A failure?

Options
So.
I'm just completely disgusted with myself as I'm writing this,tbh.
I've been a vegetarian for a year now and it's great.i don't crave any meat except seafood...
Shrimp and salmon and tuna sandwiches,and I absolutely hate myself for it.Mostly because I dont want to be a failure and because I shouldn't be craving meat.Its horrible of me.
I feel like if I start eating it again I will be a failure even though I really want to..
What's wrong with me?
And should I, or not:(?
It's making me sick to my stomach.

Replies

• SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Why should changing your mind make you a failure?
  • Because I'm a perfectionist..:/
  • Mikkimeow
    Mikkimeow Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    You haven't done anything yet... So why would you be a failure. Are you saying that people who eat meat are already failing?
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    So.
    I'm just completely disgusted with myself as I'm writing this,tbh.
    I've been a vegetarian for a year now and it's great.i don't crave any meat except seafood...
    Shrimp and salmon and tuna sandwiches,and I absolutely hate myself for it.Mostly because I dont want to be a failure and because I shouldn't be craving meat.Its horrible of me.
    I feel like if I start eating it again I will be a failure even though I really want to..
    What's wrong with me?
    And should I, or not:(?
    It's making me sick to my stomach.

Why would eating meat make you a failure?

Is there a reason for your choice not to eat meat? Religious? Ethical? (Seriously asking)

Sometimes when you crave stuff, it's because your body needs those nutrients. Have you tried some Whey Powder or better yet some Pea Protein Powder to see if that helps with your cravings?

If it's not a religious or ethical choice to eat meat you might try a small amount of sea food. Just to get some protein.
  • hellraisedfire
    hellraisedfire Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    animals in the animal kingdom eat animals. if you're craving it, eat it.

you only get one life to live, why live it miserably?
  • d2footballJRC
    Options
    Because I'm a perfectionist..:/

Perfectionist will always disappoint themselves. Those who realize they will fail, but then improve themselves is you should strive to be. A perfectionist is actually flawed from the start, thus a perfectionist can never be a perfect thing.
  • Scott2373
    Options
    A long time ago I was very sick and couldn't keep any food down, until one day I had an intense craving for fruit cups. I rarely if ever ate fruit cups and so I wondered where this craving came from. My girlfriend (now wife) went to the store and bought me some. I ate them ravenously as I hadn't had any solid food for almost a week. Well, they stayed down and from there on I made a quick recovery. Since that day I have interpreted cravings as something my body needs or is lacking. Perhaps you are lacking or deficient in some nutrient that is contained in meat, such as certain proteins or vitamins. Don't consider it failure; give in to your cravings as long as they are HEALTHY. I'm not talking about cravings for Ding-Dongs or Hershey Bars or Pork Rinds. Try eating a small portion of meat to see how your body reacts. If you suffer no ill effects, then perhaps it was your system trying to tell you something all along. Good luck!
  • LokiOfAsgard
    LokiOfAsgard Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    It's not failing if it's your choice.

Unless you are religious or ethical about not eating meat, go for it. Meat can be healthy!

If you really don't want to, take a look at the macros you're getting (vitamins and minerals.) You may not have something in your diet that seafood does.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Benjamin Franklin also ran into this dilemma. here is some wisdom from "My Autobiography," by that man.

"I believe I have omitted mentioning that in my first Voyage from Boston, being becalm'd off Block Island, our People set about catching Cod & hawl'd up a great many. Hitherto I had stuck to my Resolution of not eating animal Food; and on this Occasion, I consider'd with my Master Tryon, the taking every Fish as a kind of unprovoked Murder, since none of them had or ever could do us any Injury that might justify the Slaughter.--All this seem'd very reasonable.--But I had formerly been a great Lover of Fish, & when this came hot out of the Frying Pan, it smelt admirably well. I balanc'd some time between Principle & inclination: till I recollected, that when the Fish were opened, I saw smaller Fish taken out of their Stomachs:--Then, thought I, if you eat one another, I don't see why we mayn't eat you. So I din'd upon Cod very heartily and continu'd to eat with other People, returning only now & then occasionally to a vegetable Diet. So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable Creature, since it enables one to find or make a Reason for every thing one has a mind to do.--"
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Because I'm a perfectionist..:/

There was only one perfect person in this world, and they nailed Him to a cross.

