MFP recommending 1200 calls

Options
But a lot of people on here say that's not enough ? Is this something I should follow or not? Sorry if it's a really dumb question, Im not clued up with this.

I'm currently 174lbs, 5ft 4 gw: 140

Replies

• stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    What did you pick for your weight loss goal, 2 pounds, 1 pound or half a pound a week?
  • michaelalouise3915
    michaelalouise3915 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    2, which I understand is enough to burn 3500 a week. But if so many people say it doesn't work, should I upp my calories? I was previously eating a hell of a lot more.
  • michaelalouise3915
    Options

I don't understand why mfp have it as an option if it doesnt work. I'll give it a read thankyou :)
  • stephdeeable
    Options
    2, which I understand is enough to burn 3500 a week. But if so many people say it doesn't work, should I upp my calories? I was previously eating a hell of a lot more.

Try picking a less aggressive weight loss goal. Try a half a pound(or even a pound) a week - it will give you more daily calories, you will probably feel better than if you tried for 2 pounds a week, and it will give you a better chance of long term success.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    For some people it's appropriate. But the reason people get that as a goal is because it's the bare minimum number MFP will give you. If you pick a goal that's too ambitious and then you pick sedentary you get the minimum.

My advise is to pick your activity level honestly, and chose 1 lb/week as your goal.
  • stephdeeable
    Options

I don't understand why mfp have it as an option if it doesnt work. I'll give it a read thankyou :)

MFP is just a tool, it runs numbers. It isn't necessarily giving you what will work best for you. It's going by how many pounds you want to lose a week and subtracting the appropriate deficit from your calorie goal. It won't go less than 1200 for legal reasons I believe.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

It wld actually be 7000. 3500 is typically for 1 lbs a week.

Since you don't have a lot to lose (I know might feel otherwise), a smaller goal like 1 - 1.5 lbs per week is suggested. 2 lbs is more for people who have much more to lose.

Plus, keep in mind that MFP is designed so you eat calories accumulated by exercise as well. So anyone doing any type of exercise would eat more than the number MFP suggests.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

MFP is just a tool, it runs numbers. It isn't necessarily giving you what will work best for you. It's going by how many pounds you want to lose a week and subtracting the appropriate deficit from your calorie goal. It won't go less than 1200 for legal reasons I believe.

This. The site depends on you to imput correct numbers and choose appropriate goals.
    Many people select sedentary when they are more likely lightly active. And many choose the highest goal when it's not always ideal.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

This. The site depends on you to imput correct numbers and choose appropriate goals.
    Many people select sedentary when they are more likely lightly active. And many choose the highest goal when it's not always ideal.

Also, as I mentioned, the site anticipates you will exercise and earn more calories although exercise is not required.

ETA - also, it's not that 1200 won't work, it just might not be ideal for a lot of people for a number of reasons
  • michaelalouise3915
    Options
    That all makes sense, thank you for the replies :)

I'm hoping to be 140 by say September time, so 1/1.5 could still help. Thanks again.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options

1200 calories worked fine for me. I lost 26% of my body weight. Never hungry, full of energy. I'm on maintenance now. No problems. So evidently, it does work for some of us.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    For some people it's appropriate. But the reason people get that as a goal is because it's the bare minimum number MFP will give you. If you pick a goal that's too ambitious and then you pick sedentary you get the minimum.

My advise is to pick your activity level honestly, and chose 1 lb/week as your goal.

This, this, a thousand times this!
  • stephdeeable
    Options

1200 calories worked fine for me. I lost 26% of my body weight. Never hungry, full of energy. I'm on maintenance now. No problems. So evidently, it does work for some of us.

Yes, it does work for some people. But losing 2 pounds a week for someone who is looking to lose 30/40 pounds is still a very ambitious goal. So, it's possible the deficit may end up being too large for some people.
  • borichfan
    borichfan Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I lost 95 lbs. in an 18 month period eating 1200 calories a day & it worked well for me.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options

You are 58 yrs old, she is 21 yrs old so this makes a BIG difference in how much she should eat.
  • michaelalouise3915
    Options
    Sedentary would be appropriate for me I think? Pilates 5x a week, and gym 3-4 but this changes when im on nights. I'm a nurse so I'm on my feet most of the day pottering about (and quite often restraining which damn, really makes me sweat!)
  • michaelalouise3915
    Options
    I lost 95 lbs. in an 18 month period eating 1200 calories a day & it worked well for me.

Wow that's impressive !
  • stephdeeable
    Options
    Sedentary would be appropriate for me I think? Pilates 5x a week, and gym 3-4 but this changes when im on nights. I'm a nurse so I'm on my feet most of the day pottering about (and quite often restraining which damn, really makes me sweat!)

Starting to wonder if troll...or...

Anyways....if you're a nurse and working out regularly, you're not sedentary. You're quite active, actually.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options

That's not sedentary. :smile: Minimum you're lightly active, probably more.