Anyone else looking to lose 50 lbs in 6 months?

Options
2»

Replies

• Spook_Nuke_Em
    Spook_Nuke_Em Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Brand new to MFP! I'm very impressed so far with everything about it. I'm also looking to lose 50+ lbs in the next 6 months and beyond.

Last spring I lost 40 lbs doing insanity and eating clean. Unfortunately, I got sick and fell off the wagon (gained all the weight back and then some). I'm back now, and I honestly cannot stop no matter what. I need to be fit and healthy for my daughter.

Anyways, I'm looking for some friends on here to hold me accountable and share info. Thanks guys :)
  • michelle7673
    michelle7673 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Yes! Well, 43 by my birthday in late June, so it works out about right. You have all encouraged me just from reading!!!
  • rafatheone
    rafatheone Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to lose 45-50 pounds due June-ish and starting now
  • JessicaRobin67
    JessicaRobin67 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    my goal is to lose 20-25 by June...I began in January (mid) and have lost 8 so far... not sure but trying.
  • MorbidMander
    MorbidMander Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I am trying to go from 175 to 120. Started mid-December, got almost half. I would like to be aroundish 120 in June.

Don't ask why in June - maybe the nicest month of the year to me :)

I second this motion!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Good job everyone...I just wanted to give you a little caution. It's great to have goals and even set time frames, but don't dwell on those time frames. In my experience here, this has been one of the biggest frustrations for a lot of people...they set a weekly weight loss goal and think they'll get there in xxx months. Doesn't really work that way....for one thing, weight loss isn't linear...this is something you absolutely need to understand. You will have weeks that you don't lose, or you don't lose as much as your intended goal...even some weeks where you actually gain (not really fat, just water/waste, etc). You're also likely to hit plateaus along the way...it's normal and happens to everyone. These can last a couple of weeks and it is often recommended to eat back to maintenance level of calories or close to it for a week or two to spike your metabolism so you can break the plateau...as you can see, it's pretty easy right there to lose a month of weight loss when you need to wait a couple weeks to see if you're in a plateau...then a week or two to fix it.

I don't want to burst anyone's bubble, but I do want everyone to have realistic expectations. Even if you're not at goal in 6 months or whatever, you will be well on your way and will have attained a higher fitness level along the way.

Agree.

One more note of caution- training for an endurance event can be grueling, and isn't always the best setup for weight loss as people would think. Not getting enough calories while training leads to miserable training, injuries, and underperformance. What you may come to find out is that you can only afford a small deficit to keep up the training program. I have not personally done ant Tri's, but I speak from lots of road running racing experience. If it's a short Tri, you might be able to swing it while losing weight at that pace. If it's a longer race, you might need to revisit your expectations for what your summer of training will really look like.
  • jane_76
    jane_76 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Thanks again for taking the time to pass along some precautions. Rest assured, I'm already a pretty active individual, and I've completed a sprint tri in the past. I will be doing this responsibly - with a personal trainer, nutritionist, and naturopath - while following a very reasonable 12-week training plan. I'm already a swimmer, cyclist, and runner, so I'm just combining them all in one goal (sprint, aka shorter distance) event. My biggest obstacle will be tweaking my nutrition to optimize energy and results. Nothing crazy here, just whole foods while following an Eat Clean-type plan.

Again, I just provided the triathlon detail to try and find others with similar weight loss / fitness goals... with the aim to support each other to do it in a healthy way.

Thanks again!