sodium

Options
Just wanted to say I hate sodium... I go over every darn day... calories good but sodium is high..... ok, I am thru venting....

Replies

• CaddieMay
    CaddieMay Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    word
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    i dont worry about sodium too much. everyone says i should, but at my dr appt last week my blood pressure was 106/60 (im normally 110/70) and my sodium was well over 2500mg/day all week. i actually averaged about 3400 a day
  • Raybug0903
    Raybug0903 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    ME TOO! I totally forgot about all that sodium in the movie theater popcorn and diet coke I had today...oops...!
  • Mighty_Rabite
    Mighty_Rabite Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    I agree, sodium is the hardest thing to cut back on I think, especially if you try to go low carb AND high protein! It's do-able, but very difficult.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Sodium is pretty much irrelevant. For one, it's a necessary mineral, you'll die without it, and for another, your body does an exceptional job of regulating it. Unless you have a medical reason for limiting it (if you have hypertension,) then eat as much as you want. It does not cause any health problems on its own.
  • Nana_Booboo
    Nana_Booboo Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Just be sure to drink, drink, drink!!
  • lilmissbamaqueen
    Options
    Sodium is pretty much irrelevant. For one, it's a necessary mineral, you'll die without it, and for another, your body does an exceptional job of regulating it. Unless you have a medical reason for limiting it (if you have hypertension,) then eat as much as you want. It does not cause any health problems on its own.

Really? Cause I'm over every day... by like 1,000mg or more, and it's driving me nuts. I wonder if it's the reason I'm yo-yo'ing so much.
  • chuckles9189
    chuckles9189 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    just drink more water. you'll be fine.
  • huuxue
    huuxue Posts: 23
    Options
    chug water, if I've had something with a lot of sodium I'll chug 1-2 bottles of water (4 cups total). Flush it out, flush it out -chants-....
  • BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Now try eating over 3,000 calories a day and keeping your sodium low. Eat less processed food, you will have to spend more time in the kitchen but it is the only way. On that note don't stress it unless you have a medical reason to keep your sodium very low, it has not effected weight loss for me at all. I also drink about about 16-20 cups of water on my workout days.
  • pepeleo
    pepeleo Posts: 49 Member
    Options

I does cause health problems on its own. Such as: "Hypertension/high blood pressure, heart disease and kidney failure are some of the long-term effects that can result from long-term, high-sodium intake. In the body, sodium is processed by the kidneys. However, when a person eats too much sodium, the kidneys cannot process all of it. The excess sodium ends up in the bloodstream. Because the mineral retains water, the volume of blood in the body increases. As a result, the circulatory system has to work harder to pump the blood. Over time, this added strain on the system can result in heart disease and kidney failure."
  • Lunatic379
    Options
    I wouldn't get too concerned with it, unless you have a medical condition. Exercising and drinking lots of fluids will help a ton.
  • Momzilla2five
    Momzilla2five Posts: 13 Member
    Options

AGREED!!!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Just be sure to drink, drink, drink!!

Yes...lots of vodka
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

Really? Cause I'm over every day... by like 1,000mg or more, and it's driving me nuts. I wonder if it's the reason I'm yo-yo'ing so much.

The only weight you gain from sodium is water weight...you don't gain fat weight from eating sodium. Sodium is not the reason you yo-yo