Protein Shake.

Options
‘Afternoon My Fitness Pals :)

Quick Question for the once that takes Protein Shake every day!

Is it okay to mix PS with a glass of 1% milk? On the back of the container the direction states that to mix it with cold water and the taste sucks.

Again direction also states to take it twice a day (before workout and after workout) Do I really have to go for that? Or just once a day is plenty?

it recommends 3 scoops  does it sounds too much?

I use AMP (Advanced Muscle Performance)
Serving Size Three Scoops (79g)
Calories: 280
Calories from fat: 10
Protein: 60g

And finally, recommends any other brand protein shake?

Replies

• gailypooh1
    gailypooh1 Posts: 14
    Options
    I use myoplex protein powder. 2 scoops everyday. I dont mind it mixed with water but I also add frozen fruit and blend it in the magic bullet. Hubby uses it with milk and he loves it. I use it as a meal replacement. Keep trying the protein powders til you find one you love. There are several that I just cant drink no matter what I do to them and there are some I love. I have been using protein shakes since 2002.
  • ThumperWabbt
    ThumperWabbt Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with using 1%, just account for the calories. Tell you something that does help with protein shakes is blending it with ice...comes out more like a smoothy and the icy cold makes the taste more palatable for some reason.
  • speranza
    speranza Posts: 5
    Options
    It is perfectly fine to add milk, almond milk, soy milk, etc. I use EAS Chocolate Whey Protein Powder and just put a scoop in a cup of water pre and post workouts on most days. Consuming the protein powder is a quick, nutritious way to get a lot of protein n your diet, which you need if you are working out regularly.

Sometimes I make a smoothie using the following recipe, toss in all the ingredients into a blender and puree:

1 scoop of protein powder

1/2 cup fat free milk or unsweetened almond milk

1 cup of nonfat Greek yogurt

1 tbsp Whole Flax Seeds (I use 1 tbsp instead of the normal 2 tbsp serving size to save calories)

1 tbsp Wheat Germ (I use 1 tbsp instead of the normal 2 tbsp serving size to save calories)

½ cup of fruit whatever I have (fresh or frozen) blueberries, strawberries, banana, or if
    you can find it unsweetened Acai puree (its located in your freezer section)
  • AdymondNtheRuff
    AdymondNtheRuff Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I have to take protien everyday so I mix it up...
    I use 2 percent milk because I do not care for D. But if you like fruity... I use nectar 23 grams of protein it taste like crystal light and I mix it lightly with crystal light, it can be too sweet like cool aid. I also put fruit in it because you can mix this with any thing. They have several diffrent flavors. Go to vita cost.com it will cost 53.0 for 2 2.14 Lbs of powder. Also you can mix cappacino with coffee, water or milk but I also like silk soy choc or just make ice coffee... The flavors are fuzzy navel, cherry, crystal sky ( which Is my favorite) and cappacino. I know I'm missing some flavors but you will not be disappointed at go to the site and check the reviews. I hope this helps!!! I love them!
  • Trish02
    Trish02 Posts: 25
    Options
    here's my favorite...

1 scoop of protein powder (strawberry) *I used Body Fortress @ WalMart*
    4 pineapple chunks
    4 raspberries
    1c 1% milk/water
    2tblsp. ground organic flaxseed

This makes a little over 8oz. and is about 230 calories but it is filling. Sometimes if i'm running late on eating dinner, trying not going to my old habits of going to the drive thru I have a smoothie. I also have it after I workout too. looove it!
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options

Your body can only use about 30g of protein at a time. Any more than that just gets flushed out of your system. If you mix it with milk, you'll be getting that protein in addition to the protein in the powder, so I'd just cut down to one scoop at a time. I've got a protein mix that I use (Life's Best Plant Protein-- pea, rice & hemp protein with chia seeds) that isn't very tasty. I do blend it with almond or oat milk, and that helps. What I've decided is best with it though, is having it blended with coffee. Yummmm, a perfect pick me up in the morning or mid afternoon when I hit that slump. Another good protein mix is Spirutein (it's a soy protein with spirulina algae). Tastes good, mixed with everything, I especially liked it blended with plain soy yogurt and fruit.
  • jetSpeed28
    jetSpeed28 Posts: 34
    Options
    Hey Thanks for your response, i will give it a try.

and thank you everyone for your responses,

Cheers
    J

Your body can only use about 30g of protein at a time. Any more than that just gets flushed out of your system. If you mix it with milk, you'll be getting that protein in addition to the protein in the powder, so I'd just cut down to one scoop at a time. I've got a protein mix that I use (Life's Best Plant Protein-- pea, rice & hemp protein with chia seeds) that isn't very tasty. I do blend it with almond or oat milk, and that helps. What I've decided is best with it though, is having it blended with coffee. Yummmm, a perfect pick me up in the morning or mid afternoon when I hit that slump. Another good protein mix is Spirutein (it's a soy protein with spirulina algae). Tastes good, mixed with everything, I especially liked it blended with plain soy yogurt and fruit.