Is it impossible to lose weight with a thyroid problem??

Options
I think I may have one but I don't have insurance to go to the doctors n check. A few years ago I went to the doctors and they said my thyroid felt slightly enlarged. I haven't been back since to check n see if there is a problem because I can't. Maybe that is wat contributed to my weight gain and y i can't lose now. Idk.

But is it completely impossible to lose weight with a bad thyroid?

Replies

• msliu7911
    msliu7911 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    No, its not completely impossible. In fact, I think there are many natural remedies and lifestyle changes you can make to improve this issue if not eliminate it.

I'm not completely all about natural fixes for all illnesses and ailments, however I do think that many times people think medication is the answer but it really isn't. Google remedies for this...also- try using the Search function to see if this topic has been discussed in MFP before if no one else can weigh in on what has worked for them.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    You will likely have a very narrow margin for error and still have success.

Where a standard healthy but overweight person could take a deficit of X calories and not cause their metabolism to lower or to lose muscle mass as part of the diet, up until they have a lot less to lose.

You are basically starting at that point likely with a thyroid problem.

So where everyone says the last 5 or 10 lbs to lose is the hardest, and you must do everything right, you get that right up front usually.

More difficult, but not impossible.

Eat at reasonable deficit from whatever you really burn each day, not too big or it'll backfire quicker on ya.
    Gotta weigh food so you really know how much is going in to keep a reasonable deficit.
    Gotta exercise reasonably, too much will just be stress hormones that will fight fat and weight loss.
    Gotta estimate those burns decently so they don't create too big a deficit.
  • macybean
    macybean Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    It's probably not impossible, I lost weight even when I was hypothyroid, but you really should see an actual doctor. Look in you area for clinics that provide sliding scale fees or even free clinics. If you have a Planned Parenthood near you, they provide medical care based on income and can certainly check your thyroid. Have you applied for assistance and know you don't qualify? Hope you find some answers and are able to get some preventive care.
  • LadyBirdGo
    LadyBirdGo Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I agree with the post above me.
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    You need to find the capability to see a doctor. The thyroid controls the body's thermostat. It can cause a LOT of problems if it isn't functioning properly, and can even cause severe illness if left untreated. It's also one of the SIMPLEST things to treat.

Your health is more important than weight loss, isn't it? PLEASE see a doctor.
  • missfelicia6
    missfelicia6 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I just got my bloodwork back today and I have thyroid problems too :(

I will be having an ultrasound this week.

In 2009 I woke up in the middle of the night and my throat was closed up, I couldn't breathe. I went to the ER and they had an allergy test and an ENT look down my throat with a camera. He said my thyroid was enlarged and I need to follow up, I also had come back positive for an allergy to cats (which I had two cats at the time).
    I shrugged it off because I thought it was from the cats.

Last week I was fed up with gaining weight even with diet and exercise! They drew blood and sure enough! My thyroid levels are very low.

I cried all the way home because if I would have just taken the advice in 2009, I could have been on the right treatment by now and everything would be back to "normal".

Please get to a doctor SOON!!

This can lead to thyroid cancer, bone disease, and heart problems. The Thyroid is the motherboard for EVER hormone and cell in your body!

If you care enough about your weight, then the thyroid should be just as important!

I hope you get answers.
  • peasantsong
    peasantsong Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Well, I had a thyroidectomy 2 months ago so I don’t even have a thyroid but I am, slowly, losing weight. It is very difficult and I have to be very strict with my diet and exercise. There’s no room in my diet for cheating. Although I do allow myself one more relaxed meal per week, I do not go crazy and I still remain at my calorie goal for the day by eating less earlier that day. I began my new lifestyle 1/25 and I have lost 10 lbs since then through controlled diet and exercise. I cannot call this a diet because life without a thyroid means I will forever need to be mindful of what I eat and watch my weight. It is, indeed, a lifestyle change. I wish you good luck! You’re more than welcome to check out my diary if you need any guidance in that area. I am a low-carb vegetarian, in case you are wondering.
  • SneakyBat
    SneakyBat Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I have a thyroid problem..and PCOS too. With the right meds for your thyroid issue weight loss should be totally doable. I won't let it stop me :) Good luck!
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    I URGE you to find a way to get your thyroid checked.

