Dinner under 300 cals (vegetarian)

Options
I need dinner's under 300 calories that is both healthy and filling

ps. i has to be vegetarian!

Replies

• EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    pretty sure you could make a vegetable indian or thai curry for under 300 cals.
  • babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    mmmm curry
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    Ratatouille
  • MamaWeil2018
    MamaWeil2018 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    the Happy Herbivore cookbooks have a ton of recipes under 300 cals, and they're all vegetarian/many vegan/gluten-free. Some awesome ideas
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    i have a handful, some are a few over 300 but not by much. i can post them once i dig them out
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    This is what I had tonight:

I cup of broccoli
    3 oz of extra firm tofu
    Pam Olive oil spray
    1/2 tablespoon reduced sodium soy sauce

I cut up the broccoli and sliced the tofu. I sprayed it with pam olive oil spray and roasted it at 375 for about 25 minutes. I splashed on some soy sauce at the end.

YUMMY! Well under 300 calories and filling. I would of added some hot pepper flakes but I'm out!
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Oh and since the broccoli/tofu is so far under 300 you could end it with some fat free greek yogurt and slightly thawed frozen blueberries!
  • dakotawitch
    dakotawitch Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Pretty much all the recipes on my vegetarian blog are under 300 calories per serving: http://freerangetofu.wordpress.com

I'm making Dragon Stir Fry tonight -- that one's not on the blog yet. It comes out to right around 200 calories a serving without the rice. The recipe below serves 4.

12 oz tofu (or you can just do the veggies)
    1 red bell pepper, cut into strips
    1 small carrot, sliced on an angle
    1 small head broccoli, cut into florets
    1 can chunk pineapple
    1/3 cup low-sodium soy sauce (you can use regular, just cut it back and bring it up to 1/3 c with water)
    1/2 cup water
    1/4 cup pineapple juice (reserved from when you drain the pineapple)
    3/4 tsp garlic powder
    3/4 tsp red pepper flakes
    1/4 tsp ground ginger
    1 Tbsp cornstarch

Drain the tofu, if you are using it. Toss in 1-2 Tbsp of cornstarch and lightly brown in 1-2 Tbsp canola or vegetable oil. Set aside on a plate to drain excess oil. (You can skip this and just toss in the tofu, but it's better this way)

Drain the pineapple, reserving 1/4 c juice. Mix with 1/2 c water, the soy sauce, and the spices and cornstarch. Set aside.

Heat 1-2 Tbsp of oil in a deep skillet. Stir fry vegetables (except pineapple) until soft, about 4-5 minutes. I put a lid on to help this process.

Add the sauce and heat until thickened, about 2 minutes. Stir vegetables to keep them from burning.

Add the tofu. Stir fry until it's coated in the sauce.

Add the pineapple chunks and heat through.

Serve with rice or without.

If you choose to make it without tofu, you can up the veggies, add a scrambled egg, or otherwise ratchet up the protein. You can also add other veggies, though I do not recommend adding mushrooms -- it alters the flavor profile too much IMHO. You could also use tempeh or seitan if you have some, though that would of course mess with the nutritionals.

Now I'm hungry. Off to drain that tofu!
  • keem88
    Options
    eggplant parm (serves 6-8)
    1 large eggplant, sliced longways into ¼ to ½ inch slices (you can actually slice them short way too if you want, my fiancé had sliced it for me, the short way in inch pieces and it came out fine)
    1 tbsp olive oil
    1 egg
    1 ½ cups fat free ricotta cheese
    6 tbsp grated parmesan/romano cheese blend
    4 tsp dried parsley flakes
    2 cups of pasta sauce
    1 cup fat free shredded mozzarella
    slice the eggplant, coat each slice with a little olive oil. preheat the oven to 450F, and bake the eggplant 10 minutes each side.
    while baking eggplant (this helps save calories instead of frying the eggplant first, and to me it tastes better. If you want to you can dip the eggplant in egg and bread crumbs and fry instead, but it will raise the calorie count for sure), mix the ricotta cheese, parsley, egg, grated parm (4 tbsp of it, set 2 tbsp aside) in a bowl.
    take eggplant out, in another baking tray coat the bottom with a little sauce. layer the eggplant, ricotta mix, sauce and some mozzarella. put another layer of eggplant, ricotta mix, sauce and mozzarella until all is used up. on top layer use remaining grated parm. cover with foil, the recipe I found said bake for 40 minutes, I baked it for 20 and it was fine.
    this makes about 8 servings, just divide it up. If you want larger pieces (the 8 serving piece is pretty filling), then divide it that way
    195 cals (serves 8) 260 cals (serves 6)

