Fruit Instead of Sweets? You Can't Be Serious!

Options
When someone tells me to enjoy a piece of fruit instead of sweets, I feel like a little kid hearing, "No, you can't keep the puppy - but we'll get you a goldfish!"

Replies

• JazzieSmith
    JazzieSmith Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Lol same here. I just found some low Cal sweets to enjoy. Skinny Cow makes some yummy ones.
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    Haha, I agree usually. But I do love fruit - sometimes I do just want fruit for dessert. Not this time of year though :angry:
  • NaurielR
    NaurielR Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I know! I love fruits. I really do. And they can be marvelous as an ingredient in dessert recipes. Strawberry cheesecake? Yum! Bananas and chocolate? Sign me up! But just plain fruit? Nuh uh.
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I've always thought this. If I wanted something sweet, a cupcake sounds more desirable then a banana! That's why I have to have a lot of willpower!
  • MarieG2023
    MarieG2023 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I've always loved fruit...but even more so now. I've learned to control my desire for processed desserts.
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    I eat prunes, they have a similar taste and texture to gummies so they cure my cravings
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    I used to eat a lot more chocolate, cookies and cake but of course I ended up fat and sluggish and depressed.
    It took awhile but now I eat a bit of chocolate or a special dessert on a special occasion but I eat fruit everyday and I've grown to really love it. Berries, clementines, oranges, apples, pears, fresh pineapple, bananas and tons of watermelon in the summertime.
    Oh and cherries-yum! I didn't think it possible but my candy is fruit now.
    It can be done and you'd be surprised at how satisfying fruit is.
  • ssami_89
    Options
    My name is Samantha and Im addicted to candy :/ but I recently bought apples instead...
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    What happens to me is that I'll have the fruit "instead" and then half an hour later I'll give in and have the sweets too. :blushing:
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    I like cherry pie and ice cream
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Sometimes all your body and brain need is a sweet taste. It might help you to get over the craving, even if it isn't a candy bar like you wanted. Valid advice for people to at least try.
  • SailorSarah311
    SailorSarah311 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I saw a recipe in the new Health magazine this week that looks delicious. You melt some dark chocolate in a bowl with a bit of olive oil. Then you dip some banana slices in it. Then you put some chopped almonds on them. Place in the freezer and enjoy once frozen. It will be a sweet/fruity treat.
  • auzziecawth66
    auzziecawth66 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    What happens to me is that I'll have the fruit "instead" and then half an hour later I'll give in and have the sweets too. :blushing:

Me too!! Lol
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    I like cake.

in fact, I had this tonight... limoncello marscapone cake.

april_limoncello350x250.jpg
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Depends on the fruit. This time of year the clementines are as sweet as candy. And some fresh pineapple caramelized under the broiler a little is heavenly.
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    I love skinny cow as an easy tasty low calorie sweet treat.

HOWEVER, my friend is a super dehydrator. I just left her house. She was dehydrating pineapple, bananas and apples. the fruit gets sweeter as it is dehydrated. It was better than candy. I bet the calories could add up quickly. But I'm buying a dehydrator. She also makes beet chips! cool!!
  • katedevall
    katedevall Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    My name is Samantha and Im addicted to candy :/ but I recently bought apples instead...

Ahhhh.. I experience this dilemma everytime I go to the store..
    I don't see them putting fruit at the checkouts, they put all that delicious looking candy out there...
    But I always buy the fruit instead and weep a little in my head :/
  • AJinBirmingham
    Options
    The best I can do with fruit is put a banana, 1/2 cup milk, 1 cup frozen berries and 1/2 square of 85/90% dark chocolate in a blender and make it into a smoothie - which jacks up the calories and carbs quite a bit . . . Oh, and it's better with Twizzlers on the side.
  • soobie
    soobie Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    frozen bananas blended into an 'ice cream' with either cocoa powder or PB powder and some chopped nuts is delicious and healthy!
  • ldbuster0
    Options
    I love them both. I can eat fruits all day. I eat almost any kind, but I love me some sweets too especially candy. I have sort of slacked up on the sweets, but when I have my day, I have my day.:smile: Like today.:smile: