Eating healthy in hotels

Options
I am going to two different work conventions in the next month, both at hotels that do NOT have mini-fridge/microwaves in the room. There WILL be a coffee pot that can make hot water, however. I have been on the right track recently in losing weight and eating right, and I do not want these two trips to make me slip. I'd prefer to make as much as I can for each meal and not eat out at restaurants, both for issues of calories AND $...my work does not reimburse for meals. I will of course be taking plenty of snack foods, like almonds, fruit, etc, but I'm more worried about meals.

The only thing I can think of that will not require cooking or refrigeration are instant oats that just require hot water, but that's just for breakfast. What else could I take and eat on these trips? Would appreciate any ideas or tips!

Replies

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter?

Beef jerky is good - just drink lots of water to offset the sodium.

Maybe you can look on Groupon for the cities you are going to and see if you can find some deals for dinner?
  • TimeForMe99
    Options
    Most hotels have mini-fridges for the asking, first come first serve. If all else fails grab an extra yogurt and a HB egg from the breakfast table and put them in the ice bucket. I wouldn't rely on the coffee pot for hot water, unless you like coffee flavored oatmeal! Unless the hotel is in a totally out of the way place there will be a bodega or small grocery within walking distance. A deli is a good option as well. Consider having stir fried chicken with veggies and brown rice delivered. Or call room service; generally they will make anything you ask whenever you want it. Scrambled eggs with fruit is a great dinner.

IMO - meal time is a big part of conferences. Check the nutritional information for the closest restaurants, or at least scan the menu so you know what the options are. Then hit the on-site gym to work off any excess calories and watch out for alcohol.

I never have any trouble when traveling, it's being at home when I pack on the pounds!
  • christyrivers
    Options
    Thanks for the replies! On one of the conventions, I'm taking about 50 high school students, so my ability to go to any restaurant of my choosing may be limited. The hotel definitely has restaurant and room service options, and eggs should be easy to come by. I'm going to call today to see if I can snag a mini-fridge. If I could get one of those, I'd be golden!
  • christyrivers
    Options
    Bumping to get more ideas...

Here's the list I have so far. If anyone can think of anything else I could take (preferably shelf-stable or just-add-water items), please help me add to the list!

Applesauce
    Almonds
    Peanut or almond butter (PB2, to-go packets)
    Bread/wraps/English muffins for PB sandwiches
    Bananas, apples
    Oatmeal
    Soup
    Granola bars
    Single-serve, shelf-stable almond milks
    Crackers or pretzels (100 calorie packs)

I have requested a mini-fridge but was told that they are on a first-come-first-serve basis, so I'm going into this thinking I will not have access to one. If I do, great, and I will make a store run the night I get there!
  • Moosycakes
    Moosycakes Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Miso soup! So yummy :)
  • dennism2013
    Options
    Hey! First post here...

Sorry this isn't a food tip, it's more of a general travel tip. Resistance bands. They're light and don't take up too much space in the bag. I'm not really a gym guy so this gives me a convenient way to burn off some of the junk I inevitably eat when traveling.

You can pack food and still get through security. I'm assuming that you're flying. I packed a few oranges in my carry-on bag on my last trip.
  • christyrivers
    Options
    Not flying, but great idea on the resistance band! I have a few of those I can take with me.
  • ripemango
    ripemango Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    i personally like to bring homemade granola and/or granola bars. homemade granola plus milk or soymilk is your very own cereal that is actually filling. hard boiled eggs last a week if kept refrigerated.
    i assume you will have access to some food places: convenience store, grocery store, etc. If you drive to the hotel bring a little mini cooler with you.
    every hotel has ice: fill up the sink w ice and cover it with a towel. the ice bucket itself works good too. put a single size milk, yogurt, lunch meat, string cheese, hard boiled eggs, carrot sticks, whatever and it will stay very cold for 12 hrs. replace the ice in the sink as needed. it's classy as all hell but quite effective. pair the lunch meat w wheat bread for a sandwich, carrot sticks and fruit and there is your lunch.

works great for keeping beer cold in a hotel room too, but i somehow doubt you're looking for that kind of advice :p
  • TimeForMe99
    Options
    works great for keeping beer cold in a hotel room too, but i somehow doubt you're looking for that kind of advice :p

Did you catch the part about 50 high school students going along on the trip? Beer is definitely a good idea!
  • RobinV_Seattle
    RobinV_Seattle Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Are you driving? What about taking a smallish cooler? Or, you could just get an inexpensive thermal lunch carrier - or two - and change out the ice as needed to keep stuff cold.