vegetarian stroganoff (serves 3)
    1 tsp worcestershire sauce (check ingredients to make sure there are not anchovies in it)
    1 tsp garlic powder
    1.334 cups meatless ground crumbles (or 2 servings that the package suggests)
    1.5 cup progresso cream of mushroom soup
    5 small mushrooms, sliced
    1 ounce non fat plain greek yogurt (in place of sour cream)
    1 medium slice chopped red onion
    1 tbsp flour
    2 cups egg noodles or shirataki noodles to drastically lower the cal count (1 package is 40 calories, about 8 ounces)
    in large skillet cook “meat” until no longer frozen, add in sliced mushrooms and onion and sautee. stir in cream of mushroom soup. depending what brand you use, you may need to add flour to make it thicken, if not then leave as is and don’t add flour (if you use campbells it is thicker, I use the progresso since it doesn’t have msg in it so it’s a little thinner, you can use less than a cup and a half too if you want).
    while the sauce is being prepared, cook egg noodles as directed, drain.
    once the sauce mix comes to a boil, remove from heat and add plain greek yogurt
    300 cals, 9 fat, 40 carbs, 15 protein, 605 sodium, 4 fiber

chickpea soup (serves 4)
    1 medium red onion, diced
    3 tsp minced garlic
    ½ tsp dried sage
    1 tsp ground black pepper
    2 cup vegetable broth or stock
    ½ a 10 oz package of frozen spinach, thawed
    ½ tsp table salt
    2 tbsp lemon juice
    15 ounce can chick peas
    in medium pot, sauté onion and garlic. Add in vegetable broth, pepper, sage, spinach and chickpeas, bring to a boil. transfer mixture to a blender and puree, bring back to pot and bring to a boil.stir in salt and lemon juice
    188 cals, 3 fat, 37 carbs, 11 protein, 965 sodium, 13 fiber

veggie taco salad (serves 4, or 2 large portions)
    2.6 cups meatless crumbles (4 servings)
    4 tbsp taco seasoning mix
    10 strips bell pepper
    1 medium slice red onion, diced
    4 tbsp medium salsa
    12 romaine lettuce leaves
    2 ounce Colby jack cheese shredded
    2 oz non fat greek yogurt, divided (or use low fat sour cream for higher calories)
    in skillet, cook meatless grounds, stir in taco seasoning and a little water, add more seasoning or less if needed. add peppers and onion, cook another few minutes. put lettuce in a bowl, top with taco mixture, greek yogurt or sour cream, salsa, cheese, any other toppings you like.
    188 cals (serves 4) or 376 cals (serves 2), 7 fat, 15 carbs, 16 protein, 734 sodium, 4 fiber

sweet potato burritos (serves 4)
    4 low carb large tortillas (80 calories each)
    8 pieces canned sweet potatoes/yams
    I can red kidney beans
    1 cup chopped red onion
    1 tbsp chili powder
    ¾ tbsp cumin
    1 ¼ tsp mustard
    1 tbsp soy sauce
    1 ounce Colby jack cheese shredded
    in skillet, heat kidney beans, add a little water and mash. stir in chopped onion (use less if desired) and sautee. stir in chili powder, cumin, mustard and soy sauce. Heat up sweet potato pieces in microwave, mash those. divide each mixture among the 4 tortillas, sprinkle cheese and roll each one, bake in the oven on 350 until crispy, maybe about 10 to 15 minutes. or you can just eat them as is without baking them.
    321 cals, 6 fat, 62 carbs, 20 protein, 966 sodium, 23 fiber

