No carbs for a week.

Options
If I do no carbs or low carbs next week will I gain extra lbs after I stop the low carb fast. ? Im just doing it to stretch myself and help with my discpline...

Replies

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    No carbs?

So no fruit or veggies?

You're just going to be eating chicken, beef, pork and olive oil?
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    No carbs?

So no fruit or veggies?

You're just going to be eating chicken, beef, pork and olive oil?
    sounds like the start of a great dish at a mongolian grill lol
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    If I do no carbs or low carbs next week will I gain extra lbs after I stop the low carb fast. ? Im just doing it to stretch myself and help with my discpline...

If you do no carbs, then go back on carbs yes you will gain a bit of weight back. It'll be your body taking on a bit more water and Glucose once you carb back up.
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    not a wise choice.
    just sayin....
  • stratusofkiser
    stratusofkiser Posts: 54 Member
    Options

If you do no carbs, then go back on carbs yes you will gain a bit of weight back. It'll be your body taking on a bit more water and Glucose once you carb back up.

I agree. I do low carb and if I go back to carb foods I gain. If your going to go low carb do it longer than a week and slowly work the carbs back in with carbs that are healthy.
  • tashatashae
    tashatashae Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Just like no rice bread potatoes I will eat fruits and vegg
  • m_shuman
    m_shuman Posts: 179
    Options
    Your body needs carb, good carbs, carbs that are in fruits, veggies and things like brown rice and oatmeal. Your brain functions on carbs. Carbs give your body quick energy.
  • jmosery
    Options
    I don't eat breads rice sugar pasta potatoes, exc...

I only get carbs from fruit vegetables and some dairy(only at breakfast-Greek yogurt or cottage cheese) and I am by far not low carb. So if you truly want to go low carb you'll have to watch those thins too
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    A lot of people drop water weight when they start low carb. In fact, I was chugging water constantly the first two weeks especially trying to stay hydrated. So if after a week you swap back to higher carbs yeah, you will probably re-carbo-hydrate, and the scale will show it.

You could try it anyway just to see if you like it, but not sure how much use it will be if you do it for a week and stop.

Oh, and the first couple weeks are rough as your body transitions, so that is another reason not to do it if you know you won't keep doing it. You need to give it more time. At least commit to a month.
  • Oaeneo
    Oaeneo Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Your body needs carb, good carbs, carbs that are in fruits, veggies and things like brown rice and oatmeal. Your brain functions on carbs. Carbs give your body quick energy.

You don't need carbs. You need glucose and your body will adapt to run off of protein and fats just fine. It just rearranges the molecule and sends it to the brain.

Yes, I know this is extremely simplified. However, the human body does not require carbs to function.
  • symonspatrick
    symonspatrick Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    You will lose probably 5 to 10 pounds of water weight if you cut back low enough on carbs. If you go back to excessive carbs later you will gain that water weight back. I like that my appetite was not so out of control with the lower carbs but I don't think it would be worth doing for just one week.
  • findingmyfit
    Options
    A lot of people drop water weight when they start low carb. In fact, I was chugging water constantly the first two weeks especially trying to stay hydrated. So if after a week you swap back to higher carbs yeah, you will probably re-carbo-hydrate, and the scale will show it.

You could try it anyway just to see if you like it, but not sure how much use it will be if you do it for a week and stop.

Oh, and the first couple weeks are rough as your body transitions, so that is another reason not to do it if you know you won't keep doing it. You need to give it more time. At least commit to a month.

^I agree with what she says. If you commit to it for at least a month you're golden but IMO it should be something you stick to for a while. I'm still trying to stick with it but let me tell you it's way harder than you think. You really want to get in some leafy greens, watch your sodium intake, drink lots of water, make sure you're getting enough fat. Also don't freak out if your menstrual cycle changes. With me low carb/keto takes patience, adjusting with macs, etc. Just don't give up. You'll more than likely slip up but you'll learn from that and learn/educate yourself more along the way. Just don't take what each person says on here thinking that's what you gotta do. Just do what turns out to work for you. You'll find what it is if you work at it. ;)
  • tashatashae
    tashatashae Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Oh wow sounds like I shouldnt do it. Im losing weight just fine now I just wanted to mix things up a bit..
  • PDXContessa
    PDXContessa Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I'm eating low carb and I'm doing really well. If you're interested, do a little reading about a diet called "Paleo". I've completely eliminated bread, rice, cereal, and all grains. I get carbs from fruit and vegetables. I've noticed that I'm less hungry when I eat fewer carbs.
  • furrina
    furrina Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    If you want to mix things up, mix up the exercise. Throw in some high intensity (HIIT) cardio, or a new kind of exercise you don't usually do, like biking or dance if you don't usually do that. It makes your body exert itself if it has gotten used to--and less challenged by--your usual workouts and it works new muscles, both of which burn more calories than before.

contrary to what some say, mixing up foods or how you combine them really doesn't make a difference, it's really just the calories. What it does do is make you more mindful of what you're eating, less likely to "cheat" and less bored with what you're eating, which is likely what causes it to "work."
  • ColeyCannoli
    Options

You don't need carbs. You need glucose and your body will adapt to run off of protein and fats just fine. It just rearranges the molecule and sends it to the brain.

Yes, I know this is extremely simplified. However, the human body does not require carbs to function.

Ugh, yes, actually your body does need carbs to function. Ever notice how even the most restrictive low-carb diets dont eliminate it completely? Your body can use lipids and proteins to restock the glycolysis (& citric acid cycle, etc) pathway in our cells but the neurons in the brain cannot do this so well. The liver can take lipids and make enough glucose-like molecules for you to function but eventually you will start to suffer from ketoacidosis (acidic blood). Basically these pieces of the lipids that were broken down will be left over in the blood, making it more and more acidic (look up ketone bodies).There is a reason why diabetes, where people cannot absorb sugars well, is dangerous even though they can take in proteins and fats. Please be careful when you say anything is 100% one way or the other. The idea that we do not require any carbs at all to function is dangerous to just spout out without some sort of caveat like veggies or fruits which are also carbs.

To the OP - it might be fun to shake things up just to keep things interesting as long as you go in knowing that you might not keep off all the pounds from that time. You seem to be doing great though, so good luck!

*** I wrote this super late at night and just from memory of my biochem class last semester so if I'm a bit off, sorry all.
  • Cryogenetic
    Options
    Just like no rice bread potatoes I will eat fruits and vegg

Your body just knows that carbs are carbs and will use them all the same. Fruits and vegetables have carbs, you might not eat as many carbs as normal but you will still be getting them. Fun fact: a large apple has as many carbs and calories as a can of pop.

GG
  • Cryogenetic
    Options
    @ColeyCannoli
    You really don't need carbohydrates to live. It might be a more comfortable life with them, but they are not a necessity. Please don't tell people the wrong information that you might have heard from biochem a semester ago.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Cutting out carbs is not healthy. You can lower them a bit. I try to keep my intake under 200. I've been succeeding and losing weight.
  • emstethem
    emstethem Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    No carbs?! ...even the strictest form of Atkins allows 20grams a day(mostly in the form of veggies)! You are gonna get SO constipated...please remember to drink your water...also, I don't think a week is going to make much difference...it takes a least three days for your body to switch into ketosis...If you are thinking about cutting carbs that fine...but do it the right way...go out and buy (or check out from the library) Dr. Atkins book. :) I wouldn't go ZERO carb though...I think you'll regret it...