Losing weight after a c-section.

sls8486
sls8486 Posts: 8
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
I had a c-section on May 3rd, and am unsure about what exercises are okay to do right now.
I was given a sheet of paper with restrictions on it from my doctor, and I intend to follow them fully.
(I'm not a celebrity mom. lol. I'm not looking to start a full - on workout.)

I have just been feeling good for the past week, and while I am not 100% better and still have a few pains, I want to start doing simple, simple yoga and start getting my stamina a little bit higher for when I go back to work.

If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

Replies

• blondie76
    blondie76 Posts: 552 Member
    I was told after my c sec to wait 6 weeks to start some excersise, give body a chance to heal, I got enough excercsie before the 6 weeks was up just walking around with my son!lol hope this helps!
  • Melwith9
    Melwith9 Posts: 17
    oh honey.. you are not going to be fully recovered for a long while yet. I had a c section with my twins 2 years ago and it took a good 3 months before I could use my stomach muscles without pain.. remember they riped right through your core :(. At this point you should not even try to stress those muscles.. you want to let them heal.. yoga in any form will target your core. I would stick to walk walk walk for now.. don't do anything else until your 6 week appointment and your dr clears you.
  • sls8486
    sls8486 Posts: 8
    Okay thanks!
    I guess I was trying to jump the gun lol.

I'll definitly start walking around a bit more.
    Thanks for the information!
  • kittyhorn
    kittyhorn Posts: 112 Member
    Congraulations on your new baby!

I had a c-section Dec 21, 2009 and I found that even after my 6 week appointment that some ab exercises would cause some pain. Pregnancy and then a c-section put a lot of strain on your body. Go easy on yourself! Easier said than done I know but nobody is expecting you to be in tip top shape this quickly. Just walk, walk, walk and then walk some more as PP said and you'll start to feel more like yourself in no time!
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Yeah, hold off on the yoga, hehe. Even gentle yoga will have you in positions you don't want to be in right now. You don't want to pop a stitch! ... As for exercise, nursing is plenty. Focus on that and easy walks until after your doctor gives you the ok to start exercise again (pretty sure it's about 8-12 weeks).
  • rhstyles
    rhstyles Posts: 36
    Just remember you are healing from the inside to the outside. So while you may feel great on the outside, you still have a good bit of healing to do. Trust me you dont want to over do it and set yourself back. Congrats on the new baby!
    Rebekah
  • h_eloise86
    h_eloise86 Posts: 124
    I had a c-section on Jan 24th, 2010.
    I started like powering walking/jogging around the end of February.
    Two weeks ago I tried to do some simple crunches and DAMN!
    All that pain that I was bragging about not feeling ..... well I felt it.
    So I just jog. I do some arm and leg exercises now. I do not do anything that solely targets my abs.
    I am waiting another two months at least to give that a go.
    Just take it easy.

Congrats on your baby :)
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Congrats on your new baby! :heart:
    Your only what 3 weeks PP? I've had two c-sections, I was told nothing until I was 6weeks PP, and then only light things like walking/ light jogging until 12weeks PP. When you are ready to move in to more strenuous exercises I would recommend pilates to rebuild core strength. Congrats again :love:
This discussion has been closed.