Cheat Days

Options
How do you justify a cheat day?

Replies

• CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I don't. If I go over one day, I go under other days. I make sure that at the end of the week, my calories balance. No cheat days for me.
  • jmcowan42
    jmcowan42 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I just try not to over do it. Definitely don't do it the day before a weigh-in, that'll just throw you off and discourage you. I just usually keep it to a cheat "meal."
  • RobinV_Seattle
    RobinV_Seattle Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Generally, I try to keep it to a cheat meal - not a whole day. And I don't justify it, I earn it by god!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I never needed cheat days. I eat everything I want every day, just within calories, so it's not necessary. Plus, I have no psychological need to "cheat" or be naughty or whatever. But cheat days are important to some people, so do what works best for you. A lot of people do cheat meals, rather than full days. Don't forget to log, even on cheat days. :flowerforyou:
  • jenilla1
    Options
    Generally, I try to keep it to a cheat meal - not a whole day. And I don't justify it, I earn it by god!

It's not a cheat if you earned it! :drinker:
  • chantelp89
    chantelp89 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I've accumulated around 2,000 left over calories over the last 10 days. Now I've got a cold and I just want to eat some Chinese food : (. I hear you guys about the cheat meals instead of days.
  • jenilla1
    Options
    So you've gone over by an average of 200 a day? Depending on your normal deficit, you may still be in a small deficit. That's ok. At the worst, maybe you'll just maintain, but I doubt you'll gain weight. Just keep the overall trend moving in the right direction! Start right back up when you're over your sickness. Just don't get crazy. Good luck!
  • msliu7911
    msliu7911 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I don't have cheat DAYS. A whole day of cheating (depending on how bad you cheat) can completely derail all the progress you made the days prior.

Instead, I do a routine of every 5 meals. So.. I eat good for 5 meals, then if I'd like for my 6th meal it can be a "cheat" meal. By no means is this meal a complete binge either. Keep it as reasonable as possible. This keeps me in line to where I'm not eating sweets every single day but more or less every other. :)
  • MavenMassage505
    Options
    GO FOR IT! Cheat days are so important on so many levels. Your body is recovering from having an intense week of strength training.. Micro tearing all of your muscles in the gym and they need to recover. A cheat day helps that happen. The other reason is mental recovery. You need to eat what you find enjoyable so you can go back to the intense routine without feeling neglected or you will never stay on your diet or excercise routine for the long haul. Ask any body builder or trainer this question and see what the answer is... Oh and the other thing. Don't feel guilt. Enjoy it. The weight you gain after a cheat day is just water and will be gone in a day so don't freak out. You can't gain a true five pounds in a day from indulging for one day.. It's fluid so go for it and enjoy.
  • Primrose_au
    Primrose_au Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I give myself one day a week where i can eat anything I want

Im told if I stick to too strict a diet my body will start hoarding. So to confuse it, I use that one free day to eat what I want then get back on track for the rest of the week.

But usually I just have a small taste of things I might crave during the week. Sunday is my free day.... no gym - eat whatever. Today Im cooking a Pork roast with baked potatoes and veg. My two boys look forward to it since we make them eat healthy during the week.

I work out 6 days a week, 3 cardio, 3 strength. Started 3 weeks ago. So far, so good.

EDIT: Oh, and final note..... portion size..... I've been looking at photos of what people have been eating here on the site and I am astounded at the excessive portion sizes of many of them..... moderation peole.

Cheers....
  • kerriegibbo
    Options
    My little bit of wisdom is brought about by experience. I have been on the Dukan diet and lost 57 lbs but it was not easy and not really the best way to go. I still have about 50 lbs to go. I do not find it easy at all to stay on a "diet". There will always be temptations that you have to avoid. I found that by not being so hard on myself if I "cheated" occasionally, it was easier to stay motivated and on track. I wanted a better, healthier way to lose the rest of my weight but still be motivated. Your own weightloss progress is a great motivator as well.

If you feel the need to "cheat" a little then go for it. Don't feel guilty, don't feel pressured - just do it. In the long run if you don't do it you, you may dwell on what you can't have rather than what you can and that is dangerous to your overall motivation to lose weight. Sometimes you need to let go and feel normal. We all have bad days and want to give up. It is better to give in occasionally as long as you pick yourself up and move forward.

Just a point on your accumulated calories - don't fall into the trap of believing that if you stockpile your excess calorie allowance it is okay to blow it because you have them in reserve. The body doesn't quite work that way. It uses what it needs to function and stores the rest as fat (usually in my butt). An extra 500 calories a day will add 1 pound per week.

As mentioned by others, limit yourself to a special meal rather than the whole day then get back on track. Good luck, don't be hard on yourself and enjoy the experience of getting healthy.
  • RobinV_Seattle
    RobinV_Seattle Posts: 191 Member
    Options

It's not a cheat if you earned it! :drinker:

Maybe - but on that one meal a week or so, I don't count calories, I don't care about the sauce or the condiments and if I want to have a beer or four with it, I do! What's the point of being so careful and conscientious the rest of the week if you can't just enjoy yourself every so often.

As I tell my trainer - I don't drag my sorry *kitten* to the gym because I enjoy it - any of it! - I do it so I can enjoy the rest of my life!
  • chantelp89
    chantelp89 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    So you've gone over by an average of 200 a day? Depending on your normal deficit, you may still be in a small deficit. That's ok. At the worst, maybe you'll just maintain, but I doubt you'll gain weight. Just keep the overall trend moving in the right direction! Start right back up when you're over your sickness. Just don't get crazy. Good luck!

I'm under, not over. I've lost 6 lbs in the last 10 days
  • theeidkid
    theeidkid Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    For the most part i stay active all week. My cheat day is the weekend, i eat whatever I want but dont eat til i burst. Again I stay ACTIVE i try to do my 20 minute walk or just something. i know I would loose more if i did not have a cheat weekend or holiday but if i had no cheat days i think i would food binge.
  • Joanitude
    Joanitude Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Different people - different plans. My plan is based strictly on Calories In vs Calories Out and log everything. I eat what I want, when I want, and how much I want. I just have to make it fit into my daily total. I want to eat more, I need to up the Calories Out to get it. For me, it really can be just that simple.
  • kerriegibbo
    Options
    My final thoughts on the matter. Everything you read here is what keeps each particular individual on track and moving forward. At the end of the day, you do what is right for you. As with all advice, it is there to help you decide the best course for you. Some advice will suit and some won't. Choose your path, take ownership of it and never feel guilty.
  • Pasukaru2
    Pasukaru2 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I don't. If I go over one day, I go under other days. I make sure that at the end of the week, my calories balance. No cheat days for me.

^ This

And also, I try to eat good food most of the time, but when I want to eat some junk food, I try to control the portions so it's going to fit in my calorie limit for the day OR I replace it by something else that will fit and that will satisfy my ''cravings''

I also, as many others said, try to keep it a cheat meal and not an Entire cheat day.
  • stines72
    stines72 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    i dont have a cheat day. my own birthday was the only time ive "cheated" in this whole time
  • southernmaidbrat
    Options
    I've accumulated around 2,000 left over calories over the last 10 days. Now I've got a cold and I just want to eat some Chinese food : (. I hear you guys about the cheat meals instead of days.

Egg drop soup!!!
  • Alissakae
    Alissakae Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I basically eat what I want every day, but I'm training myself to enjoy and want healthy food. If I want chocolate I have some. But I stay in my calorie budget. This has worked for me over the last six months. I've lost over 50 lbs without ever feeling deprived.