Looking for friends, maybe a little encouragement

Options
I've been lurking in the forums for a few days now and finally got up the guts to introduce myself so here goes, before I change my mind.

I'm a 27 year old mom of 2 (one special needs), step mom to 2 more. I'm a full time college student and part time employee. I'm an active member in the Society for Creative Anachonisms...I'm also more than twice the weight I should be for my height. I have about 150 pounds to lose but I'd be happy to get down below 200.

I've been a trend dieter in the past, trying lots of different things but having a REALLY hard time sticking to whatever I try because I'm so insanely busy. I also work in the food industry at a deli. Being around food all the time and being short on time means I'm a serious snacker. Fast food is my worst point, I realized today that I've been eating out every day and I want to do something to change that. It will save me money and calories. I really think it might be a problem (Can you even be addicted to fast food?). But where do I start? Being so busy all the time, it's almost impossible for me to cook more than once or twice a week. I know I need to start thinking outside of the box, for me, for my kids, for my future, but that's hard to do when I am so busy I can barely think.

In the past, when I have explained my situation, people tell me "join a gym" or "just eat salads when you eat out" but they don't understand. Salads are fine and all but they always leave me feeling hungry. And when would I have time to join a gym? Part of me expects to find the same responses here but I'm going to give this place a chance.

So, what about the rest of you? Anyone else out there have problems giving up fast food or finding the time to eat something other than junk?

Replies

• amberpitz
    amberpitz Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I would love to have you add me as a friend and help you get started on your journey. I struggle and have been eating out lately..trying to start fresh now though..It is tough and yes I am sure there is an addiction to fast food...besides the plain ol convinience but changing to home meals will change so much ...I am sure of that. I can try to help you with ideas. My name is Amber...message me whenever you like :)
  • itsmelynn15
    Options
    I know this may be easier said then done but sometimes you just have to tell yourself, "enough is enough, I need time for me"! I plan my meals a few days in advance that way it gives me time to prepare them so all I have to do is grab and go on that day.
    You are definately on the right track because you are here :happy:

My advice is to use the phone app and whenever you put something in your mouth log it!!!
  • chitownsweetie2
    chitownsweetie2 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I too had a problem with LOVING fast food far too much. It was because I didnt know how to cook and prepare meals. When I tipped the scale at 315 was when I realized that something has change. I started asking friends for their recipes on some simple meals. I soon started making things like brown rice, broccoli and chicken breast. Simple and quick. I watched youtube videos to learn how to make other things. I still have a long way to go, but taking a chance and changing a little bit, has helped keep me out of the fast food joints. The journey of a thousand miles takes the first step. Since you seem to be lacking time, you will have to make time to cook food. I typically cook on Sundays, for Mon, tue, wed and thurs...yes leftovers!! But it helps me.. You dont have to change everything overnight, and its not going to be easy. Each day try something different to improve your health. Drink more water, eat more fruit and eat more veggies. Make that your short term goal, just to add those things to your current diet. Then after a week, make a goal of perhaps cooking 3 days, and fast food just 2....Start somewhere, every little bit helps!!!! Eventually when you start seeing changes, you will want to do more!!!
  • lolablitz
    lolablitz Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I truly believe eating out is addictive. I think part of it is the high sodium/fat content and I think chemically broken down sugars like high fructose corn syrup also play a big part. Take baby steps. First cut out eating out. Eat a lot of calories so you don't feel deprived-id give it a week. Commit yourself to one month of zero meals out. You can bring stuff from home. Then cut out corn syrup (its in a lot of processed foods, so read labels). I think it will be more helpful to retrain your taste buds than to jump into a diet. You'll be surprised after one month of how overly salty and too-sweet foods taste when you eat out when youve gone without them for a month. I actually dislike the way McDonalds, etc taste now and save going out to eat for when we can go to a really good local restaurant. Hope this helps! I used to love Culvers butterburgers but now they actually gross me out. As for salads, I only eat them as a first course, I don't think they work for meals (but I do like to eat a big plate of steamed or roasted veggies for lunch every onve in awhile).
  • divinefidelity
    divinefidelity Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I, too, am a junk food addict.

I have gone months at a time, eating out 5 or 6 times a week. Not only is it unhealthy, it costs SO MUCH MONEY! I honestly get cravings for the burgers and the fries and the soda...and I cannot get it out of my head. It's crazy. It seems like most people don't understand. They tell me I'm making it up or that I just need to apply myself, but I honestly feel that this must be what it feels like to be addicted to drugs. Even things that remind me of junk food (bowling, going to the movies, hanging out with friends) can be triggers for my cravings...and until I get that fast food, I just can't get it out of my head.

