Losing weight gained from medication

Options
Hi all,

I am currently taking high doses of Remeron and Seroquel which have caused me to gain about 10-15 kg, and I would like to try lose some of that weight without changing the medication as it's the only combination of meds that has worked for me for some time. Has anyone had success losing weight gained from meds while continuing to take the medication?

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Eat less, do more.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    accountability.
    dont eat more food than you burn.
  • Jelaine56
    Jelaine56 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I take Celexa and Trazadone and had gained a good 30 pounds from taking them.. But I have lost almost 29 pounds by just walking and using the Leslie Sansone power 5 mile walk.. I also eat a lot healthier than I did.. Even when I don't feel like exercising I try to do at least some. Can't wait until Spring so I can walk outside again.. Have been walking on my treadmill.. Feel free to add me as a friend if you want to :)
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    Yes I have lost about a total of 22 lbs since sept 12 since dec. I am on 5 different psych meds. Yes I have to be to function.

You just have to be even more diligent than you would be otherwise. Seroquel made me want to eat everything in sight. I have even heard reports of people waking up at night and sleep eating. Still losing weight is possible like other people said you have to watch your calories and make sure youre moving. Your margin of error is just smaller and it will probably come off slower.
  • Cheryl1018
    Options
    I had the same problem, it just creeped up on me. I had to set my mind to do and be faithful about logging in here. I found a few low calorie snacks to replace the carb-craving snacks I used to have. I brought things to work like apples sprinkled with cinnamon, almonds, low cal granola bars etc to reach for when I had carb cravings. I spoke to my doc about the weight gain and he was honest and said "make better food choices, really try to cut out the cookies/candy/bagels etc and try to get more exercise. I am down 11 pounds now. This site definately helps!
  • debmphillips
    debmphillips Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    My daughter takes Seroquel & since she's been taking it (almost 3 years), she's gained 55 lbs. What we're doing for her since she constantly wants to eat is small meals & plenty of healthy snacks so she can eat but not gain. I bought her 100 cal nut packs, popcorn, and I keep cut up celery & carrots, also grape tomatoes & cut up apples. She has lost 7 lbs over the past 2 months this way before starting on here. We now do a walking CD for 40 mins a day (and do a 4 min running sprint halfway through). I wish there were an alternate. Good luck to you & all on here struggling with these hard not to eat on meds. :)
  • Haddix157
    Options
    Hello, I'm on Haldol, Setraline, Lorazepam, they've made me gain over 50 lbs in the last 8 years since taking them, I have to take them (anxiety, tourettes) but I've been watching what I eat (and still taking them) and lost about 13 lbs in a month, so yes, it can be done, just have to keep it up! Feel free to add me as a friend! :)
  • jayne_mel
    jayne_mel Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I'm on Seroquel and trazadone, I feel like I'm the only person who hasn't gained weight being on this type of meds, and I've tried a lot of them.
  • droneofvelvet
    droneofvelvet Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I gained 30++ lbs from Celexa after losing 15. I really wasn't eating much and exercising all the time so I stopped taking it. I feel like crap now and I am still stuck with the gained weight after a couple of months.

Make sure you write down everything that goes into your mouth into your food diary.
    Try to get some exercise.
    If that doesn't print out your food and exercise diaries for the past month and show your DR. They might not believe that the medication is causing the weight gain (or they will try to deny it).

If all else fails decide if you want to be fat & happy or lose the weight, still have to work your butt off (the gained weight doesn't care that you didn't earn it or deserve it, it will be just as hard as anyone to lose!!), and miserable because you don't have your meds to help you through. I'm there right now.
  • Cmuchoa
    Cmuchoa Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    It depends on the medication - I have been on high doses of steroids for the past 3 yrs - spent 7 different hospital stays alone this past 2012 - 7-14 days at a clip - I have been on IV drips of 80 mgs every two hours and my face has blown up like a purple St Bernard's head and my facial skin looks like a have had baby powder thrown on me as it gets so dry... almost like a burn - in 3 years I haved gained 60 lbs - Emphysema / COPD / Congestive Heart Failure BUT I AM HAPPY TO SAY THAT I am an ovarian cancer survivor - but there is no cure for this disease - it is either maintain or go down hill - w/o these meds along with all the others I take I will die. In the process of being screened for a possible candidate for a lung transplant list.

So...not all meds are the same - I have tried so many diets and can lose approx 5 lbs and walk a little bit with my oxygen tank (24/7) but it is an uphill battle. Breathing treatments every 4 hours - oxygen machine at home with a 50 ft tube so I can make it from one end to the other parts of the house. All 4 seasons have their own drawbacks on my health - I have to stay away from anyone who is sick so my social life is very limited at most times.

So it is not basically eat less, exercise and lose the weight when on certain medications. My bloodwork indicates that I eat healthy and it is all bloat - they also say I have Cushings Disease as well.

My diet for the past 3 months has been skinless chicken, turkey, lamb, white fish (baked or broiled) veggies and wide variety of greens, small amounts of fruit as I am Type II Diabetic, no dairy or starchy carbs and watch sodium like a hawk. I have done the NutriBullet 2 times a day for 2 months and only felt less bloated - now I have changed it to only a few times for lunch instead of a cold salad and have added all the flax, Chia seeds and other boosters.

I am determined to lose the weight and hopefully be able to breathe better as I am very scared about a possible transplant at this moment.

Good luck to everyone who takes meds and gains weight - just keep on trying and maybe something will work. Be strong and dedicated to yr health and perhaps we can make it all turn around to our best interest - I know that I won't stop trying.
  • CaciaXX
    Options
    Thanks for the replies everyone. :)
    I have the same problem with the Seroquel RunDoozer, and end up night eating sometimes. So I'm really trying to stay away from the kitchen after I've taken my meds.
    Thanks for the snack ideas Cheryl and Deb, it's the cravings for carb filled snacks that have really messed up my eating habits, I definitely need to swap them for something healthier.
    Sorry to hear you've had such a hard time with your health Cmuchoa, I admire your positive attitude and hope things start getting better for you.