I need ideas for energy boosts

Options
Hi everyone.

Does anyone have any quick energy boosts? Or even slower energy boosts?

I can"t do those energy drinks, caffeine makes me calm and mellow.
I have chronic fatigue syndrome. Sometimes a walk energizes me, sometimes every little thing just totally zaps every drop of life out of me.
Like now. I had a week long migraine and now seem in a fatigue rut. I just can,t seem to pull out of it. (Stress, migraines, illness all trigger the chronic fatigue. I just want to bounce back. Even a really slow bounce. Then I get all sad and depressed and it becomes a vicious cycle)

So, any ideas? A spoon of molasses every morning? Or eating chocolate cake out of the cat's food dish?

Or do I just have to sleep for a month until vitality returns?

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    A high fatdiet gives me tons of smooth even energy.
  • Health_Gal
    Health_Gal Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Chia Seeds? You can mix them in to all kinds of food.

http://www.dailymile.com/forums/nutrition/topics/2642-chia-seeds
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Chia Seeds? You can mix them in to all kinds of food.

http://www.dailymile.com/forums/nutrition/topics/2642-chia-seeds

I was adding them to my smoothies or oats, daily. But didn"t notice an energy difference. But I wasn't ooking for an energy difference. That was in California and I had a lot less illness and. Ingrained there (less fatigue problems)
    Maybe I should dig them back out of the pantry
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I would HIGHLY recommend going and getting some bloodwork done to check your B12, magnesium, iron and Vitamin D levels. All of them are available to supplement OTC and you can try them to see if it helps (but remember, vitamin deficiencies can take like 6 weeks to come back to normal) BUT it's really much better if you get the bloodwork done before experimenting with supplements, because once you start you will get artificially elevated results if you decide to test it later.

If you're deficient in any of those, you could easily b e experiencing the symptoms you describe. I think figuring out the problem is a much better solution than any band-aid energy supplements that can mask the problem for a short time.
  • Lunatic379
    Options
    Are you talking about energy for exercise, or just energy for your day?

If you're looking for energy for exercise try BCAA's. They work great for me. No caffeine.

If you're talking about energy for your day, then you need to mix up your diet like the others suggested.
  • 3foldchord
    Options
    Just had my iron checked. It was super low due to a surgery last year, but the checked two months ago and it is fine. I still have my iron piles and if my daily food log has me at less than 50% intake an iron pill, just to help.
    I take Vit D and a calcium/magnesium supplement. But not as consistently as I should. Maybe I should get those checked too and the B12. Thanks.
  • 3foldchord
    Options

If you're looking for energy for exercise try BCAA's. They work great for me. No caffeine.
    Thanks!
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Exercise? Protein?
  • Lunatic379
    Options
    Just had my iron checked. It was super low due to a surgery last year, but the checked two months ago and it is fine. I still have my iron piles and if my daily food log has me at less than 50% intake an iron pill, just to help.
    I take Vit D and a calcium/magnesium supplement. But not as consistently as I should. Maybe I should get those checked too and the B12. Thanks.
    Solve all these problems at once, and get multi-vitamin for women. Get a good one from a nutrition store, not walmart.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I'm interested to see the replies. For my CFS I haven't found anything that helps except a low-stress environment and a lot of sleep. I took the Vitamin D supplements for awhile but they never made any difference for me.
  • 3foldchord
    Options
    Exercise? Protein?

I get about 125 grams daily. That should really be enough, I hope.

And not only energy to be able to finish a simple yoga workout, but energy to do laundry and make dinner would be nice.
  • MoreBean13
    Options
    Solve all these problems at once, and get multi-vitamin for women. Get a good one from a nutrition store, not walmart.