Basically, yes you can be addicted to fast food. There are several articles out there comparing fast food to drugs, and many books on the subject. When you eat fast food, dopamine is released in your brain, and then you start to crave more fast food so you will have the dopamine release again because that causes pleasure.

http://www.thatsfit.com/2010/03/30/fast-food-is-like-heroin-studies-find/
    http://www.banzhaf.net/docs/newsci.html

You already added me, and now I'm definitely glad that you did...because this is something that I really struggle with. I honestly suggest doing some research on the topic. The more knowledge you have, the more you will be able to fight the cravings...because you will understand them better. :)

I HIGHLY recommend this book on the topic, especially if you've got ADHD or ADD....

http://www.amazon.com/The-End-Overeating-Insatiable-American/dp/B004NSVE32/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1361072567&sr=8-1&keywords=the+end+of+overeating+taking+control+of+the+insatiable+american+appetite
  • lolablitz
    lolablitz Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Watch Food, Inc too. Its on Netflix instant if u have it. It should help :)
  • divinefidelity
    divinefidelity Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Watch Food, Inc too. Its on Netflix instant if u have it. It should help :)

Yes, definitely. After watching Food Inc....I didn't eat out for months. I should probably go watch it again, because I must have forgotten how gross it was. >.<
  • ec143810
    Options
    Wow, guys! Thanks for all the good info.

The worst part of it is that I LOVE to cook! I do historical re-enactment (Roman 1st century AD) and one of the primary things I used to do was re-creationist cooking. I no longer have the time but I'm starting to get back into it as time allows. Medieval and classical cooks didn't have access to all the processed fatty foods that we do today so my goal for the next 30 days is to try and make whole, organic minimally processed foods a regular part of my diet.

Maybe I can cook meals ahead of time or have "kits" made up in the fridge... Eating out is a social thing for me, too, as my friends (all of them heavy) eat out daily too. It will be hard to give up that time with them but I don't see as I have a choice. I should know better, having worked fast food for so many years. I think that's how I got started...I gained 60 pounds while working at McDonalds...
  • mom2handh1975
    mom2handh1975 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    So you don't have time to work out? That's fine. I've seen it said on MFP about 1000 times that losing weight is 80% diet and 20% exercise. Start with logging every bite that you put in your mouth. Drink lots of water. Set your goals to lose 1 pound per week at first. Don't go nuts and drop your calories to 1200 because you'll be ravenous and binge. The only way to succeed is to take the first step. If you need encouragement from someone who never thought she could do it, you can add me. I'm a mom of 2 and the wife of a disabled veteran. I know busy, too. You can absolutely do this! Just start. :bigsmile:
  • karensdream
    karensdream Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    All the above have given you some great advice. I would encourage you to be serious about planning meals ahead. If you know what you are going to fix and have the ingredients there, then there is less temptation to go the easy fast food route. And with planning,some things can be made the night before or ahead of time and frozen., I even know of people who assemble whole meals and freeze the ingredients, then just thaw and pop in the oven. Another recommendation I would give would be to invest in a slow cooker. They are a god-send for busy folks, and there are tons of recipes out on the internet. You can usually assemble most crockpot meals ahead of time the night before, and turn it on in the morning and go, Then when you get home you have your dinner ready.
  • samanthachen
    samanthachen Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I know this may be easier said then done but sometimes you just have to tell yourself, "enough is enough, I need time for me"! I plan my meals a few days in advance that way it gives me time to prepare them so all I have to do is grab and go on that day.
    You are definately on the right track because you are here :happy:

My advice is to use the phone app and whenever you put something in your mouth log it!!!

That is actually what I fell in love with. 10 minutes of signing up and using the mobile app, and I found my problem area! haha My breakfast was too big (though supposed to be the largest meal of the day); it only left me with like 700 calories for the whole day.
  • roblow65
    roblow65 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Hi, my name is Roberta. I also have a little more than 100 lbs to lose. I'm in my 40's now, but I was working a full time job in my late 20's, while going to school full time and raising 3 kids, 12, 10, and 8 at the time, and also taking care of my mother-in-law who had late stage Alzheimers. My husband had "the day shift" with her, I had the nights while he went to work. I was a manger at a fast food place and it was always easier to eat at work everyday than to bring something healthy. Late at night I ate after my kids and mother-in-law went to bed. I told myself it was to keep up my energy, and it was always easier to stop at other fast food places and eat in the car since the school I was going to was about 45 minutes away from home. I know how it is trying to get out of the rut. I'm not in school now and my kids are grown, I'm happily married but I'm still in the grab whatever's quick food rut. I tried this site awhile back and lost 30 some odd lbs. Than I lost my younger sister to breast cancer ( she was 34), 3 yrs after I lost my older sister to the same. I gave up for awhile but now I'm back trying to make it stick this time. If you'd like we can be mfp buddies and support each other. :flowerforyou:
  • styledsky
    styledsky Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    If you only have time to cook one or two days a week (and I know the feeling) then invest in some good freezer containers, a vac pack machine and cook BIG. Amazing what you can do with a large batch of a base recipe like a ragu or a vegetable soup. It's what I do.

