New To Myfitnesspal

Options
Hello everyone, my name is Kyle.

Actually found out about this website while reading a local sports blog, some people were talking about it talking about the success they've had just by tracking the food they eat.

Sounds like it's worth a shot to me.

Let's hope I can achieve the same success.

Cheers!

Replies

• lilmissbamaqueen
    Options
    Welcome!! This is a wonderful place to help you achieve your fitness goals... feel free to add me! :flowerforyou:
  • primal7
    primal7 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP Kyle!
    I joined several months ago.
    Program has helped me keep track of my calorie intake ( good and bad) LOL and receiving support from my friends.
    Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • Biglovin373
    Options
    Thanks, like the site so far. It's nice to see a lot of REAL people working to lose weight.

Since I'm kind of just beginning this, how often or how many times a week should you weigh yourself?
  • Rutabega26
    Options
    Hello all! I am also new to MyFitnessPal. I joined I think a year ago but never tracked what I was eating never weighed in and never tracked my daily exercises. I have lost 15.4 lbs so far and I hope to lose lots more. I have heard wonderful things about it and so far I am loving it! I hope to make new friends here and get and give as much support as possible. Feel free to add me and give whatever tips you have for losing the weight and keeping it off! Any guidance would be greatly appreciated, especially since I am yo yo-er. Good luck to all and congrats to those who have lost and continue to lose!
  • Rutabega26
    Options
    Correction, I joined 2 years ago. But never tracked a thing. Here's to another try!
  • Rutabega26
    Options
    Hello! I'm not an expert but I've been told to weigh in about once a week. Do it in the morning when you wake up, but after you've used the bathroom. Also I was told to measure your waist to see what inches you are losing as well. It helps to do measurements because you may see that you are gaining weight, when you are actually losing pounds but gaining muscle. Good luck!
  • babyblooz
    babyblooz Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Welcome, Kyle! You can do it!!! :happy:
  • OddballExtreme
    OddballExtreme Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Hello! I'm not an expert but I've been told to weigh in about once a week. Do it in the morning when you wake up, but after you've used the bathroom. Also I was told to measure your waist to see what inches you are losing as well. It helps to do measurements because you may see that you are gaining weight, when you are actually losing pounds but gaining muscle. Good luck!
    She's right about weighing in part. It stays a lot more accurate, and you will fluctuate during the week with food, water, the works. It's normal. Don't weigh yourself every second, or you will go mad. Anyway, since I've joined MFP in June 2012, I've lost nearly 20 pounds, but nearly 50 in just over a year. The food tracking is a HUGE help for me, as I can track exactly how many carbs and how much sodium I've taken in for the day. As a person with Type 2 Diabetes AND high blood pressure, this food tracking is exactly what I need.

If you're looking for a friend for motivation, count me in. And relax, I don't go "food policing." Go with whatever works for you and stick with it! :flowerforyou:
  • cherylatkwechanged
    cherylatkwechanged Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Welcome this site is amazing
  • lilmissbamaqueen
    Options
    Thanks, like the site so far. It's nice to see a lot of REAL people working to lose weight.

Since I'm kind of just beginning this, how often or how many times a week should you weigh yourself?

They say you should only weigh once a week, first thing in the morning. I use a Wii Fit and it wants to me do a "daily body test", so I end up weighing every morning. It just depends on how closely you want to track it. The problem with weighing every day, I've found, is you'll see fluctuations due to water retention, etc., and you have to try to not let it bother you. As with everything else, you just have to find what works for you. :)
  • kaylahl
    Options
    Feel free to add :) xo
  • abigail132
    Options
    Anyone feel free to add me :) Always love new friends!
  • oudixon
    oudixon Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the site. I have always tried other things- usually cutting everything at once. However, since I have used this for two weeks now I have lost about 14 pounds(lb per day). I believe the food part of this just keeping track is one of the biggest reasons.
  • avababy05
    avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Like the bobble head.I have Mr Chow next to me as I type this.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    Hi, Kyle!

I have been here about 6 months. Logging my food and calories worked great to get me to my goal,weight. Now I am tracking my workouts to get me to my goal body composition. The self-accountability works well for me.

Good luck! Track everything!
  • azavala78
    azavala78 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Welcome! It's been a great site for me - and I have loved the support that I have gotten :) Feel free to add!