Finally Taking Initiative

Options
Hi, my name's Amanda! I just recently realized that for my whole life, I had not given one ounce of effort into eating healthy, or excersizing, and it has slowly become the demise of me. I am eighteen years old and though I dont look it, weigh about 240lbs. I have great friends who love me for who I am, and I actually don't get judged very often on my weight.. but I know how much better I'll feel once I have a grasp on myself, and feel good about my body. By the end of the summer(September) I'de like to have lost between 50-75pounds, and over time.. I hope to be down to 150 or under, and excersizing regularly. I just started my diet/excersize two days ago, so I'm just beginning and It's hard.. but I really do feel that if i work towards it, I can become the person I want to be (:

Replies

• Mirlyn
    Mirlyn Posts: 256
    Options
    Welcome!
  • Kath15
    Kath15 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Welcome, Amanda! I think that you will love this site just as much as everyone else does. It really helps keep you on track with eating healthier and the support of the community is great. For inspiration, I always love to look at the Success Stories in the message board forum and the before/after pictures are always amazing. You can do this -just make small changes first and then build on that. If you falter w/diet or exercise (because everyone does at some point) don't let it derail you and just move forward. Good luck!
  • amandagetrich
    Options
    thanks so much! Yeah, the diet part really isnt all too hard for me, its the excersizing that kills me. Because i'm overweight, and I smoke, AND i have bad asthma, it makes it really hard to breathe right during excersizes, so hopefully starting small with them will be okay too.
  • zippy111
    zippy111 Posts: 2,241 Member
    Options
    Welcome Amanda! You sound like you have a great positive attitude! You are on the right track! This site has been a great source. Remember it will not happen over night and you have to take one day at time and keep at it!

Best of luck!
  • sunnyskys
    sunnyskys Posts: 43
    Options
    don't think of your new food choices as a Die-t... Think of it as a Newer Healthier YOU. because not changing is truly what will kill us. So i started calling my choice ,ELF ---Eating Life's Fuel....Instead of DIE-t. anything related to death isnt good sounding to me.

You will succeed here i have only been here a few days and already have felt welcomed and heard so many SUCCESS stories..
    I know in my heart you will be one of them. Welcome to the family and good luck on your journey enjoy your ELF and take pleasure in the ability to exercise and may life bring you Joy!
  • amandagetrich
    Options
    Thanks, and yes I do have a positive outlook on it. My friends are also giving me some great support, so I have an awesome feeling about this. I can't wait until its nice enough to swim!
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    Welcome Its much easier to have unhealthy eating and exercise habits it takes absolutly no thought on our part. You don't have to plan or take time out for anything. No meal planning or time out to exercise. Just kick back and relax aaHHHHHHHHHHH. Yikes what happened. Then bam I think I'll weight my self. Holy geeeeeeeeee hose a fat. I weight. WHAT!!!!!!!!!! lets try it again. Scale must be broken, maybe if I stand perfectly still, what if I stand towards to back of the scale. Oh well guess its time eat healthy and exercise. Anyway that was me. Now this site makes me responseable and all these wonderful people
  • shari66
    shari66 Posts: 49
    Options
    Dear Amanda,
    It is GREAT that you are taking control! Just honestly journal everything that you eat and you will start to be more aware of what you are eating and the changes that you might want to make there. Drink lots of water and try to factor a little bit for fitness into each day...even a 30 minute walk is an excellent start. Gradually, you will start to notice great changes in your body and in how you feel and that will just keep you motivated. Until then, use your fitness pals...we're with you in this!!
    All the best,
    Shari:flowerforyou:
  • Mirlyn
    Mirlyn Posts: 256
    Options
    Go for a walk around the mall a few days a week or something as far as your exercise goes. Burning those calories a few times a week will help a bunch :).