As for being around food all day, well, that one I have less experience with. I do know that I used to eat all kinds of crap but I mostly stopped even wanting it after about 2 weeks on here. I say to myself when thinking about food "no wasted calories" and I pick items (including the fun stuff) that fits that plan. What I can't fit into that plan - either from the store or if I make myself, remains off the list except on special occassions - if I go out somewhere I budget ahead of time for the bonus calorie use.

Hope this helps you out!
  • kkallas1
    kkallas1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi Im Kristy
    Im a mom of two girls divorced for 6 years, college student and full time teacher.
    I weighed up to 170 and am 5 feet tall. Id like to get down to 125-120.
    Id love to get married again but feel my weight gets in the way.
    I eat out everyday but the weekends.
    This website really helps me watch my calories. I just don't eat french fries anymore.. and I cut down on the bread when I eat out. i do a lot of chili, salads, grilled chicken....
    I have begun using a slow cooker and keeping fresh fruit in the house to make smoothies. I just bout protein powder thinking I would use it as a meal replacement.
    I would love the encouragement as well and need friends here as well.
  • FatIsNotGood4Me
    FatIsNotGood4Me Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    You are a very busy person, have you tried slow cooking food? I sometimes left the slow cooker on before to go to work then it's ready when I get back from, you could try freezing some food to see if you like the flavor after, you could chop your veggies for omelets, mine veggies last 3 days chopped in glass containers...
    I also think fast food is addicting, and it's hard to stop waiting it but its not impossible to quit, fast food makes us sick, in the long run is not good for humans.
  • shaunty1024
    Options
    Hello my name is Shalonda and I like your weight lead, and I want to know how you did the ruller and how was you able to change the the ruler to what you have. Pl,ease email me and or respond to me and let me know....because I dont know if I even posted it right. Thanks
    Shaunty
  • dorothybeans
    Options
    Hey, I would like to help and encourage you all if you can help me too. I have found one thing that helps me is taking 1/2 a day and cook meals ahead and put them in containers for each day so all you have to do is grap the bowl and go. I even make up snack baggies ahead of time, with nuts and raisins, celery, cucs, etc. and have apples and single serve yogurt so it's ready to go. I love fast food too, but every time I go past one I keep saying to myself, 'fatty food not for me...fatty food not for me'...HA HA or don't carry any cash or hide the bank card. I need to exercise more and need a swift kick in the rear to go to gym. Hope some of these ideas help you. Will be waiting to hear from you all on some encouragement. Have a good day!!
  • wldrose75
    Options
    I spend 10 min in the evenings planning, preparing and packing my breakfast, lunch and snacks (2) to take with me to work the next day. I too don't cook so I buy lots of things pre-made/ready to eat. Breakfast is lowfat cottage cheese and fruit, greek yogurt and fresh fruit, or a Jimmy Dean Delights sandwich. Lunch is 4 oz meat (deli meat, pre-cooked fajita strips, etc) with 2-3 cups steamed veggies (birds eye steam fresh, nuke em for a few and throw in a tupperware). Snacks are an apple, pre-cut and washed brocolie, cauliflower and/or baby carrots w/ 2 Tbsp ranch, a lowfat cheese stick, 1/4 cup almonds (try Emerald Cocoa or Emerald Cinnamon). Also, I always crave something sweet after lunch so now I carry gum (Extra mint chocolate or Extra rootbeer float). My biggest saving grace is those snacks. If I have them there and ready, I eat them when I get hungry instead of grabbing whatever is handy out of the vending machine.
  • MaryAnn678
    MaryAnn678 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Giving up fast foods for me was easy once I realized how horrible they really are, no taste, way too many calories, and the breads on the burgers were way to mushy for me, give me my whole wheat any day. Actually once I started to eat healthier and make my lunches for work, and eat real foods, I started to enjoy the food I was eating and it would stay with me much longer than the burger that I was watching everyone else eat. There is a cafeteria at my work and the food is not that appealing to me, sure it would be easier to purchase the food there instead of make my lunch but, I like to enjoy what I eat and not just eat to eat anymore so I make my own lunches, eat what I enjoy and make it foods that will stick with me until dinner, and still have calories left for dinner. But you have to be creative so it doesn't become boring. Time wise, yes it does take time but if you can make it while you are making dinner, save some dinner for the next day for lunch. Dinner time is the best time for family time, don't skip it or ruin it with unhealthy foods/ fast foods, make time for it, your health and family will thank you for it. Also look up quick healthy recipes online; ex; allrecipes.com
  • LinDiSm26262
    LinDiSm26262 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Hi: This is long but I wanted to share what I've learned about cooking smart. I hope this will help some.

