Butternut Squash Soup

2 Tbsp. Butter
    1 small onion
    1 stalk celery
    1 medium carrot
    2 medium red potatoes
    1 med squash - peeled, seeded & cubed
    1 32 oz. carton organic veggie stock

Melt butter in large pot. Cook onion, celery, carrot, potatoes and squash 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Pour in enough stock to cover, about 3 cups. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 40 minutes. Put in food processor or use immersion blender and process until smooth. Return to pot and mix in additional stock, if necessary, to attain desired consistency.
  • beanerific518
    Options
    both the fries and soup sound awesome! I will have to try!

I usually roast butternut squash in the oven: http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipe/learn-cook-roasted-butternut-squash

I use my garlic herb infused olive oil and AA Borsari Original season salt.

The garlic herb olive oil is made ahead of time using regular extra virgin olive oil and simmering smashed garlic cloves and fresh herbs (I like rosemary and thyme). I make a lot at a time - so for a 3L jug of oil, I use 6 heads of garlic. Simmering the garlic over low heat (don't fry it) kills any bacteria that might be on the garlic.

You can get the seasoning at Whole Foods or online at http://www.amazon.com/Borsari-Seasoned-Salt-Original-Blend/dp/B000144GWS. I won't use any other seasoning salt mixture - it is that good.
  • NaurielR
    NaurielR Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Simple is best! i love the taste of roasted butternut squash.

Peel, cut into cubes, and toss with a little oil, salt, and pepper. Place in a baking dish and throw it in a 400 degree oven for 30 minutes. Remove from oven, and enjoy.

You can also use other seasonings to spice it up. One of my favorite spice blends is called "Northwoods" and is made by Penzey's. it's a mix of salt, paprika, black pepper, thyme, rosemary, garlic, and chipotle. Soooo good.
  • 2013goodtimes
    Options
    yum
  • WorkingOnMe3
    Options
    *save*
  • mitchyinge
    Options
    I just added my favourite butternut squash recipe to the database (I think), anyway roast it with beetroot while you cook quinoa in vegetable stock, combine and stir in cubes of feta to serve - yum and so colourful

eta - is really easy to make in a slow cooker too, just add feta at the end
  • carlywifeybrown
    carlywifeybrown Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Butternut squash curry - this has become a delicious regular dinner in my household and I keep adapting it and adding different veggies like cauliflower, spinach etc. http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/775642/indian-butternut-squash-curry

This is also on the database.
  • Holly_penguin
    Holly_penguin Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Saw one online yesterday. Dry roast squash with a bit of EVOO and fresh sage. Use a Naan or flatbread as a pizza type crust. Mixt honey and chipotle with adobo sauce. Smear on bread. Top with roasted squash, good parm or romano cheese and fresh sage minced. Bake through to warm ingredients. Sounds delish and I want to try this weekend with some fun varietal/heirloom squash I bought a farmers market.
  • mapenguinkeeper
    Options
    i roast then add small chunks to my risotto.
  • mitchyinge
    Options
    Saw one online yesterday. Dry roast squash with a bit of EVOO and fresh sage. Use a Naan or flatbread as a pizza type crust. Mixt honey and chipotle with adobo sauce. Smear on bread. Top with roasted squash, good parm or romano cheese and fresh sage minced. Bake through to warm ingredients. Sounds delish and I want to try this weekend with some fun varietal/heirloom squash I bought a farmers market.

oh my mouth is watering now, that sounds much tastier than my bland recipe!
  • gabbygirl78
    gabbygirl78 Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    bump for ideas! i love butternut squash!
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I like to dice it up and roast it in olive or coconut oil with just salt and pepper or some Herbamare on it. If I've got fresh herbs around like rosemary/sage/thyme they work really well...YUM! You can also roast the seeds just like you do pumpkin seeds...also YUM!
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options

Oh I am definately trying this!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Mostly I just peel it, seed it, cube it and boil it, drain it and serve with a nice sprinkling of black pepper - simple is good!

However, these two recipes make very good use of the butternut:

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Breakfast/recipe?id=9492388

http://www.rachaelraymag.com/recipes/rachael-ray-magazine-recipe-search/no-recipe-zone-recipes/Potato-Topped-Beef-Stew
  • Sketr5815
    Sketr5815 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Peel and boil butternut squash till fork tender, drain and add cinnamon (to taste), 2 tablespoons of maple syrup and a pat of butter (if you are feeling fancy). SO GOOD. also reheats well the next day.
  • smithcarola
    smithcarola Posts: 51 Member
    Options

I just made these yesterday. They are so good! I also roasted the seeds (Boil for 10 min and bake at 350 for about 15 min stirring once) OM NOM NOM NOM!!
  • sunnshhiine
    sunnshhiine Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I baked a butternut squash last night! All I did was cut it in quarters, lightly sprinkle with salt and pepper, and even sprinkled some cinnamon on a bit of it. NOMNOMNOM.

Bake it on 350-degress for 1.5-2 hrs (depending on how ripe it is).
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    I love butternut squash soup

You can make a batch (~ 5 cups); so you could have a cup with a sandwich or salad or have a couple cups. It is very filling:

4 Cups of cubed butternut squash (you can buy already cut up)
    3 Cups of water
    1 medium sweet onion
    2 cloves of garlic
    2 tsp sea salt (I use Himalayan)
    2 TBSP Extra Virgin Olive Oil
    2 TBSP Raw Blue Agave syrup (I prefer using only 1 tbsp)
    Optional: I roast a 1-2 red bell peppers to add and a cayenne pepper

Roast your peppers Add water, squash, onions, peppers, garlic & salt
    Bring to boil & simmer on low 10-20 minutes (or until squash is tender)
    Add agave syrup and olive oil
    Puree using an immersion blender, food processor or other blender

Also very good; halve a squash and scoop out the seeds
    Sprinkle with a little salt, pepper, garlic and a little extra virgin olive oil
    Put into a baking dish with a little water in the bottom
    Cover with foil
    bake at 350 until tender
  • havetubawilltravel
    havetubawilltravel Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Okay, I was going to be a real smarta$$ and offer a "butternut squash pizza" recipe" like this:

1. Place squash on counter
    2. Order pizza with your choice of toppings
    3. After eating pizza, recycle box and smash squash and add to backyard compost.
    [Don't forget to log calories burned entering phone number for pizza, going to door, chewing, swallowing, smashing, recycling, and turning compost. Net calories=0.]

Then I Googled "butternut squash pizza" and saw this:

http://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/browse-all-recipes/butternut-squash-pizza-10000001537535/index.html

...and sohelpmegawd, I think I'm actually going to try it.
    Next up, possibly, green eggs and ham, LOL????