Elipticals - is it worh it?

Options
I am considering buying an Elliptical and I really don't want to invest in something so expensive unless it's going to be worth it. It seems that if I want a decent one with multiple resistant levels & inclines, I'd have to spend around $1,000 or more. :-/ The elliptical was my favorite thing at the gym but one like that is over $2,000! And majority of the reviews I'm reading online all say the same things for each brand - that they are constantly malfunctioning & needing repairs/new parts.

So I am wondering... has anyone else purchased one & what do you think about it? Is your machine decent enough for you to get a good workout? Should I try my luck & buy one & hope it's not defective or nothing is broken when it arrives?

Anyone who has any advice or shares their experience - I REALLY appreciate it!!!

Replies

• AmyMgetsfit
    AmyMgetsfit Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    We put a home gym in our basement since neither one of us likes going to the gym. I have an eliptical that was purchased a good 10 years ago at Costco. I have never had a problem with it and it has been moved twice including 1400 miles. We both use it, but we rotate with the other equipment we have. I love it, it gives a good workout. If I were to get one now, I might look into the Treadclimber.
  • beanerific518
    Options
    Depends on what your goals are.
  • akrnrunner
    akrnrunner Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I purchased mine on craigslist for $50 bucks. It was great for me but I gave it away when I moved. It was a great starter workout for me!
  • SoonerVet
    Options
    I bought a Schwann one for around $450 I believe a few years ago. Works fantastic. It's very quiet and it doesn't wake up my husband who is sleeping 5 feet away. It has levels up to 20.
    What I like best is the "calorie count" program and I give it the number of calories I want to burn and it stops when I'm done (and it's actually very close to my heart rate monitor... usually about 10 calories under actually).

I found it on Amazon and we did have to assemble it, but again, it works great and this is even after having to take it apart and move it to a new home.

and I use it all the time. especially if I've had a bad snacking day and it's late and I don't want to go to the gym, I hop on, turn on the TV or my music, and burn off what I need to if not more
  • lrbassmom
    Options
    I had an elliptical, still do actually... it's in the attic. I hated it. I felt like I was on a hamster wheel. The only kinds of machines I can stand are the ones you sit on... Recumbant bikes, recumbant elliptical. Years ago I lost a butt load of weight have I had my now 13 year old by doing 45 minutes a day on my recumbant bike. I had a show I really really liked, La Femme Nikita (the first series, not the one they have now). I could not watch the show UNLESS I was on that bike pedaling my *kitten* off with the tension full on. If it was a particularly good show with a cliffhanger, I'd do two shows in one day. It wasn't unusal to burn off 1000 calories. And yes, it was worth every penny.

I had heard that ellipticals were really good at burning calories, so I bought one... It was okay but I didn't get near the calorie burn that I did with the recumbant bike.

Basically, my brain gets really really bored with repetitive activity. Keep the brain engaged via a book or really good tv, and it will bring the body along for the ride. Most times I don't really notice that I'm sweating and breathing hard if I'm really particularly engaged in what I'm reading or watching.

Long and short of it, make sure you aren't going to get bored with it because otherwise it will become a 2nd closet like it does for the majority of folks that have one.

