Others Like Me (Young and with A LOT to Lose)

Options
I have been on this site for almost two months, and am VERY happy with my progress (21 pounds). I would love to have more friends to give motivation to and receive motivation from.

I am in my early twenties (just turned 23 last week!)...not THAT young anymore, I guess. I have always been big, and have never really felt comfortable with myself. At the end of last year, as I watched the scale begin creeping up to 300 (I never quite got there...my starting weight was 284, and I am now down to 263) I got freaked out. I felt that if I reached 300, there was never going to be any coming back from it. I had to start RIGHT THEN, or I never would. On my mothers suggestion, I began using myfitnesspal.

Since then, I have changed my lifestyle. I exercise, which besides a walk or two every once in awhile, I never really did before. I am paying attention to what I am eating. But in my family, and among my friends, I am the only one I know who is fighting to make such a BIG life overhaul.

I want to know if there is anyone else like me out there. Still a young adult and/or trying to lose a significant amount of weight to be healthy. I would love to have anyone who meets either of those criteria as a MFP friend. It would be wonderful to log on here everyday and know that others are fighting as much of an epic battle as I am. And, of course, everyone's battle is epic to them, but I want the motivation of others who are in a situation close to my own.

I got a little wordy there...must be the English degree coming out...thanks if you took the time to read this! :laugh:

P.S. Even if you are neither young or losing over 100 pounds like me, I would still love to have you as a friend. The more the merrier!

Replies

• amandapwnzzz
    amandapwnzzz Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hey! I'm 19/college freshman. I have been doing this for about 6 weeks. I am only a little over 4 pounds down but I have about 80 pounds to go! Would love a young friend for encouragement!
  • 1two3four
    1two3four Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I started at 287 and had that exact feeling about 300! However, not quite 23 anymore, unfortunately... will friend!
  • eggsmilkbread
    eggsmilkbread Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    hi! happy late birthday :) I'm just 20 years old and I FEEL like I have a lot to lose, I just came down from a really bad cold that really screwed up my progress/routine now I'm DYING to get back into it! I'll add you asap
  • chelseawill03
    chelseawill03 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I have accepted the requests! Even just the responses already makes me feel less...alone, I guess. :)
  • cncrafton
    cncrafton Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I am 21 and want to lose 80-100 pounds (well, 50-80 pounds now - woo!). I'll request you and I welcome any other friends in similar situations!
  • thescrumisfun
    Options
    Hey I'm a college sophomore, currently lost 30(ish) pounds, and looking to lose about twenty more. Or, rather, get to 20% body fat. Feel free to add me. Started at 195 lbs. in May.
  • 1two3four
    1two3four Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Even just the responses already makes me feel less...alone, I guess. :)
    I went my first year on MFP with no friends at all and let me tell you it was hard but not impossible... I am just now starting to gain friends and MFP is totally awesome now. It is so much more enjoyable and I am so much happier about my weight loss. You are totally not alone and you can totally do this!
  • MDawg81
    MDawg81 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I have accepted the requests! Even just the responses already makes me feel less...alone, I guess. :)

I've only lost 10lbs because of my own food choices, but I know what you mean about feeling less alone. Even if people aren't there in person to cheer you on, just knowing people want you to succeed and are around to talk to helps tremendously.
  • chelseawill03
    Options

I've only lost 10lbs because of my own food choices, but I know what you mean about feeling less alone. Even if people aren't there in person to cheer you on, just knowing people want you to succeed and are around to talk to helps tremendously.

That is it, exactly!
  • QuietImperfections
    Options
    'Ello there! I'm 19 years young (although I'll be turning 20 this year D: lol). I want to lose a large amount of weight, but my first goal is to just get below the 200's *shudders*.

