Low carb anyone?

Options
I'm following the Atkins plan, although I have tried other low carb plans also. Anybody out there doing the same and succeeding?

Replies

• d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    I'm following the Atkins plan, although I have tried other low carb plans also. Anybody out there doing the same and succeeding?

I have in the past. I had great success on a paleo/low carb combo route.
  • akp4Him
    akp4Him Posts: 227
    Options
    I lost 90 pounds doing low carb (Atkins)
  • mwooderson
    mwooderson Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I've never done Atkins because of the high fat limited nutrient criteria, but low carbing it has worked for me in the past. I feel great on it and am getting ready to start again tomorrow.
  • mwooderson
    mwooderson Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    My son has done paleo for months and looks absolutely fabulous!!!
  • Spook_Nuke_Em
    Spook_Nuke_Em Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Low carb but not fatty proteins and insanity worked great for me.
  • SwimFan1981
    SwimFan1981 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    I have done Atkins in the past and have lost...gained it all back once I started earthing a healthy balanced diet.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    LOWER carb....here....
  • pjgreen0830
    pjgreen0830 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to count carbs and keep it under 25 grams per day, per doctors orders. I just started about 3 weeks ago counting carbs and have lost 10 pounds so far. I did it a few years ago and lost 50 pounds. As soon as I quit logging and counting what I was eating, I gained it back. This time I've added exercise to the mix.
  • nancycaregiver
    nancycaregiver Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Been doing Atkins almost a year. Lost 68 pounds. Plan on doing it for life!!
  • bearii
    bearii Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm on a Dr directed plan which is basically South Beach - 35-40 net carbs/day. Net carbs are calculated by taking total carbs and subtracting fiber. I have done Atkins and had great success but I find I like the South Beach approach better, seems more balanced and allows for more veggies. I've lost 54lbs so far in 82 days.

I'm a bit fanatical though. I put my goals into MFP and do not exceed the calorie allotment recommended by MFP for that target. In addition I do not eat any calories I gain by exercising. I log everything, every day. If I suspect something will take me over my carb/calorie limits for the day I do NOT eat it period. If I have any doubts about something I check it on the MFP app on my smart phone BEFORE eating. That has helped me avoid disaster many times. For example, who knew a chicken caesar at a popular chain restaurant could possibly have 850 calories!!!! Yikes.

Some folks can get by without being so strict. I know myself, if I let myself slip once it will start a slippery slope that will lead to big trouble. In addition, by being so strict I'm truly finding that for the first time I'm really retraining my body on how much food I actually need to eat. Huge difference.

Good luck! If you have any questions feel free to send me a message.
  • Thedij
    Thedij Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Yep! Started the new year just counting calories, per MFP, then about the 3rd week of January I started doing Atkins, but I'm staying within the MFP calorie recommendation. I'm done my 2 weeks Induction phase and staying in Induction. My reward is up to 1 oz. of nuts per day, but they are included in my carbs for the day. MFP sure makes it easy to count carbs, fiber & protein. So far so good. Still got 20 pounds to go, but on the right track.
  • toodloo
    toodloo Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I do!! I'm basically on the South Beach Diet + MFP calorie restrictions. I honestly feel healthiest when I don't eat carbs, ESPECIALLY white carbs like potatoes and rice. I sometimes mix in some whole wheat stuff and do eat fruit. It works and I have so much energy!