My suggestion is that unless you can't afford it, or the gym is too far away and you really don't think you'll go, don't buy one. Or at the very least, join a gym for a month. That way they'll have a huge variety of machines that you can try out for an extended period. You'll find out whether you really really hate it or really really like it.
  • wikitbikit
    wikitbikit Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I, too, got one from craigslist. It's a NordicTrack, but one that was only about $500 new. It tortures me just fine, but to be fair, I can only use it for a few minutes at a time. I would definitely look through your local used listings before buying a really pricy one new. If you do go for a new one, get it from a place with a good service record.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Spend $10 a month for a few months at a gym like Planet Fitness or similar and try out the machines for a while before making any major purchases like that. You would be amazed at how your feelings change towards a machine after 2 or 3 months of regular use.
  • kabertrand63
    kabertrand63 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my Smooth Elliptical! It's just as it says, smooth, easy to put together and SO quiet.
  • angel_north
    angel_north Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I have both Eliptical and TreadMill w/ski poles and incline. I use both depending on my chance to workout. They both are great and either Costco's or Sear's have great ones. I bring up Sear's due to the have great sales right now on the NordicTracks.... The NordicTrack A.C.T. Elliptical Trainer is a nice space saver and wish it was out when I got my Nordic since the one I have is a space hog in the office ,bonus is that it is on sale 500.00 off.
  • staplebug
    Options
    I love the Cybex Arc trainer, but those can cost up to $4,000. So I just got a discounted membership to Planet Fitness. $8 a month is way cheaper than trying to pay off a Cybex, but only because I'm picky. If you can find a good one that will eventually pay itself off (versus a gym membership for the time frame the elliptical will last), you should go for it. It would be nice to have one at home...but again, I'm really picky.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Whether it's worth it or not is really a personal preference kind of thing...for me, it would not be worth it...but I despise cardio machines and only use them when the weather forces me indoors. I also prefer weight training, so a nice power rack at home would be awesome and well worth the money for me. The cardio I do is pretty basic and I pretty much do it for general heart health, and that's about it. I can find numerous ways to accomplish that without investing in a $2K machine. Again...it's really just a personal thing.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    I don't think its worth it.. I have had more results with workout videos, treadmills and heavy lifting than I ever did just using the Elliptical alone.
  • kabertrand63
    kabertrand63 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Not me. My HRM tells me so. I go between treadmill and elliptical cuz I get bored easily.
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I love my Sole E35. It was one of the few home machines i found that would support my starting weight. Very sturdy, smooth and quiet. Before purchasing it, I bought and returned 2 treadmills and 1 other ellptical.
  • TssCnn
    TssCnn Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Someone above said try a gym for a few months, I agree with this. You can even get a trial/guest pass for about a week. Go everyday during that time and try different machines. I was an elliptical junkie UNTIL i actually joined the gym. I was using the elliptical everyday. Right in front of the row of ellipticals was a new machine I have never seen before. I watched many people use it and finally tried it myself. I have traded my love for the elliptical for the Arc Trainer.

Before making any huge purchase like this, try things out. Be sure its the one you want. Also inquire at gyms if they will be getting rid of/replacing any equipment soon. Can usually get a decent price that way as well.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Jump rope. Way cheaper, way more effective cardio workout.
  • lovelyMYlovely
    lovelyMYlovely Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I purchased mine on craigslist for $50 bucks. It was great for me but I gave it away when I moved. It was a great starter workout for me!
    im also getting mine for cheap.. and thanks for letting me know its a great starter

ellipitical is a good investment but i dont think a 1000-2000 one is worth it at all... I found nice new ones for less than 500! lol...
  • stephross88
    stephross88 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    My elliptical has helped me lose one hundred pounds in less than a yeah, so yes, I would say it is worth it!
  • lorgrayson
    lorgrayson Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I bought this model in July of 2007. I used it everyday for a year and lost 40lbs through exercise alone. Went of my blood pressure pills. Then I went back to school and stopped doing it. Gained all the weight back. Back on medication (That's why i am here) I still havent' gotten into the groove of it again, but I am glad I have it. It still works great. My husband is a runner and uses it during bad weather. I have bought some workout DVD's to break it up some.

http://www.fitness-equipment-source.com/elliptical-reviews/horizon-elliptical-e95.htm#.USA9x2ee4wA

Just a note - I am 5' 3" tall so this stride is fine for me but my husband is 5' 9" and he thinks it is too short of stride for him, so if you are tall, this one is not for you.
  • ironmonkeystyle
    ironmonkeystyle Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    There are a ton of comparisons online that go through pros and cons of various home equipment.
    See, e.g.: http://www.livestrong.com/article/371867-the-best-cardio-machine-to-lose-weight/?utm_source=livestrong_opar&utm_medium=1