Please tell me I'm not the only one who does this

Options
Whenever I lose a little bit of weight I start being careless with what I eat. Instead of seeing it as a motivating factor, it's like a green light to "reward" myself or think I can get away with it because I'm losing weight. So. Stupid. Like tonight - my pants are a little looser and without thinking I almost started pigging out on my kiddo's V-day treat bag. I don't know which is worse: losing 8 pounds and thinking I can eat whatever I want or thinking about Bogarting my kid's V-day candy.

Beth

Replies

• hope643
    hope643 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    i do that too. I hate it. bc then i end up not making any progress at all.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I did do it, now I buy myself music, a book, a game, clothes, something not edible.
  • nancycaregiver
    nancycaregiver Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Get a jar and write "REWARD" on it. Every time you lose a pound put a predetermined amount of money in it ($5-$10, whatever you can afford). When you lose 10 pounds, take the money out and reward yourself with non edible reward, like a new outfit, shoes, workout clothes...) then start again for the next 10 pounds. While you are watching the dollars grow in the jar, be thinking about you may want. When you get there you will be so excited about it, hopefully your kids will get to keep their candy! Goid luck!

P. S. And, no, you are not the only one! It's a mind game!
  • hope643
    hope643 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    That's a really good idea. :-)
  • Dicecatt
    Options
    That is a great idea.

What I do is make reward goals when I've lost a certain amount. When I reach 50 pounds, I'm getting a tatoo:)
  • MumOfADuo
    MumOfADuo Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Whenever I lose a little bit of weight I start being careless with what I eat. Instead of seeing it as a motivating factor, it's like a green light to "reward" myself or think I can get away with it because I'm losing weight. So. Stupid. Like tonight - my pants are a little looser and without thinking I almost started pigging out on my kiddo's V-day treat bag. I don't know which is worse: losing 8 pounds and thinking I can eat whatever I want or thinking about Bogarting my kid's V-day candy.

Beth

Oh TRUST me...this will be a huge thread!!! You are NOT the only one....mine is so totally mental...for some reason, I start to lose weight and either get cocky and start to 'play the game' or I am truly afraid of being happy and healthy so I sabotage myself...been feeling GREAT about myself, getting down to numbers I havent seen in a while but now its been about 2 weeks of TOTALLY being off track...so I GET it......gotta work my way thru this.....
  • MumOfADuo
    MumOfADuo Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Get a jar and write "REWARD" on it. Every time you lose a pound put a predetermined amount of money in it ($5-$10, whatever you can afford). When you lose 10 pounds, take the money out and reward yourself with non edible reward, like a new outfit, shoes, workout clothes...) then start again for the next 10 pounds. While you are watching the dollars grow in the jar, be thinking about you may want. When you get there you will be so excited about it, hopefully your kids will get to keep their candy! Goid luck!

P. S. And, no, you are not the only one! It's a mind game!
    Great idea Nancy!!!!!
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Yup. I've spent the last two weeks trying not to do it.
  • roblow65
    roblow65 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I tend to quit after someone notices and tells me I'm starting to look really good, not when females do it, it's usually when a guy does it. I like the attention, I don't know why I do it.
  • irishblonde2011
    irishblonde2011 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I remember once seeing the quote...
    I'm not a dog I don't reward myself with treats lol
    I like treating myself to getting my hair done,manicure,pedicures etc.

The jar is good idea too :)
  • brownmousemama
    brownmousemama Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    That is a great idea.

What I do is make reward goals when I've lost a certain amount. When I reach 50 pounds, I'm getting a tatoo:)

Heyyy, this is my plan too! I've decided once I reach my goal weight (which is actually 145 not 135, my ticker is wrong) I am going to finally get the big side tattoo I've wanted for a long time but have been to chubby to get. :)
    Though, that isn't to say that I won't be getting a tattoo before then, I need to finish the outline I have had for almost a year. Tattoos are expensive!
  • wldrose75
    Options
    I so do this. Its how I've gained my weight (and then some) back every single time. It seems like my brain is programmed around food. Do something good, reward myself with food. Having a crappy day, comfort myself with food.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,688 Member
    Options
    Me too! I reached my goal weight then decided to eat over 2000 calories the last two days.
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    Idk why.. i guess maybe because ive always had really high self esteem even when i was big. but i never felt i needed to reward myself. My husband forced me to get my hair done just lately & it was strange! LOL... i dont even cut my hair but like once every 2 years.. i just dont do those things for myself. I dont need them, im not materialistic at ALL. I was always VERY happy & content in who i was & where i was in my life. Rewards never worked in anything i did.. i wasnt "reward motivated" even as a child. My mother even said bribery didnt work for potty training! LOL! I did it when i was ready, which happened to be at an early age!

