How do YOU get rid of "that 2:30pm feeling"???

Options

Replies

• Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    I eat a small snack - 15 almonds, or some baby carrots and cottage cheese make a cup of green or peppermint tea - and then go for a brisk 10 minute walk around the block....

Get back to my desk and I have energy to go till I can go home - and to the gym!!
  • vlmay1955
    vlmay1955 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    This was really hard when I worked in an office. Especially if I had a big business lunch. But now that I'm retired and home, I plan my days that I am forced to be indoors and relatively sedentary around regular cycles of sitting vs activity. If you can get up and move around on a regular basis, even if it's just to fold some laundry, wash dishes, clean something or whatever, it helps prevent that afternoon slump period. Keeping moving as much as possible is the best thing you can do. If I feel like I want to eat something I will chew gum or drink a cup of hot tea or a zero calorie sports drink.
  • Lalouse
    Lalouse Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I snack! Apples, tea, peanut butter and carrots, yogurt, luna bar, whatever you like!!
  • TheNewBlake
    TheNewBlake Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    OMG! i know this feeling...
    snacking helps me get through it.
    like fruits and nuts.. nuts are high in calorie so i make sure i dont eat to much
    and a nice glass of tea
  • sb277
    sb277 Posts: 6
    Options
    Plan a snack, have an apple and a small handful of almond each afternoon. This should provide a pick me up.
  • zrmac804
    zrmac804 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Wake up @ 3pm :happy:

Haha I would SO do that if I could! I'm a hardcore night owl!
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    Really??? No one has suggested 5 hour energy yet :laugh:
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Coffee.
  • droneofvelvet
    droneofvelvet Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    When I didn't have a job I would take a nap. Now if it really bugs me I have a snack and some coffee or tea. Or some cold water.
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    I eat every three to four hours so 3-4 is greek yogrut/protein bar time. THat shot of protein then gets me to dinner.
  • jebreject
    jebreject Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    This used to be me, and sometimes it still is. But after reducing carb intake I haven't felt as sluggish in the afternoons! I do try to eat 4 meals a day, so two of those are usually at work with one being between 2 and 3 now. It seems to have helped tremendously. I do still love my afternoon naps though!

Yeah, I was going to suggest reducing your carb intake. A lot of people feel that they have much more energy since cutting back on carbs, particularly gluten and all refined grains.
  • saldelmar
    saldelmar Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean! I say listen to your body. I am a huge snacker, so mid-afternoon I try to do a healthy, sort of filling snack (low-fat cheese and wheat crackers, handful of almonds, yogurt, high-fiber granola bar, or apple with a bit of peanut butter, hummus and carrots, etc. works for me) Drink water or tea too, and maybe a brisk walk? Try a few different tricks to see what works best for you. :)
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I'm fortunate to have a company gym on the premises and late afternoon is my usual workout time. That wakes me up and it's not too long after that that I go home. And yes, coffee helps, too!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    You need glucose. You only have so much brain power at any one time before it needs a recharge. A small dose of glucose gets the brain going again. It's called "decision fatigue." Basically every time you make a decision, it drains your brain of decision making ability, until you run out. At that point, you feel tired and cranky, especially when faced with MORE decisions. Interestingly enough, researchers have found that a quick shot of glucose tends to reawaken the decision making area of the brain, so have a piece of fruit or a shot of juice. :drinker:
  • laccy40
    laccy40 Posts: 136
    Options
    You need glucose. You only have so much brain power at any one time before it needs a recharge. A small dose of glucose gets the brain going again. It's called "decision fatigue." Basically every time you make a decision, it drains your brain of decision making ability, until you run out. At that point, you feel tired and cranky, especially when faced with MORE decisions. Interestingly enough, researchers have found that a quick shot of glucose tends to reawaken the decision making area of the brain, so have a piece of fruit or a shot of juice. :drinker:
    This is interesting, I'm more used to hearing about sugar highs and energy slumps. It's 2.20pm in England right now and I am ready for a nap! I have been studying since lunch time and nothing else is going in - Hence why I am on MFP!
  • tubbyelmo
    tubbyelmo Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I get up from my desk every lunch break and go for a walk - 3 miles round the outskirts of the village and then back to my desk. I go in all weathers, I just wrap up and go, the afternoons feel great after all the fresh air, no more chocolate/coffee craving at 3pm!!
  • shellymcshell
    shellymcshell Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Yeah. 3PM = Coffee o'Clock.

Sometimes tea, often a light snack. And getting up from my desk to chat with my co-workers for a bit.
  • Hippie_Soul
    Hippie_Soul Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    This used to be me, and sometimes it still is. But after reducing carb intake I haven't felt as sluggish in the afternoons! I do try to eat 4 meals a day, so two of those are usually at work with one being between 2 and 3 now. It seems to have helped tremendously. I do still love my afternoon naps though!

Yeah, I was going to suggest reducing your carb intake. A lot of people feel that they have much more energy since cutting back on carbs, particularly gluten and all refined grains.

I definitely DO need to cut some unnecessary carbs out on a daily! I will try this and see if my energy improves!
  • Hippie_Soul
    Hippie_Soul Posts: 190 Member
    Options

THIS!!!! I am not working at the moment - although I am a caretaker for family members - so I have a little more flexibility for choices. I have been juicing in the mornings, but why not the afternoon?! Nice fruity wake-up drink! Not really glucose, but sweet just the same!
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    I take a nap. It used to piss my bosses off, then I told them 'don't like it? fire me.' May not be the best idea for everyone though.

LOL!

I used to get that way but try too. Great advice given so far. I find 1/4 cup of dry roasted almonds (no extra oil) gives me an extra energy boost.