shirataki stir fry (serves 2)
    garlic powder to season
    2 tbsp soy sauce
    1 package shirataki noodles (if you can’t find the real ones, the tofu ones work too)
    1 cup sliced mushrooms
    2 cup frozen stir fry mix, or pepper onion mix
    1 ½ cups frozen chopped spinach
    any other veggies you like, for added calories add meatless chicken strips, chickpeas, tofu or something else you like
    drain and soak/rinse shirataki noodles until “fishy smell” is gone, pat noodles dry. cook noodles in skillet covered about 7 minutes. add in the vegetables, you can nuke them first to make cooking faster, or add them frozen and cook/sautee until veggies are all done. stir in soy sauce and garlic powder (or any other sauce you like, sweet n sour, teriyaki, etc)
    90 calories (or the whole skillet for 180!), 1 fat, 13 carbs, 6 protein, 1302 sodium, 6 fiber.
    you can also turn this into an Italian dish and use spaghetti sauce instead of soy sauce

black bean enchilada casserole (serves 6)
    1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
    1 medium slice onion, diced
    3 large flour tortillas, ripped in half
    1 cup (or less) enchilada sauce
    2 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
    1 cup frozen spinach, thawed
    1 tsp minced garlic
    1 poven to 350. in skillet, cook together black beans spinach and garlic. In a baking pan, put small layer of enchilada sauce on bottom. layer with 3 of the tortilla halves, on top put the bean mixture, some cheese and enchilada sauce. add second layer of tortilla and add rest of mixture, sauce and cheese. add more cheese if needed. bake in oven until cheese melted and crispy, maybe about 10 minutes. feel free to use small corn tortillas in place of large flour ones, that is all I had at the time.
    199 cals, 4 fat, 32 carb, 10 protein, 811 sodium, 6 fiber

pesto pizza (serves 6)
    1 pizza crust
    1 package of pesto mix, prepared as directions state (using olive oil and water) or packaged pesto dip
    1 cup low fat shredded mozzarella cheese
    1 cup frozen spinach, thawed and drained.
    preheat oven to 350. prepare pesto mix, if it appears to be too liquid like, add some flour to help thicken it. if you purchase the pesto spread, it will be thicker already. put pesto sauce on crust, add cheese and spinach, add any other toppings if desired. bake according to pizza crust directions
    279 cals, 18 fat, 24 carbs, 9 protein, 544 sodium, 2 fiber

cheese tortellini salad (serves 2)
    2 medium mushrooms, sliced
    1 red onion slice, diced
    1 cup cheese tortellini, cooked drained and cooled
    kalamata olives
    olive oil and red wine dressing with lemon juice (mix a little of each) with a little oregano mixed in
    romaine lettuce leaves (3 to 6 leaves per serving), or baby spinach leaves
    ¼ cup crumbled feta cheese.
    in large bowl mix together all ingredients and toss until coated. feel free to change things up, or use a different dressing instead of an oil vinegar based.
    248 cals, 13 fat, 24 carbs, 10 protein, 889 sodium, 3 fiber

spinach stuffed shells (serves 3)
    10 jumbo pasta shells, cooked drained and cooled
    1 cup low fat ricotta cheese
    ½ cup low fat shredded mozzarella cheese
    1 cup frozen spinach, thawed and drained
    ½ cup to a cup spaghetti sauce (depends how much you want to use)
    oregano, garlic powder, grated parmesan cheese to taste
    preheat oven to 350. after cooking and draining pasta shells, mix together ricotta, spices, and parmesan in a bowl. stuff each shell, coat a baking pan with spaghetti sauce and put shells on. put sauce on shells and top with shredded cheese
    320 cals, 10 fat, 33 carbs, 23 protein, 483 sodium, 3 fiber

