How to Get More Natural Fiber

Options
According to the experts I am supposed to be eating about 38grams of fiber each day. I find it easy to get to about 25 eating lots of fresh vegetables, beans, multigrain etc. But getting from 25 to 38 is really hard while getting my 130grams of protein and staying under 1750 calories. What would you do? Not interested in supplements.

Replies

• BrotherBill913
    BrotherBill913 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    They make fiber supplements you mix up with water.
  • BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    more vegetables!!!!!!!!
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Well, I had a look at my diary going a few days back, and I often exceed 50 grams while staying within your calorie limit (give or take). Have a look if you like. I do eat a lot of fruits and vegetables and whole rye bread.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    According to the experts I am supposed to be eating about 38grams of fiber each day. I find it easy to get to about 25 eating lots of fresh vegetables, beans, multigrain etc. But getting from 25 to 38 is really hard while getting my 130grams of protein and staying under 1750 calories. What would you do? Not interested in supplements.
    [/quote

I just started growing wheatgrass. I plan to grind it up in morning smoothies.
  • ym2011
    ym2011 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I am not one for supplements and it is always better to get what your body needs from foods. Get some oat bran and you can add to yogurt or make into porridge or make cookies. The list of ways to use oat barn is endless. Enjoy!
  • Sorashi
    Options
    Kiwis are your best friends
  • mooglysmom
    mooglysmom Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Good post, I have troube too because I'm gluten free and have trouble digesting some fruits and vegetables.
    I have started using higher fiber gf flours, and coconut flour. And eating prunes :).
  • Momzilla2five
    Momzilla2five Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Pumpkin purée, oatmeal, steel oats, ground flax seed, sweet potatoes, black beans, navy beans, brown rice pasta, quinoa, butternut squash, all veggies and stick with berries for fruit. Don't forget peanut butter and nuts!!
  • 0ebergst0
    0ebergst0 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Good tips, thanks!

I played around with your suggestions and the calculator a bit and this is what I'll try (or close to it).

Breakfast:
    Red mill oat bran with flax 150Cal 10g Fiber

Snack:
    Apple 80cal 7g fiber

Lunch
    1/2 cup beans in a salad 110 cal 7g fiber

Snack
    2 carrots 60 cal 4g fiber

Dinner:
    2 cups cauliflower or brocc 60cal 6g fiber

Total:
    460 calories/ 34g fiber

I figure I'll the other 4 grams from other stuff.
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    It's not 100% necessary to actually hit the 38 mark. It's an approximate number. For most people, between 25 and 35 is a comfortable place to be.
  • Momzilla2five
    Options
    Quest bars are FANTASTIC and have 17g of fiber each. I eat one a day. I usually get 50-67g of fiber a day, all from food. One day a week I'm close to 85g.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Good tips, thanks!

I played around with your suggestions and the calculator a bit and this is what I'll try (or close to it).

Breakfast:
    Red mill oat bran with flax 150Cal 10g Fiber

Snack:
    Apple 80cal 7g fiber

Lunch
    1/2 cup beans in a salad 110 cal 7g fiber

Snack
    2 carrots 60 cal 4g fiber

Dinner:
    2 cups cauliflower or brocc 60cal 6g fiber

Total:
    460 calories/ 34g fiber

I figure I'll the other 4 grams from other stuff.

A banana would do it.

I seem to get much of my fiber from breakfast, usually a smoothie with a banana and frozen berries. Nuts have a lot of fiber, too, though also calories of course.
  • peacemongernc
    peacemongernc Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    My fiber tends to be the highest on days when I eat black beans or pinto beans, and popcorn. My favorite bread is the Sprouted Wheat low fat bread at Trader Joe's. It has 5 g protein and 5 or 6 g of fiber per slice. But recently I've been eating Tortilla Factory Smart and Delicious tortilla wraps. I can't recall the fiber and protein off the top of my head, but their pretty good, and they taste good, too. Most mornings I either make an egg white and turkey bacon/sausage wrap or sandwich and it gets my whole day off to the right start with high protein and high fiber and low-ish calories.
  • peacemongernc
    Options
    Oh, and someone mentioned berries for fruit... this is a good idea. I used to eat an apple or two everyday, but now I'm having blueberries or strawberries more often. They seem to be higher fiber per calorie and they are lower in sugar. I find that strawberries, especially, can squash my cravings and up my fiber pretty quickly. Almonds and high fiber and protein, too, but they are higher calorie than some snacks. If you have room for the fat and calories, they are a great option.
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I love beans. If you eat beans regularly, your fiber intake will be high. Also snacks like apples and surprisingly avocados. The latter is high in fiber even though it has a very rich, creamy taste.
  • peacemongernc
    Options
    One of my MFP friends posted this today:

1/2 c. pumpkin puree 1/4 c. egg whites (from an egg or carton) Sweetener Cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice Directions: 
Mix together all the ingredients. If you prefer a flan-like texture, add more pumpkin; if you prefer a cake-like texture, add more egg whites. Microwave for two minutes. Use a mix of Greek yogurt, hazelnut cream cheese, and pumpkin pie spice for the icing. Top with toasted pecans. Makes one serving.

You could do the same thing with sweet potatoes instead of pumpkin.
  • Momzilla2five
    Options
    One of my MFP friends posted this today:

1/2 c. pumpkin puree 1/4 c. egg whites (from an egg or carton) Sweetener Cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice Directions: 
Mix together all the ingredients. If you prefer a flan-like texture, add more pumpkin; if you prefer a cake-like texture, add more egg whites. Microwave for two minutes. Use a mix of Greek yogurt, hazelnut cream cheese, and pumpkin pie spice for the icing. Top with toasted pecans. Makes one serving.

You could do the same thing with sweet potatoes instead of pumpkin.

Add ground flax seed and vanilla whey powder to this for a phenomenal snack!! When you eat, you should have fat, carbs and protein with each meal.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    I am not one for supplements and it is always better to get what your body needs from foods. Get some oat bran and you can add to yogurt or make into porridge or make cookies. The list of ways to use oat barn is endless. Enjoy!

Supplements are exactly that: to SUPPLEMENT your food when, as was stated, you can't get fulfill your nutritional needs with diet alone. That said, there's no reason you shouldn't be able to get enough fiber from your diet. All more vegetables and fruits and you'll be good.
  • 1stday13
    1stday13 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I too eat a lot of fruits & vegetables. I also eat Fiber one cereal quite a bit. It is a good source. One other thing that has like 12 grams & only 68 calories is a Ole Wellness Tortilla/ Tomato-basil make great wraps! :flowerforyou: