First ever NSV. :)

Options
So I started my weight loss journey a month and two days ago, and have been counting my calories and running the Couch to 5k Program. I am on week five of running, but repeated week 4, because I felt like I wasn't ready for runs longer than the 5 minute ones I was at last week. I do C25K MWF, with some run/walk thing TTH, and just (a few days ago) started doing 45 minutes of yoga each day as well. I was steadily losing weight at about 2lbs a week until this week, and have since gained 1 lbs, though I know that is normal.

But now for my NSV. I started out my planned incline walk on Thursday thinking I would just do my usual thing of varying my incline while walking for 30 minutes or so. I did the 5 minute warmup walk, and then got the idea to see how long I could run in one stretch, since I've been feeling worried about never making it past five minutes. I pulled up the stopwatch on my phone, and started out at a 5mph pace at a 1.5 incline. My initial goal was to make it to six minutes, as I figured I'd be dying by five minutes like usual. When I got to six, I was actually feeling okay, so I decided to push for seven. Then that turned into eight. And then I got it in my head that I really wanted to run for ten minutes. Even if it killed me. And you know what? I did it! I stopped at ten minutes three seconds, and was still able to do my cool down walk without dying. Boy was I on cloud nine. It might not seem like a lot, especially for those who have been running a long time, but just a month ago, I was huffing and puffing and doing everything I could to not give up when running one minute at a time. I am amazed how far I have come in just a month, and just had to share it with people who would understand. My husband was really excited for me, but his 135lb 5% body fat 8mph running self, though he tries, just doesn't get what a big accomplishment this is like I know you guys do. :tongue:

I am halfway to 5k. And I. WILL. GET THERE. :happy:

My next between-C25K -workout goal is to run a straight mile without stopping. I realized after I hit the ten minute mark that I was only about .25 miles away from a whole mile running. If I had noticed that before stopping that would have been my next goal, though I'm not sure I had another 2 minutes in me at that point...

It's been really amazing how this past month has gone. I've tried to do this before, and bought my treadmill almost a year ago, though nothing ever stuck and I totally lacked the drive to actually do something about my weight. I guess it's when my daughter started asking me why I was fat when her friends Mommys were so skinny (like Daddy) that gave me a big push, but whatever in this universe caused me to suddenly have the drive to really do it, I am so grateful for. I got this. :wink:

Replies

• xaMErica
    xaMErica Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Amazing! =) I know that wonderful feeling you get when you go even a little farther than you thought you could.. It makes you want to do more the next day!! Keep it up! =)
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    :drinker: From a fellow Holy crap I just ran ten minutes without dying! NSVer, way to go! And you managed it a heck of a lot sooner than I did, too.
  • brownmousemama
    brownmousemama Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I think I may push for a mile tonight,keep this amazing high going a little longer. :)
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    Outstanding! What a feeling that must be! :smile:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!