You aren't perfect, nobody is perfect, and you should work on why this one little thing is such a huge deal to you.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    Benjamin Franklin also ran into this dilemma. here is some wisdom from "My Autobiography," by that man.

"I believe I have omitted mentioning that in my first Voyage from Boston, being becalm'd off Block Island, our People set about catching Cod & hawl'd up a great many. Hitherto I had stuck to my Resolution of not eating animal Food; and on this Occasion, I consider'd with my Master Tryon, the taking every Fish as a kind of unprovoked Murder, since none of them had or ever could do us any Injury that might justify the Slaughter.--All this seem'd very reasonable.--But I had formerly been a great Lover of Fish, & when this came hot out of the Frying Pan, it smelt admirably well. I balanc'd some time between Principle & inclination: till I recollected, that when the Fish were opened, I saw smaller Fish taken out of their Stomachs:--Then, thought I, if you eat one another, I don't see why we mayn't eat you. So I din'd upon Cod very heartily and continu'd to eat with other People, returning only now & then occasionally to a vegetable Diet. So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable Creature, since it enables one to find or make a Reason for every thing one has a mind to do.--"

I'm getting choked up. That was beautiful.
  • Mikkimeow-no,i really dont mind what anyone else does, it's more like I personally failed

Also yes, I did start this for ethical reasons but it kind of turned into a way to control my intake easier as well
    I want to but I just can't ..it would be giving up.Plus I don't even know how to log meat or what a serving is..it's just a mess:(
  • terijoestoes
    terijoestoes Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    God made all of the food on the planet for us to eat. The account in genesis says he created wild beast and domestic beast. Those domestic beasts are cows chickens ducks turkeys pigs lamb rabbits etc. Why are you beating yourself up for craving meat? Vegetarianism isn't for everyone
  • d2footballJRC
    Options
    Mikkimeow-no,i really dont mind what anyone else does, it's more like I personally failed

Also yes, I did start this for ethical reasons but it kind of turned into a way to control my intake easier as well
    I want to but I just can't ..it would be giving up.Plus I don't even know how to log meat or what a serving is..it's just a mess:(

Don't eat it if it's for ethical reasons. Try some of the protein replace things that taste like meat.
  • LuciaLongIsland
    LuciaLongIsland Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    animals in the animal kingdom eat animals. if you're craving it, eat it.

you only get one life to live, why live it miserably?

Well stated.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    If you have a problem with how they are raised or slaughtered look into farms in the area. There are often ones with free range animals that they personally kill in a humane manner.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Why exactly shouldn't you be craving meat? You are a member of the species homo sapiens... we've been eating meat for our entire existence. Your body is hard wired to want meat.

All of that aside... I understand that some folks have ethical/moral beliefs that require them to adopt a vegan/vegetarian lifestyle. I completely understand and support that (but freely admit I don't think I could do it). But, I don't expect that such a change would be easy at all. And I certainly wouldn't label someone a failure simply because their biology and their ideology were acting in opposition to one another.

Hang in there... even if you do go pescatarian (eat seafood only) you can still reduce the amount you consume.

Also, read up on essential amino acids. Often when we crave something its because our body needs a nutrient that craving will fulfill. Make sure you are getting protein from enough different sources to ensure you are acquiring all of the essential amino acids from your diet. Perhaps that will help! Best of luck.
  • BlueObsidian
    BlueObsidian Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Shrimp and salmon and tuna sandwiches,and I absolutely hate myself for it.

So start calling yourself a pescatarian. Problem solved - if you eat seafood but no other meat, you are a perfect pescatarian.
  • shellywillmann
    shellywillmann Posts: 22 Member
    Options

This is very enlightening to me. I had heard that Ben Franklin was a vegetarian, but I hadn't read this before. Makes me think. I try to be vegan for the most part. When I occasionally eat cheese I don't beat myself up for it. It's not a religion to me. I avoid animal products because I think we are herbivorous creations. I don't think we are naturally omnivores, but that's another story. however, after reading this I think that any vegetarian who wants to be just to the animas should only eat other omnivores because they aren't such innocent animals as it seems. Perhaps we should just leave the herbivores alone, and do unto others as they would have done to us.... a little golden rule thrown int there.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options

You are my new HERO, LUV THIS SO MUCH