Just getting started

Options
Hi,
I'm just getting started on this weight-loss and healthier me journey. I had been somewhat overweight all of my life, and in college, my "freshman fifteen" turned into "freshman fifty." I love food and I hate exercise. Over the years my weight has kept going up.

I had tried half-heartedly in the past to lose weight and just become healthier, but it never lasted. Diabetes runs in both sides of my family, and I always assumed that I would someday be diabetic.

On my last doctor's visit, my doctor told me that I was pre-diabetic. It affected me more than I thought it would, since I had always assumed that it was inevitable that I would be diabetic. I decided I didn't want to be. My doctor referred me to a nutritionist.

I have a good friend who is a fitness fanatic, but she has never pushed me, realizing that our interests were just different. However, she told me about the My Fitness Pal app that I could put on my phone, just to become more conscientious about what I was eating. Boy has that worked! Since then I have downloaded the app onto my iPad and have logged in on my computer at home as well. By just following that, I lost four pounds in my first full week.

Anyway, that's it in a nutshell. I don't want to become diabetic and I do want to become healthier. I have started taking a yoga class (I thought that might be a little less intense than aerobics or Crossfit, since I'm just a beginner).

My biggest problem is that I love the foods that I need to cut down on - chocolate, pasta, potatoes, microwavable meals, etc. My nutritionist/dietician has given me some good suggestions, and I plan on following them as best I can. However, I know myself well enough to know that I can't make a 180-degree turnaround; I won't keep it up. So I'm doing the small steps, one at a time. I have become somewhat obsessed with logging in my food, though, and that seems to help.

One of my biggest challenges is cooking - I don't particularly like to cook, and my husband is not overweight, so I want to cook nutritious meals that he will like too that will help me on my goal, but won't make him suffer. RIght now I'm over 300 pounds, and I want to get to less than 200. I know I have a ways to go, but I want to do it.

Does anyone have suggestions as to (1) ways to keep me motivated, (2) quick, easy meals that are high in fiber and low in fat; (3) something that will help me with my chocolate cravings, and (4) general words of encouragement?

Replies

• ANuSeason
    Options
    Hello!

I just had to reply to your post. I have about 110 to lose. A friend of mine told me about this site awhile ago and just one day I woke up and told my husband. I am going to get started.

Here I am ! :)

I am 41 yrs old and I live in Louisiana. My husband is very fit and very on board with me and supportive. I am very driven and focused. I love to write and I am logging everything that makes it to my lips :) I am online everyday through out the day with computer or my iphone.

I have only been on this site for a week and have lost 7 lbs. I really desire friends to help me on this journey.

I am also looking for interaction with things supporting and encouraging one another and to share what we might have learned(while on this journey) that might help out.

I have been wanting to start a introduce myself thread for the past several days.... I just have been timid. I would love to be your friend! feel free to add me!

Dee :)
  • dbnotti
    Options
    Dee,
    I sent you a friend request - I appreciated reading your replies. I really hope I can keep up the momentum I have right now. Unfortunately, my big task for the day is planning my menu for the next week so I can go grocery shopping. With my new guidelines, I have a feeling that this might not be an easy task!

Good luck on your goals. It seems like we're in relatively the same place and have a lot in common. I live in Virginia. My husband is also very supportive of me. He always tells me that I am beautiful no matter what I weigh, but he is supportive of my becoming healthier. Of course, since he's not overweight he can't possibly understand the mindset I have to have right now. But I appreciate his support!

I'm not sure I will blog or post to the message boards every day but I hope to do so. I am definitely going to keep logging everything I eat.

I'd love to hear more from you.
  • pattydi
    pattydi Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Hi I was where you are just over 1 year ago.. I weighed 330 pounds when I started on MFP and I know and understand exactly where you are coming from. You came to the right place for help and support... Ultimately you know that it is YOU that has to do the work, but the support from everyone here is what kept and still keeps me going.. I've lost 114 pounds but have at least 60 or so more to go... I would love to have you as a friend so please feel free to add me... I am not an expert by any means, and I still stumble from time to time.. It is like you said small baby steps.. and the more you are here, the more you will learn!
    Best of luck to you hon.,,, You've got nothin to lose but pounds and inches..! :smile:
  • dbnotti
    Options
    Thank you for the words of encouragement! Reading about your progress is a big help, it shows me that I can do it if I keep it up. You wrote about baby steps. My first "baby step" is to lose 30 pounds. That will be (approximately) 10% of my body weight. If I can do that, I think it will be a good first step for me and show me that I can do it. If you (or any other friends) have any suggestions or strategies that worked for you, I'd love to hear them.
  • ladycanman
    ladycanman Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness. You all sound just like me. I have about 110-150 lbs. I would like to lose but is so hard. I love my progress so far though and look forward to more :) You all my add me if you would like and we can make this journey great for us all!!
  • missfitmama3
    missfitmama3 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi Dbnotti. I can really relate to you in that I love to eat!!! Potatoes, rice, pasta, bread. I am being realistic with myself. I know I will not cut those foods out completely from my diet, but I am practicing portion control as a start. Tracking calories really does help show you where the problem is in your diet. The great thing is that you are taking steps towards a healthier you! That is awesome! I also was told by my doctor that I was showing an insulin resistance, which comes right before being pre-diabetic. She said I can still reverse it by making changes to my diet and exercising. My advice to you is make every effort to get closer to your goal and don't give up! I'm sure you may have heard the quote "if it was easy, everyone would be healthy and thin". Yes, it's going to be hard. I just joined a gym and my body is all kinds of sore right now. I keep telling myself that the pain I'm feeling now is temporary and my health and body is really benefiting from it. Just think of it as growing pains. You're growing into a new, better and healthier you.

xoxo - missbadbx