I worked in catering/convention services at a few hotels - they are getting better about offering healthier choices for breaks and meals. You can always try asking for a special meal - say it's a medical condition if you have to. It's relatively easy for most kitchens to do grilled fish or chicken with steamed veggies.
  • christyrivers
    Options
    Are you driving? What about taking a smallish cooler? Or, you could just get an inexpensive thermal lunch carrier - or two - and change out the ice as needed to keep stuff cold.

I worked in catering/convention services at a few hotels - they are getting better about offering healthier choices for breaks and meals. You can always try asking for a special meal - say it's a medical condition if you have to. It's relatively easy for most kitchens to do grilled fish or chicken with steamed veggies.

Yes, I'm driving, and I should have room for a small cooler. I think this hotel will have options for food. It is connected to a pretty large convention center, and there are several restaurants/cafes in the center. I'm going to take as much food as I can to make on my own, but you're right that I should be able to supplement that with hotel food if needed. Thanks for the ideas!
  • divinefidelity
    divinefidelity Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Something to think about...

You can actually heat up soup and stuff with hot water from the coffee pot. Bring a large Tupperware container, and a smaller one that a can of soup would fit in. Put the soup in the smaller container, close the lid, and put it inside the larger container. Then fill the larger container with hot water from the coffee pot...and put the lid on. Open it up and stir the soup occasionally...but the hot water should heat it up just fine. It might take longer then it would take in a microwave, but in a hotel you've got to work with what you have.

You can do this for just about anything though...not just soup. Canned veggies can be heated this way...etc.

I've stayed in a lot of hotels for different conventions. This is one of my go-to methods for cooking when there is no microwave!

:)
  • SeahorseDolphin
    Options
    Something to think about...

You can actually heat up soup and stuff with hot water from the coffee pot. Bring a large Tupperware container, and a smaller one that a can of soup would fit in. Put the soup in the smaller container, close the lid, and put it inside the larger container. Then fill the larger container with hot water from the coffee pot...and put the lid on. Open it up and stir the soup occasionally...but the hot water should heat it up just fine. It might take longer then it would take in a microwave, but in a hotel you've got to work with what you have.

You can do this for just about anything though...not just soup. Canned veggies can be heated this way...etc.

I've stayed in a lot of hotels for different conventions. This is one of my go-to methods for cooking when there is no microwave!

:)

I love this advice, I need to remember that trick!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    On top of the things you have listed - I have made protein muffins to take with me. Tuna is another option (just by the ones with the top you can pull off or bring a can opener). and protein powder.
    I also brought a cooler and put cut up chicken breast in little baggies. I don't mind eating it cold.
    I hit up local grocery stores and see if they have pre made salads, cut up fruit and veggie trays and stuff.

If you still can't get a microwave, you can always take a page out of my co-workers book. I shared a room with her on one trip She made a tray of nachos on the round plastic tray the ice bucket and glasses were on by putting tomtits and pre-shredded cheese and salsa, then took it downstairs to the staff who heated it up for her. Obviously I am not recommending using questionable items or eating nachos, but the staff was more than happy to heat it up for her in their microwave. Most staff rooms or kitchens will have one.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Oh and if you can heat things up, I often buy the Uncle Ben's pouch. They have a brown rice one with no additives that cooks in 1.5 minutes. Its usually about 2 servings for me.
  • christyrivers
    Options

I love this idea! Definitely will be using this trick if I don't end up getting a microwave. Thanks!
  • christyrivers
    Options
    Oh and if you can heat things up, I often buy the Uncle Ben's pouch. They have a brown rice one with no additives that cooks in 1.5 minutes. Its usually about 2 servings for me.

Good idea. I have used those pouches before and really like them. Minute rice also makes microwaveable pilafs...had forgotten about those options.

And thanks for the idea about getting the staff to heat up foods. I've already had the idea that if I really need to, I'll just sweet-talk the staff into letting me borrow a microwave. With a hotel this size, I know they will have options.