Husband purchsed wine cellar...trying to reduce alcohol

Options
So I have a dilemma. Im trying to cut down drinking. I don't indulge in spirits often however I love red wine and I do drink wine 3-4 days per week. So today my hubby surprised me with a huge wine cellar to have installed in our bar downstairs along with cases of wine to fill it up. We already had a small one. Its lovely & will be a great addition to our home however I don't want to feel obligated to drink more because its here. I also don't want to hurt his feelings as its taken a lot of preparation to have it delivered plus hiring a contractor to have it installed. I don't know what to do! What would you do in this situation?

Replies

• Gracerrr
    Gracerrr Posts: 141
    Options
    What would I do? Tell him what you just told us....

ETA: I'd still drink whatever suited me and I know it wouldn't hurt my husband's feelings an ounce.
  • macdiver
    macdiver Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I have over 400 bottles in my cellar, yet my wife and I only drink 2- 3 bottles per week mostly with dinner on weekends. Just because you have the wine does not mean you have to drink a bottle a day.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Just because you have a 50" TV, it doesn't mean you have to watch it all the time.

:-D
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I don't see anything wrong with having a glass or two of red wine 3-4 nights a week. If that's all you're drinking, I don't feel like it would "obligate" you to drink more with a new wine cellar, since you'll get to enjoy it about every other night anyway. If your hubby seems particularly interested in busting out a new bottle every night, tell him that while you really appreciate the new cellar, you don't want it to affect your new healthier lifestyle choice. He should be able to understand that cutting back isn't the same as snubbing his new gift.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Uhhhhh......I would drink whenever you want or don't want, as it suits your own goals. If having a wine cellar makes you feel compelled to drink, You might need to reevaluate your relationship with alcohol. I'm not saying this to be mean or accusatory at all, I just honestly don't understand how this would negatively affect you.
  • jonnyman41
    jonnyman41 Posts: 1,032 Member
    Options
    you don't have to drink it just because it is there lol. Just cut down and also invest in some more expensive wines so that you only drink them on special occasions. Seeing as you have the cellar now, why not also part fill it with investment wines, ones you don't drink as they are worth quite a bit and tend to go up in value. That way you get to enjoy the wine without drinking it.

PS I love wine too but no chance of having a cellar in my house
  • kathyhull
    kathyhull Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    You could invite us all over to help you celebrate your new wine cellar and we would be happy to remove some of that awful temptation for you!! LOL. What a wonderful gift. Enjoy it slowly for a long time!
  • hunterman95
    hunterman95 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Sounds nice, let him install it. No need to drink more, the wine won't go bad!

Same kind of situation for me. Just before I started this journey, my wife signed us up for a wine of the month club where we got 15 bottles a month. Right now we are only consuming about 1-2 bottles a month. Needless to say, the cases of wine have been piling up! We finally discountinued our membership & I don't think we'll have to buy any wine for another 2-3 years!
  • leopardjunkie
    Options
    have him install a keyed lock :) he can hide the key :)

or crack open a bottle have a glass and just enjoy the moment :) Temptations are everywhere and it sucks when they are in your house, but it gives you plenty of opportunities to work on your own self control.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    Um, don't drink more than you want? It's pretty easy. The same thing applies to food in your pantry and refrigerator, and besides, wine stores longer than fresh veggies.
  • Imgoing2makeit
    Options
    Lol at some of the responses! I love sarcasm. Like I said I do indulge 3-4 times per week. I only log the cheap wines as the ones I consume ar not in database & I would prefer an estimate opposed to hiding it & not logging at all as I want to hold myself accaccountable. I plan on drinking 3-4 times per week & reducing to once per week. As I have gradually reduced my intake. but I don't want him to to feel like I don't appreciate his gesture or try to return to old habits drinking a bottle a day. We usually drink the wine at dinner. Also Im a "housewife" so I don't want it starring me in the face all day. I do suffer from depression & it does make me feel better but that doesn't mean its good for me. I do go to therapy weekly. I just thought I would get opinions from the board. Thanks!
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    So I have a dilemma. Im trying to cut down drinking. I don't indulge in spirits often however I love red wine and I do drink wine 3-4 days per week. So today my hubby surprised me with a huge wine cellar to have installed in our bar downstairs along with cases of wine to fill it up. We already had a small one. Its lovely & will be a great addition to our home however I don't want to feel obligated to drink more because its here. I also don't want to hurt his feelings as its taken a lot of preparation to have it delivered plus hiring a contractor to have it installed. I don't know what to do! What would you do in this situation?
    I love how you used 'dilemma' and didn't suggest the husband is screwing you over like many here do. You are awesome.

If I were in this situation, I would appreciate the bragging rights and have the occasional wine lol. Just because you have the cellar doesn't mean you need to be a alcoholic :P
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I would be thrilled if I had a wine cellar...that's what I'd do.
    Seriously.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Ummm....just because you have a wine cellar doesn't mean you can't reduce your consumption. Enjoy the wine cellar and the occasional bottle of wine. I've cut back a lot on my drinking, but I do still indulge (sometimes heavily) and I've lost 25 Lbs since mid October.
  • weatherlady
    Options
    I'd say continue to drink as you do, and see how it affects your weight loss goals, and adjust from there. A wine cellar sounds AMAZING! I'm totally jealous haha. Wine is definitely better for you than other spirits, so don't quit what you enjoy.
  • ripemango
    ripemango Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    i love red wine and champagne. I hope they will always be a part of my life.

I do not see the need to cut them out completely. Just count them for the calories that they are and move on. You certainly don't have to drink more just bc you got a wine cellar.

IF you have a hard time not using up the last of a bottle save it for stews, roast, etc. a partial bottle lasts a long time but if you're really concerned you could always freeze into ice cubes.
  • Lunatic379
    Options
    Just because you have a 50" TV, it doesn't mean you have to watch it all the time.

I disagree 100%, that's exactly what it means. Surround sound, and you don't ever get off the couch!

LOL
  • Imgoing2makeit
    Options

I disagree 100%, that's exactly what it means. Surround sound, and you don't ever get off the couch!

LOL

Yes 50" are nice for guest bedrooms etc..but when you have a mini theatre & depressed you actually do watch too much TV. The statements are hilarious! O well...life goes on LOL!!!
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    More storage makes self control simpler.