GYM vs. WORKOUT DVD'S

Options
So, after trying my hand at each option to get fit....both killing myself at the gym for an hour a day vs. popping in a workout DVD at home (my collection includes: ZUMBA, TURBOJAM, HIP HOP ABS, and BIGGEST LOSER CARDIO MAX) for 20-30 minutes.....I have concluded that I get a WAY better workout at home! I was doing some serious cardio on the treadmill and elliptical, then strength training with the weight machines while at the gym and did not even come CLOSE to losing the weight or inches that I have now lost doing the workout DVD's at home. I was just curious to know what you guys' take on it is, and have you had more dramatic results with one or the other as your fitness routine?? I would love to hear your feedback or success stories : )

Replies

• spickard34
    spickard34 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I get a way better workout at home with DVDs I think because I do not care if I look silly cuz I'm at home. I quit the gym because it is 30mins from my home and I think I have saved money and got a better workout. You just have to be motivated enough to do it at home.
  • assilembob
    assilembob Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    To each their own. I hate working out at home. I love the atmosphere at the gym and it motivates me to work harder. If I'm at home, I'm ADD bunny and I get distracted or lazy and won't do my workout. I get super bored super fast when working out at home. I don't have anything to watch, compare myself to, etc. But my Mom is the exact opposite. She hates the people, and would much rather put in a video. So I have seen both sides of the slice and know where each is coming from.
  • liftingheavy
    liftingheavy Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Gym vs.Home, I say do whatever works best for you. You are doing fantastic at home so stick with it.

I do better at gym ONLY because I have dogs and you can't do a sit up with a dog. You lay down and they come and lick your face, paw your legs, and bark because they think my exercise is playtime for them.

Best!
  • Larisonlj
    Larisonlj Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I have had success with the at home DVDs and am not interested in having to go to the gym. At home I can hop out of bed, feed the puppies, get dressed, pop in my DVD and workout. I don't have to drive to a gym and it doesn't matter how I look, which is easier to stay motivated.
    I've done a couple of Biggest Losers, several Jillian Michaels, then ChaLean Extreme, and now P90X.
    It's home workouts for me! :tongue:
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    If you are comparing cardio on its own to strength and cardio you are also comparing fat and muscle loss to just fat loss. I prefer at home to, but still do strength training
  • mfanyafujo
    mfanyafujo Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I liked the gym when I had a dedicated workout buddy to spot me and motivate me. Otherwise, it's just an expensive place to workout. Of course, I can meet my goals at home or at the gym, which is something that's different for everyone. At home, I'm loving my Rushfit DVDs and my heavy bag.
  • Larisonlj
    Options

I do better at gym ONLY because I have dogs and you can't do a sit up with a dog. You lay down and they come and lick your face, paw your legs, and bark because they think my exercise is playtime for them.

That's funny. Mine are usually pretty good at going and laying down and letting mommy get her workout in, occasionally I'll have to boot one off my yoga mat or they'll move when they see the kickboxing start. :laugh:
  • lynn_hickey
    lynn_hickey Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Gym vs.Home, I say do whatever works best for you. You are doing fantastic at home so stick with it.

Best!

HA!! I have that problem too, doing yoga with the dog in the room! lol

That being said though, I do way better at home than the gym. It's mostly a timing issue for me - I can workout while breakfast or supper is cooking, and after the kids go to bed. Plus if I look like a dumbass doing what I'm doing, no one is around to see :)
  • droneofvelvet
    droneofvelvet Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I do both.

I like the cardio machines at the gym, but I also like my zumba games and dvds.

I am really into the Leah Sarago's Ballet Body and I downloaded all her workouts and am trying her periodization program.

Love DVDS, but theres nothing like going to the gym when you want to get outside the house, but do something productive.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Basically that means you were doing it wrong.

All those sexy people you see in working out in those dvds? by and large, they built those bodies in the gym, not doing fitness videos. Jillian ain't looking like that from no 30 Day Shread. Shawn T didn't get his abs from Hip Hop Abs.

