When is Breakfast??

Options
I have read, several times, that on average people who eat breakfast weigh less those that don't. When is breakfast? I usually have a cup of coffee and am off to work and don't eat till lunch break. It is, after all my first meal so, is that breakfast or is breakfast eaten right after you wake up? When is breakfast? Please help answer this question or give any feed back at all!

Replies

• martidom
    martidom Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    In my opinion breakfast is definitely right within the first hour after you wake up. Waiting until lunch is way too long in between meals so your metabolism slows down. Even if it is just a yogurt or piece of fruit... have something.
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    I consider breakfast the first of three meals, usually within the first two hours of waking up. I honestly HAVE to eat right when I get up or I'm cranky :grumble: and get a stomach ache.:sick: lol!
    The meaning of breakfast is acctually what it says breaking your fast.
  • skygoddess86
    skygoddess86 Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Suppossed to be within an hour of getting up.
  • jaylu
    jaylu Posts: 158
    Options
    i agree breakfast is breaking the fast of no food all night so eat right away or within the hour. i get up at 5.50 get ready for work and sit down for 15mins to enjoy a good breakfast and be in work for 7. it helps me time wise to measure and set everything out ready to go the nite before so in the morning theres no fuss!
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    I agree within the first hour of waking up It gets your metabolism started
  • aalekova
    aalekova Posts: 10
    Options
    Hi, I see that you and I have similar loss goals and have lost the same amount. May I ask how long it took you to lose 13?
  • 623Hernandez
    623Hernandez Posts: 458
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your input!!! I will now make an effort to have something to eat with in the first hour I am awake. You guys are doing so good!!! What an inspiration you all are!!!
  • 623Hernandez
    623Hernandez Posts: 458
    Options
    Ate brekfast two days in a row! Thanks everyone!!! (not just coffee)
  • sls8486
    sls8486 Posts: 8
    Options
    Thanks for posting this question!!

I actually thought of this same question when I was sitting down to have my coffee.
    I had thought it was the first hour, but wasn't 100% sure.
  • sunnyskys
    sunnyskys Posts: 43
    Options
    WAY to GO.. I find it totally hard to eat breakfast. but for the last 3 days I have eaten I feel better but today I ate almost all my calories in one sitting... Not so good. so I really have to work out when i get home from work. or no super for me. I have just enough now for lunch. if i go lightly. l like a soup. and some fruit.
  • dbrownson
    dbrownson Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Usually within the hour which you wake up.
  • jeanywren
    jeanywren Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I was not a breakfast eater, do not like sweet things first thing in the day. I had a talk with a dietician and she said "who says breakfast has to be cereal". So now I eat what might be considedered a light lunch. As long as you track it, does not matter and is working well for me. I find I am not as hungry later in the day now. A little protein in the meal helps as well.

Great site, I am finding it very good, although never liked tracking meals before. It is helping me to make better choices. Hopefully when I get down a bit more, will be able to do more exercise...........it is coming!
  • KarenECunningham
    KarenECunningham Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    My personal trainer insisted that breakfast should be eaten within 30-60 minutes of getting up. He said it was started up your metabolism for the day. Because of him I became a consistent breakfast eater. Before that it was coffee and maybe toast. Now I eat a light breakfast and I have found that if I don't I feel off all day.
  • Thea_N
    Thea_N Posts: 16
    Options
    I eat breakfast within the hour I wake up. You don't have to eat something big, but it's good to get your metabolism working early. If your body knows your eating every few hours your metabolism should speed up. If your eating is irregular and at random times, your body will store fat and nutrients and save them to digest later on.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I would say within a couple hours of waking up. I've heard it's best to eat no later than an hour and a half after waking up so I try to go by this, unless I'm working out because that revs your metabolism anyway, which is the whole point of eating when you first wake up, so your metabolism gets goign (at least that's always been my understanding of it).

Technically, breakfast is anything that's "breaking" your "fast" from sleeping... but you should be eating within an hour and a half.
  • chandnikhondji
    chandnikhondji Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    For me breakfast is the first meal - no matter if within the first hour or without 5 hours... first is first
  • SassyMissDasha
    Options
    My breakfast is at 9 AM everyday .. I usually wake up 7:30 or 8 ..
  • Jennwith2ns
    Jennwith2ns Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I'm not hungry right when I wake up, so I am purposely getting up an hour earlier than I normally would. So I get up at 5, have tea. At 6 I eat cereal. I also have a small snack at 8 and 10, lunch is at noon. It's easier for me if I know I am eating something every couple hours.