House work as exercise

Options
What do you think then about house work being an exercise? I am sure that some of the chores burn a fair few calories!

~ Ebony

Replies

• galelynn57
    galelynn57 Posts: 9
    Options
    Type in cleaning and you have a choice or light or vigorous. Hope this helps!:happy: :happy:
  • sparkles321
    sparkles321 Posts: 107
    Options
    It is available in the tracker if you want to include it. I also include all the gardening I'm doing, even though it's not backbreaking labor most of the time. Small activities add up, why not include them?
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Since I've set myself as sedentary, I count little things like cleaning or walking around a shopping mall. They'll burn some calories and every bit helps :)
  • SassyMissDasha
    Options
    I totally would count that .. it's right in the exercise tracker ..even if it's just a quick 5 minute pick up!
  • leavinglasvegas
    leavinglasvegas Posts: 1,495
    Options
    I don't count my normal "routine" stuff, but I do count the rest. Like when I scrubbed all the floors with my hands. I counted that and felt it for days. Each week I do a "Zone" project, so I count it. (I follow Flylady.net if you are wondering what zones are)
  • cbirdso
    cbirdso Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't count general "activity" as exercise since it is factored in the BMR calculation. I only record walking, other cardio and strength training as "exercise.
  • EbonyDreams
    EbonyDreams Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Oh I didnt mean in terms of tracking it, just do you actually think of it as exercise. You are all right though I think every little bit counts :)

~ Ebony
  • KatieM7
    KatieM7 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    It burns calories so why not?!
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    Is it exercises? I suppose that depends upon what your definition of "exercise" is and also what a persons level of fitness already is. Is exercise anything that burns calories? Not to me. I can burn calories cooking, but I don't think of it as exercise. My basic definition of exercise is something that is challenging my muscles and/or my cardiovascular system. In order to be challenging, I have to keep ramping things up by doing harder strength moves or running longer/faster. I've certainly worked up a sweat cleaning house and maybe I have challenged my body, but not enough for me to lump it in with exercise, personally. But if I was quite unfit, then maybe that would be far more challenging.

So, I guess it boils down to "it depends". I'm no expert on exercise science, though, so I'm just giving you my own personal layman's opinion.
  • leavinglasvegas
    leavinglasvegas Posts: 1,495
    Options
    Oh, I see. No, I don't call it exercise. However, sometimes I make a workout out of it by putting weights in the laundry baskets and carrying them one load at a time up and down two flights of stairs with a time limit or something. Then, I would call it exercise because laundry day tends to trump a real workout. But when I do major housecleaning that is not the norm, like dusting, vacuuming, etc. I do count it for calorie burn because its not part of my typical "sedentary" day.
  • iamamamatologan
    Options
    If I'm just washing dishes or folding laundry, no I don't consider it exercise. If I'm mopping, scrubbing, doing laundry (in a 2 storey house so running up and down stairs), moving heavier items...yes, I definitely consider it exercise because my HR is up and I'm sweating. If I am going to log it as exercise time I make sure to do it for at least a half hour straight.