How fast is too fast on weight loss?

Options
I'm love the number as I go down but how fast is too fast.? Really? I have lost over 10 lbs in 2 weeks or more. I'm trying to do 1200 calories but the truth is that I alway hit above it. I have been working out but had to take a break because of some of the pain I was getting. I'm averaging about half a pound a day of weight loss. Love it but not sure this is healthy either.

Mari

Replies

• tattereds
    tattereds Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    This really depends on how big you are at the moment. It's easier to lose a lot at the beginning when you are big, but I have found the losses tend to slow over time.

That said, in the past I have lost 2.5 kilos one week then nothing the next... These things just happen sometimes!

I guess the most important thing is to keep track of your diet and exercise and make sure they are definately in good balance, and the weight will come off how ever is best for you. If you are worried though, always a good idea to check in with your doctor to get some advice.

Congrats on your awesome weight loss so far!

:D
  • karenga
    karenga Posts: 28
    Options
    I lost 15lbs in the first 8 days then nothing for the next 8 days. I have made sure to stick to my calorie count. I the next week I lost 2 lbs. I wanted to loose about 1 1/2 lbs per week and i'm sure i am slowing down to that. I guess your weight loss depands on how big and how much exercise you did before. i did nothing before and started out with 3 half swims and 2 45 minute walks the first week, my body has obviously started to adjust to the exercise routine now.
    Congrates on your weight loss and as tattereds said consult your doctor especially if your getting too much pain from exercising.
  • sarahpenney11
    Options
    You will generally lose very quickly in the first couple of weeks especially if you have drastically changed your eating/exercise habits, your body is adjusting. Once it adjusts to your new lifestyle it will slow down, maybe even stop for a week or two, but don't get discouraged, it will pick up again at a slower more regular pace if you are sticking to your routine. Good Luck!
  • MariRuiz24
    MariRuiz24 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks you guys. I will be really truthful here. I was at 262.6 and I'm at 251.4 at the moment. I want to say that I have been on a diet and exercise for a while but really got strict on myself within that last two weeks. I would say that I exercise about 5 to 6 times a week but it all varies. I don't stick to one thing at all and try to make it fun. but of course all this has been causing some pain on the shins and the ankles (Was doing jump rope...lol!) Well we will see that week 3 has in store for me and hope that each and everyone of you have a sucessful weight loss. I have not been at 250 in years and my goal is to get below it and then set the next goal.
  • tattereds
    tattereds Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    That's amazing, congratulations on your progress so far!

When I started at the beginning of last year I was at 117kg (about 260lbs) and by exercising 6 days a week (2 x 45 min jogs a day) and dieting like a mad woman, by June was at 82kg (about 180lbs). I was so excited every week to see the numbers going down, so I know how psyched you must be to see such great progress!

Unfortunately, we moved interstate and I went back to my old sedentary ways and crappy diet so am back up to 92kg (about 200lbs) now :( so it's back to the dieting I go.

I have just started this week and am hoping to see some awesome losses like you have had, but I also know it may be more difficult to lose it this time around...

Anyway, good luck and keep it up, I hope you keep seeing the same kind of progress :)
  • DarcieC2389
    DarcieC2389 Posts: 146
    Options
    Congratulations on your weight loss. While we all want to lose weight as soon as possible, I have heard and read that 1/2 lb-2 lbs a week is the safest for weight loss to prevent any health issues such as anemia and such. But then again is everyone is different. I would say you are doing fine as long as you are feeling ok healthwise. It would depend on how much exercise you get in also. To be realistic though, there are going to be some weeks where you might not lose anything. That is just the nature of the human body and metabolism.