I agree its a mind game, but its also mind-set. How can you ask someone else to believe in you, when you dont believe in yourself? Give yourself the benefit of the doubt! trust and believe in yourself! Thats how I quit smoking, and how im losing weight! YOU CAN DO THIS! I have faith in you! Have a little in yourself! How you feel about yourself goes a LONG way! :flowerforyou:
  • Dicecatt
    Options
    That is a great idea.

Heyyy, this is my plan too! I've decided once I reach my goal weight (which is actually 145 not 135, my ticker is wrong) I am going to finally get the big side tattoo I've wanted for a long time but have been to chubby to get. :)
    Though, that isn't to say that I won't be getting a tattoo before then, I need to finish the outline I have had for almost a year. Tattoos are expensive!

It has been years since I've gotten one so I have no idea of the cost...I want one I think on my foot, I want an Ankh with four points in the color of my four children's birthstones. I've been to Egypt and wanted an Ankh ever since! I figure that is an amazing incentive. For my final weigh in I'm going to get my wedding ring fixed, I had to have it cut off, my finger got too big:(
  • lambchoplewis
    Options
    I like the money reward. I am at my goal weight and it just dawned on me that I can reward myself each week that I maintain!!! I can then look forward to a new item of clothing or a mani/pedi. I need some motivation NOT to go back up on scales!!
  • stsd2013
    Options
    I do that too and that is my problem. Once I lose weight,. YOu start saying well a littler her won't matter or I can eat this it won't matter or that. IT ALL MATTERS, because a year later and 35lbs later...it all mattered because it all adds up. Thats the part I want to conquer is to change that way of thinking because I don't reverting back to old habits when I feel better about myself, because then I feel worse again.
  • nomoremuffintop42
    nomoremuffintop42 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    yup i always sabotage myself that way...doing better this time around with less cravings since i gave up wheat but normally as soon as i lose a few pounds i get careless and think I can eat what i want..your not alone.
  • chelledawg14
    chelledawg14 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I soooo started doing this at the end of last year. I was down 54 lbs and held it from Sept - two weeks before Christmas & thought "wow, I have done so well, I won't watch so much over the holidays". End result - gained 9 lbs, updated my weight on MFP to reflect the gain and feel like a loser everytime I see my ticker. I keep kidding myself that I can go over by this or that everyday because I'll still not be as heavy as I used to, blah blah blah.... I said that to myself as I ate all five pieces of chocolate that hubby gave me on Valentine's day IN ONE SITTING! Every day I tell myself tomorrow I start over, like today I was going to walk outside early in the morning like I used to do, but it snowed overnight & the windchill is in single digits so my day now feels blown. Can't seem to get back into the groove.... I've also missed zumba classes for five weeks now. Hubby said last year when I started this, if I lost the weight I wanted that we would go on a cruise. I just booked that cruise for March 2014 and now I keep playing the mind game of "I have a year and two weeks" to lose my minimum goal of 28 more lbs" but REALLY aiming for 45 more.... We just gotta fight smart with our inner evil food craving selves!!
  • BldHny2002
    BldHny2002 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    THIS IS ME.

Yesterday, I was (maybe still am...) 178.3lbs. My first goal weight is 175... A friend was in from out of town last night.... And last night I had a slice of pizza, 1/3a plate of nachos, 1/3 a piece of peanut butter cheesecake, a beer I've never heard of, 2 Guinness, a whole bag of Crispy Minis... I'm insanely bloated today (understandable) and I'm terrified to get out of bed and step on the scale...