I work full time, take care of my disabled 34 year old son, and help at my church. So, I'm very busy too. Up until a couple months ago I had a second job for over four years and my time was very limited in the kitchen so we ate fast food a lot.
    I didn't start trying to lose weight again until the last few weeks. I've tried different plans but gave up because I wasn't losing fast enough, so I just quit trying.

I've learned a lot from watching my son over the past seven months. You see, he became disabled about 5 years ago and hardly ever leaves the house. He was 225, 6'4", and very muscular from the job he had. Between the medicines he has to take and his sedentary lifestyle he gained to 440 pounds. He could hardly walk from his bedroom to the kitchen and I could see he wasn't going to live long if it continued this way. My prayer was answered when he announced one day that he had to lose weight because he was killing himself.

He began his program that day in July and has lost 68 pounds so far. He doesn't exercise because of his condition and asked me to help him by cooking healthy for him. He told me what he wanted to eat and over the last seven months I have learned to plan, shop, and cook healthy. Once in a while when I can't get home to cook for him, I always have salad, eggs, chicken, fish, and vegetables all ready where he can put a quick meal together for himself.

He is my inspiration. If he can do it with what he has to go through, then I can too. And, you can do it too. There's no excuse. I'm just sorry I didn't begin when he did.

First of all, most of the time I only cook three days a week. On those days, I make extra and freeze some and put the rest in containers in the fridge so there will always be something for breakfast and lunch for him. I usually roast a lot of chicken and boil a dozen eggs at the same time. Some of it is used for dinners and the rest for lunches. Sometimes I buy a roasted chicken from Costco and that will be for dinner and some leftovers for lunch.

When I shop I usually buy bagged lettuces, vegetables (some already cut up because it saves time), fruits, nuts, low sugar peanut butter, yogurt, whole wheat tortillas, Orrowheat wholewheat sandwich thins, salsa, canned low salt beans, canned low salt tomatoes, low fat cheeses, chicken, fish, ground turkey, garden burgers, turkey burgers, deli turkey, low salt ham, spices, low fat milk, instant oatmeal, whole wheat cereals, low fat salad dressings, low sugar/low salt marinara sauce, and Dr Atkins protein bars.

He eats a boiled egg, low carb yogurt and sometimes a piece of fruit in the morning. Lunch is salad, cheese, turkey or chicken, a little black beans, and low fat dressing. A piece of fruit, or protein bar, or string cheese, or some nuts for snack to get through the day until dinner. Then when I get home I grab something I've taken out of the freezer that morning or use some kind of meat I have in the refrigerator ready to go and warm it up it the oven or microwave while I steam some mixed vegetables or broccoli. Sometimes, when I have a little extra time I will take cut up carrots, potatoes, onions, and garlic that I have in the refrigerator and I put them on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil, sprinkle olive oil, a little salt/pepper and dill on top and toss, bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes until tender. Yummy! Sometimes I bake a potato or sweet potato in the microwave while the meat is heating and always have lots of vegetables for him.

I double my homemade chili and freeze some as well as homemade chicken vegetable soup to use for dinner and lunches. When he eats this meal he always fixes a nice size salad with low fat dressing to go with it. Turkey speghetti is easy to double, chicken or turkey tacos or burritos...save some of the meat for a salad topper the next day or wrap in a whole wheat tortilla with a little cheese. Turkey meat loaf is easy to make and freeze. Chicken stir fry with some brown rice is a good dinner and good leftovers for lunch the next day. I don't know where you live but I buy a lot of my vegetables from Trader Joe's. I think they have the best flavor if you're buying frozen.

If you plan your meals for a week, grocery shop, and organize everything you will be able to fix meals quickly and have everything in the fridge to grab in the morning for breakfast and lunch. The crock pot is another way to save time. Before you go to bed put everything in the crock and into the refrigerator. The next morning just plug it in and put it on low and it's ready when you get home. Always fix enough for a second meal and in no time you will notice that you're only really cooking a few times a week. It does take writing everything down and planning ahead of time.

If you eat enough throughout the day maybe you will be feel full enough that you won't crave so much fast food. I used to pick up fast food a lot. It is very addicting. I've had to wean my way off fast food and sodas. I still eat out sometimes but try to make the best choices I can.

Good Luck!