zucchini boat (serves 1)
    1 whole zucchini, cut in half long ways
    ½ cup meatless crumbles
    1 wedge laughing cow light cheese, or ¼ cup shredded cheese (will make calories higher)
    1 tsp minced garlic
    1 tsp chopped red onion
    ¼ cup spaghetti sauce
    slice zucchini long way, scoop out insides. in skillet, cook meatless grounds, add in garlic, zucchini insides and onion.bBefore filling zucchini, spread laughing cow cheese. If using shredded cheese, add that last. put mixture inside zucchini, you may have leftover which is fine (you can add it to a sauce over pasta). put spaghetti sauce on top, and add cheese if using shredded. bake in oven at 350 about 10 minutes
    134 cals, 3 fat, 28 carbs, 13 protein, 471 sodium, 7 fiber

pizzadilla (serves 1)
    1 low carb tortilla
    1/8 cup spaghetti sauce
    1/8 cup frozen pepper onion blend
    ¼ cup meatless chicken tenders, or real chicken
    ¼ cup sliced mushrooms
    ¼ cup baby spinach
    ½ cup low fat shredded cheese
    spray skillet, sauté up pepper onion blend, chicken, mushrooms and spinach. take out of skillet, spray again and add tortilla. put spaghetti sauce on half of tortilla, add cheese and cooked topping. once cheese melts and tortilla becomes crispy, flip in half like a quesadilla.
    282 cals, 14 fat, 25 carb, 27 protein, 903 sodium, 14 fiber

spaghetti squash with stuffing
    1 spaghetti squash
    spaghetti sauce
    herb stuffing mix
    pierce slits in spaghetti squash, microwave 10 minutes. let cool a few minutes, cut in half long way and scoop out seeds/pulp. with a fork scrape out the insides of the squash, they will form spaghetti like strands. top spaghetti squash with sauce or any toppings you like. cook herb stuffing as directions say and have as a side dish
    spaghetti squash – 1 cup serving (40 cals), spaghetti sauce (60ish calories or less), prepared stuffing 150-175 cals per serving depending what brand you buy
  • keem88
    Options
    Pretty much all the recipes on my vegetarian blog are under 300 calories per serving: http://freerangetofu.wordpress.com

I'm making Dragon Stir Fry tonight -- that one's not on the blog yet. It comes out to right around 200 calories a serving without the rice. The recipe below serves 4.

12 oz tofu (or you can just do the veggies)
    1 red bell pepper, cut into strips
    1 small carrot, sliced on an angle
    1 small head broccoli, cut into florets
    1 can chunk pineapple
    1/3 cup low-sodium soy sauce (you can use regular, just cut it back and bring it up to 1/3 c with water)
    1/2 cup water
    1/4 cup pineapple juice (reserved from when you drain the pineapple)
    3/4 tsp garlic powder
    3/4 tsp red pepper flakes
    1/4 tsp ground ginger
    1 Tbsp cornstarch

Drain the tofu, if you are using it. Toss in 1-2 Tbsp of cornstarch and lightly brown in 1-2 Tbsp canola or vegetable oil. Set aside on a plate to drain excess oil. (You can skip this and just toss in the tofu, but it's better this way)

Drain the pineapple, reserving 1/4 c juice. Mix with 1/2 c water, the soy sauce, and the spices and cornstarch. Set aside.

Heat 1-2 Tbsp of oil in a deep skillet. Stir fry vegetables (except pineapple) until soft, about 4-5 minutes. I put a lid on to help this process.

Add the sauce and heat until thickened, about 2 minutes. Stir vegetables to keep them from burning.

Add the tofu. Stir fry until it's coated in the sauce.

Add the pineapple chunks and heat through.

Serve with rice or without.

If you choose to make it without tofu, you can up the veggies, add a scrambled egg, or otherwise ratchet up the protein. You can also add other veggies, though I do not recommend adding mushrooms -- it alters the flavor profile too much IMHO. You could also use tempeh or seitan if you have some, though that would of course mess with the nutritionals.