DVDs can be helpful and have their place and outside factors like time, money, knowledge and motivation can make DVDs the better choice in some instances, but never get it twisted. Gym>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>fitness DVDs
  • earlswimsuit
    Options
    Personally the gym because you can do push ups, squats etc there as well as added equipment... but i hear INSANITY gives you a real work out.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    So, after trying my hand at each option to get fit....both killing myself at the gym for an hour a day vs. popping in a workout DVD at home (my collection includes: ZUMBA, TURBOJAM, HIP HOP ABS, and BIGGEST LOSER CARDIO MAX) for 20-30 minutes.....I have concluded that I get a WAY better workout at home! I was doing some serious cardio on the treadmill and elliptical, then strength training with the weight machines while at the gym and did not even come CLOSE to losing the weight or inches that I have now lost doing the workout DVD's at home. I was just curious to know what you guys' take on it is, and have you had more dramatic results with one or the other as your fitness routine?? I would love to hear your feedback or success stories : )

Strength training using machines = fail.

But also, ellipticals and treadmills = fail. If you're not using free weights you're not seeing the results you should be.

The most dramatic results I had were as a result of good nutrition habits. Exercise is only a supplement to that. I train mainly with suspension training.
  • Edithrenee
    Edithrenee Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I work out at home, i exercise harder then i ever did at the gym, even in an aerobics class. I have to say when i was 24 i lost a ton of weight with dvds. I am now doing Cathe Friedrich and she is advanced and very hard. I dont think youd get a workout like hers at a gym and yes i tried zumba and all kinds of workouts at the gym last year in search of a good way to lose this middle age spread adn nope no class i went to was as hard as Cathe.. that includes Les Mils pump. It was fun but not really alot of verity in classes to me. But it is not as hard as a Cathe workout. She has step aerobis to metabolic workouts to HIIT to Tabatas, to weight lifting heavy to light weights high reps.. she even has spin dvds with great music!! she has it all !! love love to workout at home.
  • dsylam1982
    dsylam1982 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the advice and information guys it is very appreciated and I love to hear each individual success! : )
  • liftingheavy
    Options
    :laugh:

That's funny. Mine are usually pretty good at going and laying down and letting mommy get her workout in, occasionally I'll have to boot one off my yoga mat or they'll move when they see the kickboxing start. :laugh:
  • liftingheavy
    Options
    :laugh:

See, you have considerate dogs, what dog wouldn't head for the hills when they see a roundabout kick? I move over myself at the gym. Smart booboos. What is embarrasing is that I'm a dog trainer. I never let my clients meet my dogs because I would be out of business. We always spoil our own.

Happy to meet another dog lover always, and good luck!

Woof,

Vickey
  • RonnieLodge
    RonnieLodge Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    After 8 years of going to gyms all over the place, last month I ditched the gym membership and started doing the JM 30 Day Shred.

Within a week I noticed way more definition in my arms and shoulders, 4 weeks later I have gotten results that I hadn't managed to get with a 45 min 5x a week gym routine that was at least 1/2 cardio, 1/2 weights.

Admittedly, I can't overlook these results are probably more due to me paying attention to my eating than to the workouts - you can't work your way out of eating too much.

But now my workout routine is done in 30mins each day. Sure beats the 45mins plus 30mins travel with two bags that I had to do for the gym.

So for me, workout DVDs win.

I bought the 5 DVD JM box set. :D
  • Larisonlj
    Options
    [/quote]
    What is embarrasing is that I'm a dog trainer. I never let my clients meet my dogs because I would be out of business.
    [/quote]

That is hilarious! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :heart:
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    For me, home workouts are what wins. But not DVDs. A few sets of dumbbells and a pullup bar will _not_ get you the same results as gym equipment. FACT. It is simply not possible. And I don't mean isolation machines. If you go to the gym and head over to the isolation machine section and then the treadmill or elliptical then yes you're going to fail, you won't see the results you want. You need to be using free weights, heavy ones. Head over to the section with the heavy weights. Do your workouts there rather than on machines.

I do workouts at home with a suspension trainer, sandbags that go up to 160 lbs of sand, medicine balls, stability ball, jump rope, and agility ladder.