Breakfast ideas please!

Options
Hi all!
I am a bit new to MFP and am finding it good so far. My struggle and confusion is with breakfast. I am hungry in the mornings and want to eat, but I can't think of anything I actually want to eat for breakfast that will be good for me.

I'm rather fussy with textures so I don't like the texture or taste of porridge or most fruits or soggy cereal. I have been having Scrambled eggs in a wrap on the days when I work because it keeps me full til lunch, but I don't want that on my days off cos I get bored of it.

I read the post about when to eat carbs and fats and protein at specific times of the day, but that just confused me. So has anyone got any breakfast suggestions? I eat breakfast at about 7am most mornings (have to eat with the kids).

Replies

• wiseg2
    wiseg2 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could try french toast or pancakes made from whole grains? What about fruit or yogurt? Maybe a smoothie?
  • lilmissy2
    lilmissy2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I'm quite fussy with textures as well, especially for cereal or bread!

I eat boiled egg and toast on weekdays for the fullness at work too! but if I wanted a change:

2 crumpets (or pikelets if you can't get crumpets) with low fat ricotta and a small drizzle of honey
    Wholegrain toast with baked beans
    A weight watchers bagel toasted with tomato and reduced fat cheese
    A toasted sandwich
    A smoothie made with 1/2 cup skim milk, 100g low fat yoghurt and some fresh strawberries, berries or banana
    When I have cereal (not often at all!) I get a crunchy cereal like bran flakes and have 30g, fill a mug with milk, pour a little on my cereal and try to eat it quickly so it doesn't get soggy then have the rest of the cup of milk to keep me full

There's a few ideas anyway :)
  • sarahpenney11
    Options
    I like the Idea of Whole Grain French Toast, try making it with egg whites and low cal chocolate syrup, or just sprinkle with cinnamon to reduce calories, you could also add walnuts....mmmmm, all the protein in this should keep you full for a while, I also like french toast with PB, but I would eat PB on almost anything :)

Smoothies are a great option made with skim milk and plain low fat yogurt, just add your favourite fruit for flavour.

I also eat a lot of egg white omelettes, I like spinach (use frozen and save yourself the trouble of washing) and feta or goat cheese, and you could add red peppers and green onion for more flavour.

what about a homemade egg muffin? Use whole wheat english muffins, poach an egg, (or fry) use turkey ham and low fat mayo, pepper and what ever else you want.

Your pretty limited if you don't like cereal or bread, and eggs every morning gets pretty boring, you'll have to be creative with the ingredients you do like. Hope this helps
  • galoot
    galoot Posts: 17
    Options
    This morning I had an organic whole grain muffin with poached egg & turkey bacon.. oh and brown sauce :) Yumm!
  • themetra
    themetra Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I like 2 egg whites on a 100 calorie, high fiber english muffin, spread with a laughing cow swiss and a slice of tomato. Yum, and for under 200 cals!
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Options
    Awesome pancakes I make for my kids...and my husband...and myself.

2 cups self rising flour (or 2 cups all purpose w/ 2 t. baking powder added...or you can use whole wheat)
    1 T. sugar
    Whisk together in large bowl

1 1/2 c. skim milk
    2 eggs
    6 T. yogurt (I use plain, lowfat yogurt, but have also used strawberry...both work lovely).
    Beat these 3 ingredients in a small bowl, add to flour mixture. Stir just until combined, it should be a little lumpy. Pour by the 1/4 cup on a griddle and make like regular pancakes....makes between 20&25 pancakes...about 65 calories a piece. My kids LOVE them with a little all natural peanutbutter on top.

I have it in the database as 3babybeans - Kids Can Cook Pancakes. :smile:

Good luck finding something you like!
  • Chelsinicole63
    Chelsinicole63 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    You could make omelletes!
    Use 2 egg whites with tomatoes and cheese
    i think its delicious and low in calories
  • camelot
    camelot Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Dr. Oz eats steel cut oats every morning. I do not like the texture of oatmeal but I do like the texture of grits. This texture is like larger grains of grits. It is very healthy. I had never seen them at the grocery store, but they are there. He says you must buy the ones that you have to cook on the stove. I found this to be difficult each day and then on a program a woman was saying that she cooks a lot at one time and then divides it up in plastic bags and then each morning she gets one out and puts it in her bowl and straight to the microwave. I use the Smart Squeeze spread on mine which has no calories or fat and then add raw strawberries. With these oats you can add almost anything you like. I hope this was helpful.:happy:
  • ShastaAngel
    ShastaAngel Posts: 61
    Options
    These are pretty good, and can be made ahead of time, frozen and reheated in the microwave, which is perfect for work days or busy mornings.

Vegetable Quiche Cups To Go

1 10 ounce package frozen chopped spinich
    3/4 cup liquid egg substitute
    3/4 cup shredded reduced fat cheese
    1/4 cup diced bell pepper
    1/4 cup diced onion
    3 drops tobasco sauce ( optional, of course)

Microwave spinch 2 1/2 minutes on high. Drain excess liquid. Line a 12 cup muffin pan with foil baking cups and spray the cups with cooking spray.

mix together all ingredients in a bowl well. Divide mixture evenly among the muffin cups. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes , until a knife inserted in center comes out clean.

You can make these on a non-work day, freeze them and they are ready for a quick heat up in the microwave any time!

1 serving is 2 quiche cups.

Per serving:
    77 Calories
    9 grams protein
    3 grams carbs
    3 grams fat
    2 grams sat. fat
    2 grams fiber
  • LoveMy4Kids
    LoveMy4Kids Posts: 231
    Options
    I also do the egg mcmuffins with whole wheat english muffins, low fat sliced cheese and an egg fried in spray!
    Poached egg on whole wheat toast!
    Peanut butter and half a banana on whole wheat toast!
  • j_g4ever
    j_g4ever Posts: 1,925 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the ideas. I was actually just going to post something about quick breakfasts and this helped me out a lot.
  • viliberty1957
    viliberty1957 Posts: 194
    Options
    I don't like to go to a lot of trouble, so I do it simple. I sometimes toast 2 slices of Sara Lee Delightful 45 calorie bread. Spread one Tablespoon of fat free Miracle Whip on each slice. Add a microwaved 1/4 cup of eggbeater and I have a great sandwich. A cup of coffee and I am set til noon. You may not like this, but it is "comfort food" from my childhood, when my mom made the non-diet version for me before school. Ninety colories for the bread, eggbeater 30, and Miracle Whip 30. Total 150 calories. Hey, that leaves room for a little fat free cheese if you like. :happy:
  • hannah_lin
    hannah_lin Posts: 54
    Options
    fruit smooties are good-- bananas, frozen fruit and a splash of oj or nonfat milk usually make good ones.
    also, i like making egg white scramblers-- my current favorite is made w/ egg whites, mushrooms, onions, a few peppers and a couple small potato slices. It rings in around 225 cals. :)
    if i'm on the go i like nugo free bars-- 160 cals.
    good luck!!
  • princessleia1980
    princessleia1980 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I can't wait for breakfast now so I can try out the ideas!