I disagree. You don't need to spend more money for basic supplements, and the dosage should be tailored to your needs. A women's multi *might* be the answer, but it might not. For example, I don't absorb B12 well through my digestive system, so I have to take it sublingually. The most expensive women's multi at a nutrition store wouldn't solve that.
  • Lunatic379
    Options
    Never said it would work for everyone, but almost everything on her list are things she can get from one vitamin. Doesn't make sense to individually buy them and pay more, and eat more pills per day. I can't imagine how anyone would think that makes sense.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

I disagree. You don't need to spend more money for basic supplements, and the dosage should be tailored to your needs. A women's multi *might* be the answer, but it might not. For example, I don't absorb B12 well through my digestive system, so I have to take it sublingually. The most expensive women's multi at a nutrition store wouldn't solve that.

I agree with Morebean. OP has chronic fatigue and and we don't know if she is on any other meds for this or the surgery she had the past year. OP - Maybe talk to your doctor and see if there is anything he/she would recommend.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I would HIGHLY recommend going and getting some bloodwork done to check your B12, magnesium, iron and Vitamin D levels. All of them are available to supplement OTC and you can try them to see if it helps (but remember, vitamin deficiencies can take like 6 weeks to come back to normal) BUT it's really much better if you get the bloodwork done before experimenting with supplements, because once you start you will get artificially elevated results if you decide to test it later.

If you're deficient in any of those, you could easily b e experiencing the symptoms you describe. I think figuring out the problem is a much better solution than any band-aid energy supplements that can mask the problem for a short time.

This. A friend of mine had the same problem and it was a B12 problem.
  • MoreBean13
    Options
    Never said it would work for everyone, but almost everything on her list are things she can get from one vitamin. Doesn't make sense to individually buy them and pay more, and eat more pills per day. I can't imagine how anyone would think that makes sense.

You're arguing price efficiency after telling her to buy her vitamin "from a nutrition store, not walmart." ????
    Right.

/smh
  • 3foldchord
    Options

I take actually take a multi vitamin along with the Vit D and Calc/mag. I am hoping the extra calcium /mag will help the migraines (have read it might help) and the extra Vit D will help with mood (been having problems since the surgery with sad)

But, like I said. I am not consistent with taking them daily.

See, I get a migraine and can't get out of bed for a week and during that time I don't take the vitamins, then the chronic fatigue syndrome hits super hard. With the lack of vitamins, and it takes me forever to crawl out of the dark hole. I was hoping for a quick boost to get me over the gap it takes to get back on track.

It's not about masking the problem with a quick fix. I know the problem(s) and know it will take some time to get back to almost normally functioning energy, that just how the virus and syndrome are.
    I just wondered if there was a quick little bandaid to help me get through till my body gets back on track.
  • Lunatic379
    Options

No she should spend her money on more blood tests....LOL You make no sense. The only thing I suggested are BCAA"s which will help with energy before, during, and after workout, and a multi-vitamin. Both have been approved by my doctor, and I'm currently taking medication for epilepsy.

Lack of energy could be from a number of things. Depression, anxiety, etc. Should she get tests for those as well? She asked for something that would give her some energy. Do you work for hospital or doctors office, is that why you're suggesting all these tests?
  • Lunatic379
    Options

I take actually take a multi vitamin along with the Vit D and Calc/mag. I am hoping the extra calcium /mag will help the migraines (have read it might help) and the extra Vit D will help with mood (been having problems since the surgery with sad)

But, like I said. I am not consistent with taking them daily.

See, I get a migraine and can't get out of bed for a week and during that time I don't take the vitamins, then the chronic fatigue syndrome hits super hard. With the lack of vitamins, and it takes me forever to crawl out of the dark hole.mI was hoping for a quick boost to get me over the gap it takes to get back on track.
    Sounds like your multivitamins aren't close enough to your bed! Try first thing in morning when you wake up. I think you need to be consistent with them though, otherwise your levels are just bouncing all over the place. Which could also be a problem.
  • Lunatic379
    Options

You're arguing price efficiency after telling her to buy her vitamin "from a nutrition store, not walmart." ????
    Right.

/smh
    Well a 15$ bottle of multi would be cheaper than the 12 different ones you suggested.