Feel free to add me ^-^

P.s: If I don't add you right away, it's because I logged off lol. I won't forget about you! xD
    P.s.s: I needed to see some motivation evey time I logged in, so disregard the lack of my actual face in my profile picture. :)
  • eventinely
    Options
    I'm in a similar spot I guess. For years my weight would just go up no matter what I did and dr's always told me I was just lazy and unhealthy but after almost 8yrs a Dr finally listened and found out I have a thyroid problem and am insulin resistant. I'm in my late 20's and have over 100lbs to lose to be in my ideal bmi range for my height but trying to start off small. I joined over a year ago but never added any friends or anything probably because of all the years I was told it was just me and nobody supported what I knew my body was telling me. I've made some progress over the last 6-7 months losing a tiny bit of weight and a couple of inches off my waist and hips but I've still gotta get better at logging in more then once a week or two it seems, maybe if I add some ppl it'll help lol so add me if you like.
  • emsthethininme
    emsthethininme Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hey! I'm 23, too, and I started at 250...I want to lose at least 100 pounds. I've been large my whole life, like you. Also, I am an English major! Way to go on your progress so far. I'm on here every day. I have sent you a friend thingy. :)
  • janeilm89
    Options
    I'm also 23 and have a significant amount to lose! Like 100+ lbs! I currently weigh 250lbs, and like another poster said, my main goal right now is to get under 200lbs. I will send you a friend request! Anybody reading this is also welcome to friend request!
  • SteveK279
    SteveK279 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I'm a little older (30), but also on a similar journey - started here near the end of October @ 271.8 and have that down in the mid 220s now. It is hard when those around you aren't doing the same, but the further you go, the more you'll inspire them to change too and it will get easier
  • blcotton
    Options
    I'm 22 years old and am a full time college student. I currently weight 220 and need to lose about 75lbs to be at my goal weight of 145. In my freshman year of highschool I weighed about 210 and got down to 160 with lots of exercise and counting calories, however, over the years I have managed to gain all that weight back plus some:( I know it's from bad eating habits and lack of exercise and discipline. I just got married in August and and have been working night shifts at WalMart stocking shelves for the past 7months which is a pain! So, between going to school full time, working overnights, trying to get my sleep during the day, spend time with my husband, and keep up with all my school work...it's quite a challenge to balance! But I know if I did it once I can do it again! this past week I started a workout program that lasts for 60 days so I'm hoping that will help! my biggest problem is still my eating habits which I am trying to change for the better. I definitely want to get down to my goal weight so that I can be confident and happy with myself:) it's good to find people on here with similar goals. Good luck and I will send you a friend request.
  • kirby34puckett
    kirby34puckett Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I turn 20 in about a week and have about 100lbs to lose! Anyone can add me!
  • MaryPoppinsIAint
    MaryPoppinsIAint Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Well, I don't know about young (I turn 30 tomorrow), but I started out at 238 and want to hit 150, so a total of 88 pounds. I've lost 13 so far, but mostly because I just had surgery & was in the hospital & couldn't eat for a week... so I'm not sure it counts. The surgery was to remove my gall bladder, which helps the body digest fat. So, I don't have a choice anymore, my diet has to get good and stay good NOW, because every time I slip, my body is going to punish me for it. I'm still in the bland, gentle, easy to digest foods phase of post-surgery recovery. Makes it kinda hard, a lot of the things that are easy on the stomach are also pretty high-calorie foods.

I have a 15 month old son who is typically toddler-active, and I don't have the energy to keep up with him. That has to change. I have an exercise bike (a good quality recumbent) that my husband is bringing upstairs and rearranging the living room so I can use it more easily. It's hard for me to walk, because in addition to being very very heavy I also have a joint disorder that makes it really painful to be on my feet for more than 30 or so, and that's if I'm just standing about. Impact exercises are pretty much not possible.
  • chelseawill03
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies, your friend requests, and your support. I was surprised by how many people responded, and I love reading all your stories. Its great to see that there ARE people like me and have the same worries and goals that I do!
  • kaorinchan
    kaorinchan Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Sending you a request!

I'm 24, and need to lose a total of 150 lbs (scary!!!!) I'm on everyday also, I need some active friends to keep me motivated :)
  • oudixon
    oudixon Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I am 31, I still want to think that is "young" hahaha Best of luck. I am in the process of dropping 150 pounds for sure. Have lost about 14 in 14 days.