You know all those disclaimers that say "Don't change your diet/exercise routine without seeing your doctor"? Well, if you have thryroid problems, then that applies to you even more. Applies to you, like, 10x more! Dieting while suffering from an uncontrolled metabolic/nutrient processing disorder can lead to permanent health problems. And if it's actually your pituitary acting up... then that's even potentially worse news. Please find a way to get your bloodwork done.
  • peasantsong
    peasantsong Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Oh my… I overlooked the part of your post where you said that you haven’t had your levels checked by your doctor. I strongly, strongly encourage you to find a way to get that done. You can go to your local urgent care and have it done at low or no cost if you are low-income. You must have your thyroid levels correct as it really does affect every part of your body. You could get seriously ill from having untreated thyroid problems. You could even have thyroid cancer which is very easily treatable but obviously can cause a heck of a lot of damage if left unchecked. We shouldn’t have to tell you this, though. Obviously if you don’t feel well and you suspect it’s your thyroid, it’s your responsibility to have it taken care of. I can tell you thought that it would be next to impossible to lose weight if I were not taking my thyroid replacement medication.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    Is it possible to lose weight with hypothyroidism? Yes, I did it with no medication, too. Is it harder? Yes, but if you go to the doctor and get on medication it will be easier.
  • islandmonkey
    islandmonkey Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Oh my… I overlooked the part of your post where you said that you haven’t had your levels checked by your doctor. I strongly, strongly encourage you to find a way to get that done. You can go to your local urgent care and have it done at low or no cost if you are low-income. You must have your thyroid levels correct as it really does affect every part of your body. You could get seriously ill from having untreated thyroid problems. You could even have thyroid cancer which is very easily treatable but obviously can cause a heck of a lot of damage if left unchecked. We shouldn’t have to tell you this, though. Obviously if you don’t feel well and you suspect it’s your thyroid, it’s your responsibility to have it taken care of. I can tell you thought that it would be next to impossible to lose weight if I were not taking my thyroid replacement medication.

^^ This.

Please go get your thyroid properly checked, especially since it was enlarged.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    a few dr's visits and blood work isn't that expensive. certainly less than a week's salary. and synthroid is c heap too

i could not lose weight without synthroid
  • Blakelynn3
    Blakelynn3 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    No. I have an under-active thyroid and PCOS. Both of which can contribute to weight gain and make weight loss harder. But I'm losing weight. Getting on meds to get your levels regulated is a must. You might have to work harder at losing weight, but it can absolutely be done.
  • Shellbug75
    Shellbug75 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    It is not completely impossible. I was diagnosed with a thyroid problem too about two years ago. I am on medication for it and I have lost 9 pounds in a little over two weeks.

I thought once I got put on the medication, my weight issues would go away. That wasn't the case. I continued to gain weight and swore it was because my thyroid was off and the medication was not strong enough. I would go back to the doctor to get blood work done, and my thyroid was at normal levels. The only reason why I am babbling on about this is because I don't want you to think (like I did) that getting put on the medication will start to take off the pounds.

A thyroid problem is a serious thing, please check with your doctor. It's a simple blood test and doesn't take much time at all. Good luck :)
  • Shellbug75
    Shellbug75 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    You need to find the capability to see a doctor. The thyroid controls the body's thermostat. It can cause a LOT of problems if it isn't functioning properly, and can even cause severe illness if left untreated. It's also one of the SIMPLEST things to treat.

Your health is more important than weight loss, isn't it? PLEASE see a doctor.

Completely agree.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,641 Member
    Options
    I think I may have one but I don't have insurance to go to the doctors n check. A few years ago I went to the doctors and they said my thyroid felt slightly enlarged. I haven't been back since to check n see if there is a problem because I can't. Maybe that is wat contributed to my weight gain and y i can't lose now. Idk.

But is it completely impossible to lose weight with a bad thyroid?
    Nope. I personally know someone who had a goiter and had half of her thyroid removed. She has to take thyroid medicine the rest of her life, but she has lost weight with correct calories and exercise.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • tifftheneutron
    Options
    I have struggled with my weight for years, and I have hypothyroidism. I am sure you can lose without medication, but it will be very slow and very difficult. At my worst, my quality of life was effected. I slept like crap, I was irritable, hungry all the time, headaches.. It was bad. A simple blood test will give you the answers, and generic synthroid is on the $4 med list at Walmart. With insurance I pay 60cents. 60 cents a month to have my quality of life back and take away one more thing that was holding my weight loss back is totally worth it.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    No of course not.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    If you are taking medication to regulate it, you would lose weight just like anyone else.