on my non-exercise days. The evening snacking really is a problem though. Any suggestions?
  • Thea_N
    Thea_N Posts: 16
    Options
    Every person's body has a different metabolism, and different rate of losing weight. I think since you are fairly young like I am you can eat a little bit more. Don't ever go under 1200, I promise once you start messing around with your diet more and more it will be easier to go under.. which isn't necessarily good. I was in losing weight this year and hit a plateau, because with how much I workout 1200 calories isn't enough. It is weird to say but I felt different, and I could tell my body was holding on to extra pounds. If your diet doesn't have a variety of all sorts of nutrition it will hold on to weight. ie. If you're not consuming enough fat your body will store it because it will not know when it will be replenished with it. I have lost 30 pounds now and my advice to you is to not worry too much about the numbers but worry about the food you're eating.. make sure its all really whole and healthy.. anywhere around 1400 calories would be my advice to you.. sometimes a little over and sometimes a little under wont hurt you. also, a ton of my friends have asked for my help with losing weight after they've seen my success.. I noticed with them they did need to tweak their diets, but one major thing that put them at a standstill and unable to lose weight is their alcohol consumption on weekends (about 200 extra cals a drink x around 5 drinks= an extra 1000 cals/day).. you may not be in the same boat, but just thought i'd share some insight.
  • SouthernMommyM
    Options
    Hey there,
    I'm new here & come having already lost 30# in the past 1.5yrs.
    I KNOW, for my body, 1200 calories is too low, at least a wee bit.
    I have insulin issues & need to try & keep stable blood sugar so that I don't feel faint, which can affect my entire day, not good.
    My question is How did you change your MFP settings to allow more calories?
    TIA~Michelle
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I have noticed alot of people saying they have a hard time reaching 1200. Well, I'm the opposite! I love snacking and I do it alot (well, I should say I did it alot...not so much now), but over the past two years I've gained 20 pounds which is why I'm here.

Anyway, I have a very hard time staying under 1200. So far I have never been under...I'm usually 100 over by days end. I'm stressed out about this. I want to lose weight but it's never going to work for me if I always feel hungry. I know I will give up!

Does anyone else have trouble staying at or under their calorie goal? What have you done about it? Maybe I'm eating the wrong foods or maybe my body is just used to snacking???

Any advice?

Thanks!!
    Becky

If you felt fuller you may not feel the need to snack. Try to include some sort of protein in breakfast, lunch and dinner. It is filling and may help you.

I purposely eat some sort of protein at all three meals for this reason and it seems to work.
  • LJSpencer
    LJSpencer Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem...I notice when I eat a huge breakfast, smaller lunch and evan smaller dinner...I do alot better during the day! I also try and eat an early dinner. My husband is italian and he makes alot of italian meals...he is trying to gain weight! The more fresh food you eat the more you can eat!