Splitting up cardio and strength training?

Options
Hello, just wondering about everyone's opinion on this:

I'm doing the Slim in 6 program which is a mixture of cardio and strength training and I was wondering, since I do my workouts right when I get out of bed, if it's effective to do the cardio in the morning, eat breakfast, wait a while, and then do the strength training. I can't seem to push through strength training without eating first, but I want to have an effective workout.

Would it be better to split them up, eat and then do the entire workout together, or..?
Any comments would be appreciated!

Replies

• DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    I'm not familure with the details of the workout, but the idea is to get your heart rate up so that you burn more calories during the strength training. It's more productive and encourages faster weight loss. I would say do not split them up. Perhaps you can have something light like a banana with almond butter, or a protein bar before you do the program so you have energy to sustain the workout. GL! :)
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    Myself I would eat before you exercise in the morning do to the fact that you haven't had anything to get the body up and going. You need to put fuel in the car before you can drive it
  • rnroadrunner
    rnroadrunner Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    i have to agree with everyone. eat something light that will give you energy. I eat a banana before then the rest of my bf after. this helps alot. and like Dizzy says the idea is to get the hr up so you burn more with strength training.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I always need extra fuel when I do strength training so I try to eat at the latest, an hour before. I'm not sure the extent of the strength training so that might be ideal for you. Cardio is best effective when done immediately after strength training, so eat a banana with some peanut butter before you work out, do your strength, then cardio, then eat a full breakfast afterwards.

EDIT - If the exercises are cardio & strength, mixed together, then definitely do them together as designed, just make sure to eat light before to give you some energy.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Not that what I do is "right" It's just what I'm comfortable with, and how I do best during work outs.

I do cardio and strength work outs on alternating days. This way one never detracts from the other.

Also, I like to work out right out of the rack, so I arely eat anything before....except when a run will go past 40 minutes....I hit a wall at 40 minutes.
  • Fry24
    Fry24 Posts: 21
    Options
    I like to do cardio on an empty (er) stomach, usually early, as well.

One way to split them up is to do the cardio as you normally, take a break for a snack THEN do a few minutes of cardio right before the strength training- a few sets of jumping jacks, running in place for 1-2 minutes. That way your heart rate is back up and you re warmed your body and muscles.