Are you a cheater?

Options
HI....I have a couple of questions for those of you that are cheaters! Meaning...eat super perfect for 6 days then have that glorious cheat day...here's some questions...

1. What do you eat on on your cheat days?
2. Calorie allowance for that day?
3. what do your "good" 6 days consist of
4. Do you exercise on this "cheat" day?
5. Lets say you mess up on a "good day" do you still have a "cheat day"
6. Do you have success with this?
7. Do you record your cheat day!?

That's all folks...I think! :)

Replies

• MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    No because:

I can easily wipe out a week's worth of deficits in one day.

My cheat days tend to turn into cheat weeks and if I'm not careful cheat months.

I get cravings and excess hunger when I eat certain foods and it's just not worth the annoyance to have those foods once a week, then fight the urge to have them again the next day and the day after that and the day after that.
  • Lunatic379
    Options
    I only do cheat meals. Not entire days. Like post above says, it's too easy to wipe out all your hard work.

When you've had 5 good meals, cheating on your last meal of the day isn't going to kill you.
  • Spook_Nuke_Em
    Spook_Nuke_Em Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I only do cheat meals. Not entire days. Like post above says, it's too easy to wipe out all your hard work.

When you've had 5 good meals, cheating on your last meal of the day isn't going to kill you.

I agree with both of the previous posters. A cheat meal is okay once a week, but I tend to keep it semi-healthy at the same time.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Hmm....I had to think about this. I don't think of it as "cheating"....

grr posted before i was ready. I don't think of it as cheating because I don't consider myself on a diet.
  • hellraisedfire
    hellraisedfire Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    not really, because I eat healthy food naturally without logging it. if I want to eat something, I eat it. but typically I prefer broccoli and spinach to donuts and pastas. but there are some days where I really have to force myself to not eat an entire pizza or ice cream container, lol.

...or days like today where it'll be me vs. the wine.
  • keninf
    keninf Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I don't necessarily do Cheat days, but I always eat with the intention to stay within my daily goals. My "cheats" include chocolate in many forms or sometimes a carb laden meal- but I ALWAYs record these in my diary (unless I am traveling and have poor service which does happen on some of my trips) but for the most part, I feel like if I want to eat something not so great for me- or go out to eat, drink with friends, etc. I just be sure to record it. I continue to lose at an even .5lbs but some weeks a bit less and others a bit more for a total of 13 lbs. so far. In order to make a significant, sustainable life change, I believe I have to moderate all things and what I am going for is permanent awareness and better choices- even if sometimes that includes a big piece of chocolate cake :)
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    i dont/didnt really do "cheat" days - but i would use sunday as my day to make up for any calories i didnt use during the week. called it my splurge day. sometimes it was bigger portions of healthy-ish food, sometimes it was fast food/pizza/etc and sometimes it was drinks and happy hour appetizers at the bar.. i always logged it because i wanted to make sure that i didnt go over my calories for the week. sundays werent my exercise days, so i typically didnt work out, but i didnt sit around and do nothing either (sunday = housecleaning..vacuuming/sweeping/mopping/etc). had plenty of success, never stressed about it.
  • Copaiba
    Copaiba Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Cheat meals are better. That way I've gotten used to forgiving myself and carrying on with the mission. And I cheat a LOT but my "diet" has improved tremendously overall. And my cheat meals have gradually become less extreme because I've lost the taste for oils, fats and really sweet things.
  • alienrite
    alienrite Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    No...even on social occasions when a big meal is part of the event, I always try to fit the calories into my day and if not the week. It happens about once meal every four or five weeks.
  • jjrichard83
    jjrichard83 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    As I go on, my cheat days turn into cheat meals, and my cheat meals become more and more infrequent. Usually leave them for holidays or the occasional night out with friends.
  • JeremiahStone
    JeremiahStone Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I dont do cheat days, only cheat meals. 24 hours is way too much time to gorge. Instead I give myself one hour a week I can feast. Gives your metabolism a jump-start and seriously helps motivate.
  • eliseofthejungle
    eliseofthejungle Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Hmm....I had to think about this. I don't think of it as "cheating"....

grr posted before i was ready. I don't think of it as cheating because I don't consider myself on a diet.

^^^^This
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    Yes and no? I have a high caloric intake (1800 cals/day, don't eat back exercise cals) to begin with, so I can afford quite a bit of food. I eat a healthier 1800 cals Mon-Fri - lots of lean meat, veggies, fruits, not too much processed stuff. Saturday and Sunday I don't log and I eat what I feel like, but I guesstimate my calories and try to not go over 2000. I exercise 6 days a week, and since my long run day is Sunday, I don't really feel bad about eating a ton of food that day.
  • jackoninny
    jackoninny Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    On my last cheat day I went to two chili cookoffs and a wild game cook off. Polished it off with a bag of cupcake goldfish when I went home. Consumed over 6000 calories.

The day after I did Plyo X, 2 insanity dvds, my ab workout and my shoulder work out.

Ab day after 2 chili cookoffs... No open flames.
  • wickedwendy6
    wickedwendy6 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I do cheat days! Every Saturday is my free day - I log nothing, I don't workout and I eat what I feel like.....without going overboard. I'm a big advocate of this because I believe it helps me stay on track on the other days of the week.

To answer your questions:

1. What do you eat on on your cheat days? Just whatever I feel like - not massive servings though.
    2. Calorie allowance for that day? I don't count so I have no allowance for the day.
    3. what do your "good" 6 days consist of? Pretty healthy - you can see my diary if you like.
    4. Do you exercise on this "cheat" day? No.
    5. Lets say you mess up on a "good day" do you still have a "cheat day" I don't mess up because I know 'cheat day' is coming.
    6. Do you have success with this? Very much so!
    7. Do you record your cheat day!? Nope.

Other details: I started trying to lose weight early Nov last year, so have only been doing it for about 3 1/2 month. Beginning weight was 77.6kg - current weight is 67.6kg. I think that's pretty successful. Friend request me if you want. :smile:
  • fstender
    fstender Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    This is awesome to hear everyones opinions! I like the idea of cheat meals! I asked because i have a friend that does this faithfully and has had lots of luck with it....but again im very nervous that having a cheat day would throw me off too! thanks everyone for your feedback!
  • mikeyd1219
    Options
    My cheat day is my off day from exercising. I eat what ever I've been craving and stay under my calorie goal. Don't want to over do it and regress instead of progress. If I have a bad day I may skip my cheat day depending how bad my day is. Yes I recomend a cheat day it keeps you sane just remember not to over do it. I have had a lot of success with thist lost 48 lbs so far.
  • cjcmrn
    cjcmrn Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    No because:

I can easily wipe out a week's worth of deficits in one day.

My cheat days tend to turn into cheat weeks and if I'm not careful cheat months.

I get cravings and excess hunger when I eat certain foods and it's just not worth the annoyance to have those foods once a week, then fight the urge to have them again the next day and the day after that and the day after that.

I totally agree. it,s just not worth it
  • ssami_89
    Options
    DO YOU CHEAT ON YOUR SPOUSE AND/OR BOYFRIEND/GIRLFRIEND?
    If you have made a commitment to dieting you shouldnt cheat just like your commitment in a relationship ...it is your relationship to food keep your commitment
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    DO YOU CHEAT ON YOUR SPOUSE AND/OR BOYFRIEND/GIRLFRIEND?
    If you have made a commitment to dieting you shouldnt cheat just like your commitment in a relationship ...it is your relationship to food keep your commitment
    thats the thing though - i didnt make a commitment to dieting. i made a commitment to weigh less and be healthier and i can do that while still having a day or two with higher calories.