Now I'm hungry. Off to drain that tofu!

i am checking out your blog now and i LOVE it. i make a similar chickpea salad, i mix chickpeas with greek yogurt plain instead of mayo and spices like dillweed, chives, onion powder, garlic powder, ground pepper. so tasty! i am stealing your recipe
  • felcandy
    felcandy Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Skeebee
    Skeebee Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    I just made quinoa mac n' cheese from scratch last weekend. 299 calories. lol. I just made it! I'm pasting my ingredients I used from my diary

Ingredients
    Kroger - Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese, 2 oz (shredded)
    Sprouts - Extra Firm Tofu, 1/2 block (85 grams)
    Tone's - Ground Black Pepper, 1/4 tsp.
    Mccormick - Ground Mustard, 1/4 tsp
    Garlic - Clove, 1 clove
    Fage - 2% Plain Greek Yogurt, 7 oz
    Quinoa 1 cup dry

Preheat oven to 350. Cook quinoa as normal. In blender, combine all other ingredients and blend until smooth. Mix with cooked quinoa and bake for 20 minutes in 9x9 dish. Voila! :-)

Makes 4 servings

Macros per serving
    Calories 299
    Carbs 31
    Fat 10
    Sodium 125
    Chol 18
  • srm1960
    srm1960 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    :drinker: :drinker:
    bump-thanks guys:bigsmile:
  • keem88
    Options
    I just made quinoa mac n' cheese from scratch last weekend. 299 calories. lol. I just made it! I'm pasting my ingredients I used from my diary

Ingredients
    Kroger - Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese, 2 oz (shredded)
    Sprouts - Extra Firm Tofu, 1/2 block (85 grams)
    Tone's - Ground Black Pepper, 1/4 tsp.
    Mccormick - Ground Mustard, 1/4 tsp
    Garlic - Clove, 1 clove
    Fage - 2% Plain Greek Yogurt, 7 oz
    Quinoa 1 cup dry

Preheat oven to 350. Cook quinoa as normal. In blender, combine all other ingredients and blend until smooth. Mix with cooked quinoa and bake for 20 minutes in 9x9 dish. Voila! :-)

Makes 4 servings

Macros per serving
    Calories 299
    Carbs 31
    Fat 10
    Sodium 125
    Chol 18

omg stealing this too, yummmmm!
  • irishblonde2011
    irishblonde2011 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Stealing these too.
  • JustineMarie21
    JustineMarie21 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Today I made roasted cauliflour, then roasted slices of eggplant topped with tomato sauce,onions,peppers,mushrooms,parm cheese, then baked again till crisp. So in all eggplant pizzas.
  • ymosi
    ymosi Posts: 5
    Options
    I find most vegetarian meals are under 300 cal, I make chickpea or lentil burgers with salad, lentil spaghetti use rice noodle if you want to lower the cal, lentil chilli con carne. or get a light wrap and feel it with salad with baked sweet potato. I struggle to eat 300 cal for dinner and my diet is mostly vegetarian, (but I don't eat cream at all, also very little cheese)
  • dakotawitch
    dakotawitch Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    i am checking out your blog now and i LOVE it. i make a similar chickpea salad, i mix chickpeas with greek yogurt plain instead of mayo and spices like dillweed, chives, onion powder, garlic powder, ground pepper. so tasty! i am stealing your recipe

Thanks! My partner is the one who makes the chickpea salad -- she eats it all the time. It's a bit too fishy for me, but I am going to try your recipe and see if the spices might change that for me. We have a lot of fun keeping that blog, we're trying to get better about updating it with recipes and techniques. I was raised a die-hard meateater, so learning to cook veggie was somewhat of a challenge. I am so glad I have though -- I have cut my meat consumption to almost nothing and I feel better for it. And I've learned to make some incredible dishes that I never thought I'd eat let alone cook :).
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    What I had for dinner tonight was:

1/2cup tropical fruit
    1/2 cup cut green beans
    2/3 cup of whole new potatoes
    2tbsp of mild salsa

I feel fine after eating that I am not hungry and it was less than 300 cal.