Vegetarians. ...has working out made you want to eat meat?

Options
So, I've been a vegetarian for over a decade. I started eating fish about a year ago, so I guess I'm a pescatarian now, but I started working out pretty hardcore about a month ago,and since then, man have I been craving meat. I ran my first 5K today, and now I'm relaxing on my couch, and all I can think about is hot dogs. WTF is going on? Has anyone else had this issue? Sorry, if it sounds weird, I just wanted to know if anyone else has dealt with this. If so, did these urges ever go away? Do you know what's behind it? I've always been sort of repulsed by meat, so this is totally new and bizarre for me.

Replies

• benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Do you know what they put in hot dogs?
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    No, it hasn't. Your diary isn't open but I'm going to guess you probably need more protein and more salt.
  • missebees
    missebees Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I haven't experienced this. I'm a vegetarian/vegan and even after working out I haven't felt the need for meat.
    I think it's your body telling you that you need protein, so I suggest eating some protein enriched foods (not meat) that has the right nutrients that you need.
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I eat fish but have not eaten meat for 20 years. I work out 6 days a week, 4 days including strength training, and I have not had any meat cravings. I do make sure I get plenty of protein (shakes, greek yogurt and fish), so that might be why.
  • RingSize8
    RingSize8 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips. ...trying to add more protein in my diet already, so I guess I'll just try harder!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    In a way, yes. When I was a vegetarian working out with the hubby ended up making me want to eat meat. Because I was pregnant. Wanted to lick the rocks at Claim Jumper too. It's called pica. It's an iron deficiency in preggers.

Unsure how this may relate to your original question but just post it FYI so you can decide if it's germane.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    NOPE!
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Yes, definitely like the protein when I lift (which I do faithfully).
    Maybe get yourself a good quality greek yogurt and start with that.
    I use plain nonfat (trader joe's) and sweeten with stevia extract.
    Also could try a good whey protein?
    If you want a hot dog, there are good ones from grass-fed beef and no preservatives....I get mine at trader joes as well.
    Yes on the protein. And also I find getting a good dose of daily veggies really hits the spot, as well as lovely fats from olive oil, avo, etc. Gotta have my cheese.
    Meats I eat are beef roast and roasted chicken, and salmon and tuna.
    I eat some meat, but lean strongly toward vegetarianism.
  • huuxue
    huuxue Posts: 23
    Options
    It's your body telling you need more protein!
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I would agree with the comments about possible anemia (iron deficiency) and needing more protein in your diet.

Personally I'm an omnivore who eats chicken and fish regularly, but generally little in red meats. While losing weight, lifting and running regularly last summer I became somewhat anemic. I craved protein, but the greek yogurt and chicken just were not filling that craving despite the amount of protein I was eating. I ate a steak one day and the cravings went away for a few days and my energy jumped up. Tried it again a week later and the same thing happened. While I ate plenty of broccoli and spinach once in a while some beets, the body just doesn't absorb iron from plant life the way it does from meat. My body was screaming at me that I needed more iron in my diet, and thankfully I listened.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    Protein, fat, salt.
  • peasantsong
    peasantsong Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Not at all. It did make me crave more high-protein food sources though. Once I made an effort to get at least 100g of protein a day, I found that my cravings for most things went away. I would never want to eat meat though. I would if I had to, but the idea of eating meat is really unappealing to me after being vegetarian for half my life.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I would agree with the comments about possible anemia (iron deficiency) and needing more protein in your diet.

Personally I'm an omnivore who eats chicken and fish regularly, but generally little in red meats. While losing weight, lifting and running regularly last summer I became somewhat anemic. I craved protein, but the greek yogurt and chicken just were not filling that craving despite the amount of protein I was eating. I ate a steak one day and the cravings went away for a few days and my energy jumped up. Tried it again a week later and the same thing happened. While I ate plenty of broccoli and spinach once in a while some beets, the body just doesn't absorb iron from plant life the way it does from meat. My body was screaming at me that I needed more iron in my diet, and thankfully I listened.

That's a good point about plant sources of iron. If it's a concern, you should do some research about heme vs. non-heme iron sources and potential absorption interactions (like, dairy is a big one).
  • TodayYesterday
    TodayYesterday Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian for 29 years. And I work out. And no, it doesn't make me crave meat.
  • Mcmilligen
    Mcmilligen Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Nope! Honestly, I just crave things like oatmeal and eggs. Though I'm trying to reduce my intake of eggs, so I just make sure to watch my protein intake on days I do heavier work outs. Usually my perfect post workout meal is oatmeal loaded with protein powder, nuts and a banana. Either that, or a tofu scramble. Perhaps eating a small snack to get your energy up before you get your workout in would help you with those post wok-out cravings as well! Working out hungry is never fun.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Maybe you're craving more calories from working out? You may need more to sustain your new workouts. Try eating more protein and iron containing foods and see if that helps.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    I went vegetarian at 7. TBH I have no memory of what meat tastes like so I don't think it would be possible to crave it. I can tell you I still find meat to be quite stinky and since smell affects taste this would lead me to believe I still wouldn't want it.
  • RingSize8
    RingSize8 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I just ate some Greek yogurt, which I've been eating a lot of lately. ...also snacking on string cheese, trying to eat more fish, etc. Still have major meat cravings, and to be honest, I don't even remember what meat tastes like anymore. It's weird, but it seems like a few other people have had this happen too. I will look into the Iron deficiency stuff, so thanks for the heads up on that!
  • azalea617
    azalea617 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    No, because it grosses me out too much now after 4 years and also I can't stand the idea of eating somebody who died just for that purpose...seems such a waste of life. I make sure I have a protein shake BEFORE the gym and then have a nice lunch after (I usually work out in the morning) and it keeps my protein up and from wanting anything like that afterwards.

On the very, very rare occasion I do crave meat (but it's never been when working out), I know I just need to grab some protein. I think more about what nutrients I am craving rather than the food.
  • jackiecamarena
    jackiecamarena Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I have been vegetarian for 11 years. For the first couple of weeks that I was working out, I felt the same thing. I wanted seafood. Really bad. I have never even eaten seafood, so I didn't even know what it is I was craving.

I agree with everyone else here. Up the protein.
    It helped me.